• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Some Pics from Area 7 Championship ***Lots of Photos***

That no shoot was playing chicken all day. I do think that rule needs to be changed. If you dent a NS, but it doesn't break the paper, it shouldn't count

I think the no shoot penalty should be twice the value of the actual hit you got on the NS. Just barely nicking the edge is the same penalty as shooting the NS in the face.

I think the no shoot penalty should be twice the value of the actual hit you got on the NS. Just barely nicking the edge is the same penalty as shooting the NS in the face.

So you want to see folks argue over if athe no-shoot was hit in the A zone or C zone?

Hell if you are going to hit the NS do it right! Head shot!

Jeff - he didn't actually nick the edge of the no-shoot. I thought the same thing when Mike and I were talking after the match. The bullet actually passed along the front surface of the target. It "skimmed" it leaving a mark but not actually penetrating the paper.

I say give him the penalty just because... [pot]

Hell if you are going to hit the NS do it right! Head shot!

Speaking from experience. [laugh] [pot] [pot]

Last edited:
I know for a HIT on a scoring paper target the bullet has to penetrate to paper... not sure why it's not the same on a NS.

I know for a HIT on a scoring paper target the bullet has to penetrate to paper... not sure why it's not the same on a NS.

neither am I but John Amidon was over at the stage multiple times on this same issue and that's what the deal is. We had people slice the target clean through, just cut through the top layers, and just leave a grease smear on it. I still say Mike did it just to be a wise ass [laugh].

Are you guys saying that bullets that skimmed along the no-shoot but didn't penetrate were penalized?

Hits upon scoring or no-shoot paper targets, must completely pass
through the target to be considered a valid hit and count for score or
penalty.

Are you guys saying that bullets that skimmed along the no-shoot but didn't penetrate were penalized?

penalty.

Yep. Not sure why. I suspect Amidon made a mistake.

Last edited:

penalty.

I guess I should have had brought the rule book to show Amindon

penalty.

Or

9.5.4 Radial tears will not count for score or penalty.

Wow. I'm surprised there was even a scoring question in the first place for something like that. But then I once saw a CRO calling mikes on a bonus target so I guess I really shouldn't be surprised.

Wow. I'm surprised there was even a scoring question in the first place for something like that. But then I once saw a CRO calling mikes on a bonus target so I guess I really shouldn't be surprised.

Oh yeah, I saw that too. He was a CRO at A7 too.[thinking]

No, they are not mikes. It's a bonus target. You can't 'miss' on a bonus.

Well.... there is one exception...

9.9.2 Moving scoring targets, which do not comply with the above criteria
are considered disappearing targets and will not incur failure to shoot
at or miss penalties except where Rule 9.9.3 applies.

9.9.3 Moving scoring targets will always incur failure to shoot at and miss
penalties if a competitor fails to activate the mechanism which initiates
the target movement.

True - but then it's a 'scoring mike' because of something you didn't do and you get the penalties. I couldn't find any reference to 'non scoring mikes' in the rule book. If you activate the target but don't get any hits, they're not mikes. Yes?

Correct. The term 'non-penalty miss' comes from the scoring software. The software ensures you've entered the correct total hits, including disappearing targets. To allow for non-hits on disappearing targets, it calls them non-penalty-misses so you can enter the non-mikes and get to the total rounds for the stage.

Actually, the Palm scoring system used at A7, for the disappearing targets (I'm trying to call them what the rulebook does - 'disappearing' targets - there is no reference in the rulebook to the term 'bonus' target), there wasn't an option to enter 'mikes' for the disappearing tagets. For the two shooters who had 9.9.3 applied to them, we had to list the 'misses' as procedural penalties. Hoping your experience with the un-informed CRO you mentioned wasn't when I was your CRO at A7 :)

Dave - we've never used disappearing targets in Boston so I never noticed that on ezwin and I don't use the palm that often. This is good info and thank you. And no - it wasn't at Area 7 and it wasn't you!

Last edited:
I've been telling myself that the humidity has caused my gun belt to shrink. Looking at the pictures I guess I'm not the only one. [rofl]

Edit: Note to self - New Years Resolution: Lay off the Doritos and dry fire every once in a while (don't go too crazy otherwise it counts as exercise). Get bigger belt.

Last edited:
No, they are not mikes. It's a bonus target. You can't 'miss' on a bonus.
I had this discussion with my instructor during my CRO course. He said that all possible shots needed to be accounted for, so on the disappearing targets the mikes are entered but are non-scoring ones. I seem to recall that Rob B. said that the Palm software had been corrected to accept the non-scoring mikes, but I never verified it.

I guess technically, you *can* miss, you just can't get penalized for it.

Back
Top Bottom