• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Some tips for a totally new hunter

bow

Here are the specs.
$599 for the package.
$699 includes 6 arrows, a hard sided case and a release.

The sight is a 4 dot optic. I would probably prefer an adjustable single for better field of vision but it seems that this package price can't be beat.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2011_Bowtech_Assassin_Package/bowtech_binary_cam_compound_bow.htm

Go out and shoot various bows. They all hold and shoot differently. You will know right away after handling them which you like and dislike. The arrow speed advertised is rarely the actual speed you will be shooting a hunting bow. The bow listed in the post will most likely not be @ 333 depending on the pounds,LOP and arrow/tip weight. To give you an example, I have a Bowtech Liberty. The advertised IBO is 302. With my setup it shoots around 250. Dont get to caught up in the pin count. A modern compound bow will shoot flat w/one pin out to 20+ yards.

Last edited:
OK, I'm new to this stuff. I always used to aim the arrow using the tip of the arrow. What is LOP, IBO, and what is "pin out"?

Was thinking I might try to get into bow hunting for this Fall, but I think my practice window time is drying up since I haven't acted yet.

Last edited:
OK, I'm new to this stuff. I always used to aim the arrow using the tip of the arrow. What is LOB, IBO, and what is "pin out"?

Was thinking I might try to get into bow hunting for this Fall, but I think my practice window time is drying up since I haven't acted yet.

LOP is Length of pull. It's the distance you pull the string from the bow based on your arm length etc.. IBO stands for Intl. Bowhunters Org.. and pin out is just a ref. to using only one pin to aim out to a certain distance. Slower/older bows needed 3-5 pins to reach out from 15 to 30 etc yards.

Thanks. I've heard of "Length of Pull" (but not the acronym). The others are new to me. I am stuck in the early 70's before compound bows came into being. I need some remedial classwork on this stuff. Actually, I might prefer a non-compound bow, but I don't know if my shoulder surgery would allow it. I actually contemplated getting the doctor's note for getting a crossbow.

Thanks. I've heard of "Length of Pull" (but not the acronym). The others are new to me. I am stuck in the early 70's before compound bows came into being. I need some remedial classwork on this stuff. Actually, I might prefer a non-compound bow, but I don't know if my shoulder surgery would allow it. I actually contemplated getting the doctor's note for getting a crossbow.

Welcome to the shoulder surgery club. It sucks. I've been told by a Dr. and Industry expert that a long/recurve bow is actually worse for your shoulder because of the constant pull and hold. If you go w/a compound be sure to go w/a hi % let-off and ask the dealer for a bow with a forgiving valley. Some bows at full draw want to, "Take off". Not being prepared for that take off can be damaging to a shoulder. You dont need to go crazy w/weight. 50-55 lbs will kill a Whitetail within 20-25 yards. I too have been going back and forth w/the crossbow thing. Call me thick, but I'm not ready to give up the bow.

Here are the specs.
$599 for the package.
$699 includes 6 arrows, a hard sided case and a release.

The sight is a 4 dot optic. I would probably prefer an adjustable single for better field of vision but it seems that this package price can't be beat.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2011_Bowtech_Assassin_Package/bowtech_binary_cam_compound_bow.htm

The webpage says that they have sold out. IMO you would be much better getting set up at a local shop that has a good bow tech. It will cost you more $$ but you will save a lot of aggravation getting the bow set up. There is a lot that goes into getting a bow set up and shooting properly.

Bob

Welcome to the shoulder surgery club. It sucks. I've been told by a Dr. and Industry expert that a long/recurve bow is actually worse for your shoulder because of the constant pull and hold. If you go w/a compound be sure to go w/a hi % let-off and ask the dealer for a bow with a forgiving valley. Some bows at full draw want to, "Take off". Not being prepared for that take off can be damaging to a shoulder. You dont need to go crazy w/weight. 50-55 lbs will kill a Whitetail within 20-25 yards. I too have been going back and forth w/the crossbow thing. Call me thick, but I'm not ready to give up the bow.

I have been hunting with a crossbow for years now and I still miss hunting with the compound. You will know when you are ready to make the switch. The pain ill make the decision for you.

Bob

Important: never draw a bow back with out an arrow nocked.
If something should happen, like you touch your release, or it fails and you dry fire your bow, most likely you can kiss
your bow good bye.

This. I was at a yard sale this summer, and some guy picked up a nice compound hunting bow and dry fired it. It blew up & the guy had to go to an ATM to buy the now broken/useless bow. Expensive mistake.

My suggestions, after only one (but a successful one!) shotgun deer season.
Spend the few bucks and get a butt-out tool.
Get a sharp knife, and watch videos of how to field dress a deer. I'd never even seen one done in-person, but did OK after watching vids. The guys at the weigh-in station couldn't believe I did it myself & it was my first.
You don't NEED a stand, but I've gotta believe having one would be a great advantage. I'd hang a ladder stand sometime soon so the deer get used to seeing it.
Scout, scout, scout. go out early in the mornings (before dawn!) and late in the afternoons, and get to know where & when the deer are moving in the areas you intend to hunt.
Have fun!

Welcome to the shoulder surgery club. It sucks. I've been told by a Dr. and Industry expert that a long/recurve bow is actually worse for your shoulder because of the constant pull and hold. If you go w/a compound be sure to go w/a hi % let-off and ask the dealer for a bow with a forgiving valley. Some bows at full draw want to, "Take off". Not being prepared for that take off can be damaging to a shoulder. ...

RIP!

I hear ya. The sudden pull when the muscle is tensed can probably do a lot of damage. Hey, who doesn't like a "forgiving valley"?

Go out and shoot various bows. They all hold and shoot differently. You will know right away after handling them which you like and dislike. The arrow speed advertised is rarely the actual speed you will be shooting a hunting bow. The bow listed in the post will most likely not be @ 333 depending on the pounds,LOP and arrow/tip weight. To give you an example, I have a Bowtech Liberty. The advertised IBO is 302. With my setup it shoots around 250. Dont get to caught up in the pin count. A modern compound bow will shoot flat w/one pin out to 20+ yards.
I actually don't like the 4 pins it comes with and would prefer a single pin with a ranging adjustment knob. I would prefer a larger field of vision.
The guys at the shop said if I wanted to change anything out I could trade up my parts with something at the shop to customize it. Nice of them.

Supposedly the Assassins shoot pretty close to their reported velocity. It's a little ahead of my skill level at this point anyway.

The webpage says that they have sold out. IMO you would be much better getting set up at a local shop that has a good bow tech. It will cost you more $$ but you will save a lot of aggravation getting the bow set up. There is a lot that goes into getting a bow set up and shooting properly.

Bob

I went to Big Al's in Seabrook and they convinced me to go with the Assassin. I ordered through them and they will set it up for me once it arrives. (adjust draw length to my body, set the peep sight correctly, adjust poundage and let me know how to do it on my own).

I get 2 months of free range time and the use of their virtual training machine. Since I'm a total newbie they will also provide instruction.

Very happy to have gone there. I don't think I could have just ordered it online and done this at home by myself.
My suggestions, after only one (but a successful one!) shotgun deer season.
Spend the few bucks and get a butt-out tool.
Get a sharp knife, and watch videos of how to field dress a deer. I'd never even seen one done in-person, but did OK after watching vids. The guys at the weigh-in station couldn't believe I did it myself & it was my first.
You don't NEED a stand, but I've gotta believe having one would be a great advantage. I'd hang a ladder stand sometime soon so the deer get used to seeing it.
Scout, scout, scout. go out early in the mornings (before dawn!) and late in the afternoons, and get to know where & when the deer are moving in the areas you intend to hunt.
Have fun!

A Butt-out tool. Interesting. I will look into it.

Back
Top Bottom