• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Someone breaks in - Do you yell that you're armed or not?

I would do just the opposite. Let them know you are armed and that you have called the police and they are on the way. When you are being sued for killing/maiming the guy that broke into your house (and you will) you will be questioned by the dead guy's families' lawyer. He will ask you if you did everything reasonable to prevent his client from being dead/wounded. If you did not do everything possible, he will exploit that to the jury, and may be able to convince them that you have some culpability. Obviously other factors can negate that.

Dave
Um, the jury does know that his client broke into my home right! Pretty sure my attorney will explain Castle Doctrin to the jury and add something like put yourself in my client's shoes. Its 3am, you wake up to a home invader in your bedroom. Do you think he's there for a cup of coffee or up to no good. Im not warning or giving away my position. I'm also not racking slides,etc.. I'm surviving.

Was just watching this older video discussing whether you announce to an intruder that your armed or not. Good points both for and against doing that. I'm thinking I'd announce I'm armed and are about to have a very bad day. Never really thought about this before, but interesting discussion.

Don’t announce, that’s like using your turn signal…giving information to the enemy…

Again, everybody thinks they are up against ex Navy SEAL, super-spy, criminal masterminds.
The idiot that invades your home is some moron looking for easy drug money. Why WOULDN'T you let this retard know you have a gun? He's going to turn around and find a softer target somewhere else. They aren't going to see it as a challenge and set up flanking maneuvers just to get your flat screen TV.

A simple "I've got a gun and I'm going to blow your f***ing head off!!" will short-circuit any ideas they have of a quick score.

I am disappointed in this thread

Not a single one of you has like a loud speaker or a bullhorn where you would announce something like :

" will you do me a kindness and just leave the property now otherwise.... Imma going to find your house, bang YOUR girl or wife.... leave a big upper decker in the toilet, and then throw your keys on the roof. "

I am disappointed in this thread

Not a single one of you has like a loud speaker or a bullhorn where you would announce something like :

" will you do me a kindness and just leave the property now otherwise.... Imma going to find your house, bang YOUR girl or wife.... leave a big upper decker in the toilet, and then throw your keys on the roof. "

View: https://youtu.be/x6QZn9xiuOE

Someone breaks in - Do you yell that you're armed or not?​

No, they'll find out as soon as the first shot is fired.

As far as the police know, I warned him. They can interview the splattered mess on my living room floor to confirm my story if they like.

But the dog growling and barking, even behind the fence, is a pretty good deterrent. He's a harmless goofball but super protective of the house and has a deceptively scary bark.

The fun nights are when I see some asshat sitting on my exterior stone wall smoking or talking on the phone. Time to test the first layer of home security by letting the dog out in the yard and watching the camera feed for the loud suprise [smile]

Call 911 and when dispatch picks up, you yell - I'M ON THE PHONE WITH 911 THE POLICE WILL BE HERE ANY MINUTE. GTFO MY HOUSE. Meanwhile, safety off, hearing protection on.
This is excellent advice. I would also shout the following:

This is excellent advice. I would also shout the following:
It really does protect you in retard jurisdictions like MA. When the 911 hears you on the other end of the phone doing everything you can to discourage the bad guy from coming further towards you in the house, if he still does, well, he doesn't need to know you have the red dot trained on the door, does he?

It really does protect you in retard jurisdictions like MA. When the 911 hears you on the other end of the phone doing everything you can to discourage the bad guy from coming further towards you in the house, if he still does, well, he doesn't need to know you have the red dot trained on the door, does he?
The joke was to shout nothing. Hence why nothing followed the : in my post.

This is a good exercise and a reminder to have a family plan.

I don’t care about property. There’s nothing material in my house that costs more than whatever the legal fees are of shooting someone.

If there’s a bump in the night we are retreating to a designated room. “I called 911. Police are on the way. Do NOT come through that door”.

Hopefully the intruder listens…
And hopefully the police show up.
I would follow your steps but wouldn't announce anything to give up my location.

Again, everybody thinks they are up against ex Navy SEAL, super-spy, criminal masterminds.
The idiot that invades your home is some moron looking for easy drug money. Why WOULDN'T you let this retard know you have a gun? He's going to turn around and find a softer target somewhere else. They aren't going to see it as a challenge and set up flanking maneuvers just to get your flat screen TV.

A simple "I've got a gun and I'm going to blow your f***ing head off!!" will short-circuit any ideas they have of a quick score.

I tend to agree with this assessment.

It's my house. He knows I'm in there. He hasn't found me on the ground floor, so he knows I'm upstairs. I'm not sure what I'm "giving away" by shouting down the stairs at him.

I get it that many posters here would just love to cap an evildoer in their house. I'd just as soon rather not kill anybody, especially if they're more than happy to leave once they realize I'm willing to shoot. I'd rather not clean up the mess, whether in court or with a sponge.

As far as the police know, I warned him. They can interview the splattered mess on my living room floor to confirm my story if they like.

But the dog growling and barking, even behind the fence, is a pretty good deterrent. He's a harmless goofball but super protective of the house and has a deceptively scary bark.

The fun nights are when I see some asshat sitting on my exterior stone wall smoking or talking on the phone. Time to test the first layer of home security by letting the dog out in the yard and watching the camera feed for the loud suprise [smile]

+1 the only warning he gets is my terrified cat vomiting on the kitchen counter, which is usually where he is at 3 am.

I tend to agree with this assessment.

It's my house. He knows I'm in there. He hasn't found me on the ground floor, so he knows I'm upstairs. I'm not sure what I'm "giving away" by shouting down the stairs at him.

I get it that many posters here would just love to cap an evildoer in their house. I'd just as soon rather not kill anybody, especially if they're more than happy to leave once they realize I'm willing to shoot. I'd rather not clean up the mess, whether in court or with a sponge.

If you’re moving around the upstairs and he hasn’t left, he’s either too high to hear you or is willing to do violence.

If you’re moving around the upstairs and he hasn’t left, he’s either too high to hear you or is willing to do violence.

How does he hear me moving around?

I'm a freakin' ninja, kehd!

I'm not betting on violence. I know it happens, but it's so rare as to be an infinitesimal risk. And if he wanted to hack me up with a machete, he'd have come straight up the stairs and would be in my room before I could wake up all the way. It's not a situation I'm afraid of.

And if he's high? All the more reason to tell him I'm going to shoot. What's he going to do, blow smoke rings at me? Cops are on their way, and I live a half-mile from the station. Bottom line: I'd very much rather avoid having to shoot someone in my house, for a whole host of reasons.

Um, the jury does know that his client broke into my home right! Pretty sure my attorney will explain Castle Doctrin to the jury and add something like put yourself in my client's shoes. Its 3am, you wake up to a home invader in your bedroom. Do you think he's there for a cup of coffee or up to no good. Im not warning or giving away my position. I'm also not racking slides,etc.. I'm surviving.
I’m not even clicking the safety cause it ain’t got one.

Did anyone post this yet?

Own a musket for home defense, since that's what the founding fathers intended. Four ruffians break into my house. "What the devil?" As I grab my powdered wig and Kentucky rifle. Blow a golf ball sized hole through the first man, he's dead on the spot. Draw my pistol on the second man, miss him entirely because it's smoothbore and nails the neighbors dog. I have to resort to the cannon mounted at the top of the stairs loaded with grape shot, "Tally ho lads" the grape shot shreds two men in the blast, the sound and extra shrapnel set off car alarms. Fix bayonet and charge the last terrified rapscallion. He Bleeds out waiting on the police to arrive since triangular bayonet wounds are impossible to stitch up. Just as the founding fathers intended.

I remember someone trying to break into my apartment in broad daylight. I looked over and someone was trying to open the screen window. I yelled “HEY!” and the guy ran off.

Wish I had a gun back then!

No, what you do is announce "I've got a crossbow and I know how to use it", that way they're doubly surprised by the fusillade of rifle rounds.

No, what you do is announce "I've got a crossbow and I know how to use it", that way they're doubly surprised by the fusillade of rifle rounds.
' i'm armed with a power of my intellect, be ready to get humbled and surrender immediately'

Back
Top Bottom