• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Some tips for a totally new hunter

My brother, me, and friend of mine took a hunter safety course over the winter and are looking to start hunting this season.

Currently it is the blind leading the blind.

We are looking to bow hunt during the deer season and am wondering what we'd need for gear. Again we are total newbies and to be completely honest the MA Hunter Education course taught us pretty much nothing.

Here is what I was thinking.
1. Bow (Probably going to Teepee Archery in Acton as it was recommended to us. Open to any other recommendations. NH stores?)
2. Arrows
3. Camo
4. Tree stand
5. Hunting license
6. Deer tag

Is it more complex than this? Any other advice?
I would rather get advice from this forum than someone in an archery shop. My experience at least with gun shops is that there is a lot of bad advice out there.

Last edited:
My brother, me, and friend of mine took a hunter safety course over the winter and are looking to start hunting this season.

Currently it is the blind leading the blind.

We are looking to bow hunt during the deer season and am wondering what we'd need for gear. Again we are total newbies and to be completely honest the MA Hunter Education course taught us pretty much nothing.

Here is what I was thinking.
1. Bow (Probably going to Teepee Archery in Acton as it was recommended to us. Open to any other recommendations. NH stores?)
2. Arrows
3. Camo
4. Tree stand
5. Hunting license
6. Deer tag

Is it more complex than this? Any other advice?
I would rather get advice from this forum than someone in an archery shop. My experience at least with gun shops is that there is a lot of bad advice out there.

Welcome to the addiction. It can be as easy or as complicated as you make it.

You MUST have:
1. License ( comes with two buck tags) and an archery stamp. If you don't yet have a doe permit there will be some available over the counter on the 11th IIRC.

2. Bow, arrows, broadheads, and a target or club to practice at. Some shops will give you some basic instruction on their indoor range when you buy a bow there. You need to practice a lot to become proficient. When I hunted with regular bow I used to practice about 8 hours a week during the summer. 3D shoots are a great way to hone your skills but the 3D season is coming to an end.

3. Really good boots and comfortable clothing. It doesn't have to be camo but it is nice. IMO it is much more important to be as scent free as possible and hunt into the wind. People have been killing deer in blue jeans for many years. It is very important to work out and use a layering system for your clothing. If you can't stay warm you can't stay still. If you can't stay still you will not see very many deer.

4. A good sharp knife for field dressing the deer. Zip lock bags are nice for the heart and liver if you intend to keep them.

5. At least 10' of rope to drag the deer out. I carry 20'.

6. A compass and a topo of the area you are intending on hunting. Take the Map, Compass, and survival course offered by DFW. It is awesome and it will teach you how to read a topo and navigate with a compass.

7. A good flash light and spare batteries.

I think that covers the absolute must haves for hunting. There are lots of nice to haves.

A range finder unless you are really good at estimating distances.

I hunt on the ground but if you want a tree stand make sure that you get a harness.

A GPS is a terrific tool.

TP is certainly helpful but I don't use white during the gun seasons.

The list is endless.

As far as getting started the very best way to speed up the learning curve is to see if there is someone that can mentor you. If not there are a lot of good books on the subject and that will help.

Bob

Bob pretty much nailed it. I've seen hunters that look like they're carrying half of Cabela's with them and then I've seen hunters with the bare minimum. Both have been successful. I started with the minimum I needed to get me out in the fields and be legal and then I acquired more gear as I found a need for it.

You can never practice enough. The more you practice, you better your shots will be when you get that perfect buck or doe in sight and your heart is racing. Just remember to not rush your shots and aim for a good, clean kill.

Practice. Lots and lots of practice with the bow. Learn distances and which pin to use for what distance. Also learn shooting from various angles (treestand) and how that effects where the arrow hits. A range finder would help.

You also need to learn where and when to hunt. Scent control.

Next year check out one of the archery hunting classes that the DCR puts on. I had been hunting for a while and it really helped.

pack some disposable gloves and a zip tie for the poop shoot for field stripping.

when you get some stuff drop me a PM and I'll take you on a target course.

Are you thinking of going out this season? If you are, your WAY behind.
I hope you can get proficient enough with a bow to make an ethical kill shot.
Your also gonna need lots and lots of money....

also a grunt or can call.

it is late to get started for this season, but archery does run through the end of the year although the conditions change a lot.

Next year check out one of the archery hunting classes that the DCR puts on. I had been hunting for a while and it really helped.

pack some disposable gloves and a zip tie for the poop shoot for field stripping.

A zip tie is easier but I use twine instead that way everything I leave in the woods is biodegradable. Birds of prey also frequent gut piles and if one ingested a zip tie it could kill them. JMO

However, I put the tag in a plastic sandwich bag and zip tie it to one of the legs.

Bob

Are you thinking of going out this season? If you are, your WAY behind.
I hope you can get proficient enough with a bow to make an ethical kill shot.
Your also gonna need lots and lots of money....

What he said, unless youre already proficient with a bow, you want to practice a lot on shot placement. Youre not likely to get a second shot, and if you dont hit where it counts you could chase a deer for 2 days before it keels over.

As for the hunter ed class, ya its more about the laws on hunting rather than how to make a kill.

Mom used to bowhunt and I believe she set pull weight to 60 lbs... I believe that was near the minimum and most folks set to 75 lbs (this is a lead-in to an actual bowhunter giving better advice hopefully).

Set too light and your chances of not killing the deer increase.

Thanks for the tips guys. Very helpful.

it is late to get started for this season, but archery does run through the end of the year although the conditions change a lot.

When you say it's late to get started for this season what do you mean? Again total newbie here.

I can probably be impulsive and pick up a bow this weekend. Practice I can take care of. I believe in constant practice so for pistols I already dry fire every time I'm on the toilet doing a #2 or #3 and in bed before and as I go to sleep.

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on that.

Welcome to the addiction. It can be as easy or as complicated as you make it.

You MUST have:
1. License ( comes with two buck tags) and an archery stamp. If you don't yet have a doe permit there will be some available over the counter on the 11th IIRC.

2. Bow, arrows, broadheads, and a target or club to practice at. Some shops will give you some basic instruction on their indoor range when you buy a bow there. You need to practice a lot to become proficient. When I hunted with regular bow I used to practice about 8 hours a week during the summer. 3D shoots are a great way to hone your skills but the 3D season is coming to an end.

3. Really good boots and comfortable clothing. It doesn't have to be camo but it is nice. IMO it is much more important to be as scent free as possible and hunt into the wind. People have been killing deer in blue jeans for many years. It is very important to work out and use a layering system for your clothing. If you can't stay warm you can't stay still. If you can't stay still you will not see very many deer.

4. A good sharp knife for field dressing the deer. Zip lock bags are nice for the heart and liver if you intend to keep them.

5. At least 10' of rope to drag the deer out. I carry 20'.

6. A compass and a topo of the area you are intending on hunting. Take the Map, Compass, and survival course offered by DFW. It is awesome and it will teach you how to read a topo and navigate with a compass.

7. A good flash light and spare batteries.

I think that covers the absolute must haves for hunting. There are lots of nice to haves.

A range finder unless you are really good at estimating distances.

I hunt on the ground but if you want a tree stand make sure that you get a harness.

A GPS is a terrific tool.

TP is certainly helpful but I don't use white during the gun seasons.

The list is endless.

As far as getting started the very best way to speed up the learning curve is to see if there is someone that can mentor you. If not there are a lot of good books on the subject and that will help.

Bob

Excellent advice

Practice. Lots and lots of practice with the bow. Learn distances and which pin to use for what distance. Also learn shooting from various angles (treestand) and how that effects where the arrow hits. A range finder would help.

You also need to learn where and when to hunt. Scent control.

3D shoots are excellent practice for hunting

What he said, unless youre already proficient with a bow, you want to practice a lot on shot placement. Youre not likely to get a second shot, and if you dont hit where it counts you could chase a deer for 2 days before it keels over.

As for the hunter ed class, ya its more about the laws on hunting rather than how to make a kill.

Find the max distance you can put all your arrows into an 8" circle and limit your shots on the kill zone of live deer to that range and you will be fine.

Mom used to bowhunt and I believe she set pull weight to 60 lbs... I believe that was near the minimum and most folks set to 75 lbs (this is a lead-in to an actual bowhunter giving better advice hopefully).

Innacurate advice. Minimum draw weight is either 40 or 45 lbs. Most people hunt with about 60. Modern bows are very efficient killing machines at 50-60 lbs.

When you say it's late to get started for this season what do you mean? Again total newbie here.

I can probably be impulsive and pick up a bow this weekend. Practice I can take care of. I believe in constant practice so for pistols I already dry fire every time I'm on the toilet doing a #2 or #3 and in bed before and as I go to sleep.

Its not too late, but it is close. Get started asap and set your limitations according to your ability so you lessen the chances of an animal suffering as much as possible. And you cannot practice the bow on your toilet....

Archery Plus in spencer is also an excellent pro shop. Make sure you spend some time with whoever you buy your bow from to get it set up properly for you and get some pointers on proper form. If you can go during the week during the day so the shop is less busy and you can get more instruction than you could on a saturday afternoon.

Important: never draw a bow back with out an arrow nocked.
If something should happen, like you touch your release, or it fails and you dry fire your bow, most likely you can kiss
your bow good bye.

Also becareful of torqueing your bow, especially when letting down. You can derail your strings and you'll have a mess
to deal with. The string grooves on the wheels and or cams are shallow.

I'd say: See if there's an experienced hunter at your club, or that you know, that can be a "guide".

My son wants to hunt - I'm no Bambi-getter ( used to do birds with my dad) but I know that there are plenty of deerstalkers at my club that will show him the right way.

Some things are best handed down in this way.

Do you know of any place to get Topo maps? I tried a few places a few weeks ago (Maynard Outdoor, EMS, Willow Books) but they do not stock them anymore apparently. Maynard Outdoor actually had a few old ones, but none for the areas I wanted (although I think I might have asked for too specific of an area so I might go ask again).

I know I can get some maps online from the USGS website in pdf version, but I'd really like some good quality physical copies.

Do you know of any place to get Topo maps? I tried a few places a few weeks ago (Maynard Outdoor, EMS, Willow Books) but they do not stock them anymore apparently. Maynard Outdoor actually had a few old ones, but none for the areas I wanted (although I think I might have asked for too specific of an area so I might go ask again).

I know I can get some maps online from the USGS website in pdf version, but I'd really like some good quality physical copies.

Call the Natick Outdoor Store. It was a while back, but they had a collection of old (i.e. paper) USGS Quads.

I don't use the old paper maps anymore. The last time I personally bought them was at a book store in Springfield which is long gone. I use a topo map layer on google earth and I print out a map of where I plan on hunting that day. I then put the map in a plastic sheet protector to protect it from moisture.

When I took the Map, Compass, and Survival course they recommended The Map Shack as a good source for Topos but I have never used them myself and that was many moons ago.

The Map Shack
www.baldwinmapshack.com

Bob

How do you guys feel about the Bowtech Assassin complete package?Its 600 for a compleye package up at Big Al's in Seabrook NH

Bowtech is a good brand. They have many different models.
Depending on what year it is, I heard there was a recall on most bowtech bow limbs. I'd look into that first.

it looks like a nice compact model.
what are the sights that come with it like? how does it compare with other replacement models? the sights are as important as the bow.

Dan at Big Al's is great to deal with.

Bowtech is a good brand. They have many different models.
Depending on what year it is, I heard there was a recall on most bowtech bow limbs. I'd look into that first.

FWIW I know that their service on the limb failures for their crossbows has been less than stellar based on all the crabbing over on the crossbow forum on AT. I know nothing about their verts and I have no personal experience with any of their bows.

Bob

it looks like a nice compact model.
what are the sights that come with it like? how does it compare with other replacement models? the sights are as important as the bow.

Dan at Big Al's is great to deal with.

Here are the specs.
$599 for the package.
$699 includes 6 arrows, a hard sided case and a release.

The sight is a 4 dot optic. I would probably prefer an adjustable single for better field of vision but it seems that this package price can't be beat.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2011_Bowtech_Assassin_Package/bowtech_binary_cam_compound_bow.htm

bow hunt

As far as a bow shop, consider Morse's in Southern NH top notch Hoyt (and others) dealer + tax free. Hunting from the ground ? The single biggest advantage during archery season is hunting from a treestand. Most of the hunting stuff needed is accurate. Don't put the cart before the horse. You need to get out there NOW and start scouting huntable (legal) spots that actually hold deer. When hunting w/a bow on Private Property w/written permission you can waive the 500 foot rule. (Something to consider) Remember, you only have a small range window for a clean,accurate shot. The, "Set up" when archery hunting is very important. The reason 10% of the hunters shoot 90% of the deer is because they scout and set up where the deer actually are. There is nothing more frustrating than sitting day after day for hours in a tree stand with out seeing a deer.

Last edited:
Here are the specs.
$599 for the package.
$699 includes 6 arrows, a hard sided case and a release.

The sight is a 4 dot optic. I would probably prefer an adjustable single for better field of vision but it seems that this package price can't be beat.

http://www.huntersfriend.com/2011_Bowtech_Assassin_Package/bowtech_binary_cam_compound_bow.htm

Thats a great deal for an excellemt bow. The crossbow issue was some years ago on some models, but that was resolved more than 3y ago iirc. their service is great these days. As for the limb recall, that was a few years back too on the bow that I currently own. That was fixed quickly, and all bowtech dealers replaced thier stock. You cant go wrong with thier bows, the biggest advantage is that the bow stays in tune, unlike a single cam or two cam design.

The cam system is darton's binary cam.

Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom