• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

some Mosin newb questions

I plan to pick up my first Mosin probably this week and have some quick questions regarding what to look for when selecting a good one. I know about the counterboring, so I will obviously check for that, but any other tips would be greatly appreciated. I called on them today, and was told that some have laminated stocks and are more expensive for some reason. Is the laminated stock version more desire able for some reason? I should probably mention that I plan to use it for an Archangel build, so the stock isn't really important, but I'm curious if the laminated stock versions had anything else that was desire able, and worth spending the extra cash on?

Wait you don't have a Mosin yet? I'm not your friend until you buy one.

Laminated stocks, very often the laminated stock models will have more mismatched (electropenciled) parts. I have one and it's all matching but Mosin forums will tell you that. If it goes bang it's good IMHO, Mosins are tanks.

Don't spend over $140 for a 91/30. You can always throw some BLO on a non laminated one and it'll look awesome.

http://www.classicfirearms.com/c-r-eligible/lng-m91-30-nagant

Buy it. Now.

Last edited:
If your not going to use the stock then stock condition is not an issue.
I guess the most important thing is to make sure is the bolt serial number and the receiver serial number match.
2nd ...the early/ early ww2 war years are usually better machined/made than the 44/45 years.
Hex receivers usually cost more but makes no really difference in rifle operation.
Oh on that Archangel build.... if you don't cut down the barrel.. remember Mosins were sighted in with the bayonet installed!
If you keep the original sights you will probably need to readjust the front sight

Enjoy!

If it's going in an archangel. Does it have to be a 91/30? Or could a $100 T53 fit the bill?

I always make sure the bolt is smooth.
Some shops will have them cleaned already. So looking down the bore is easy. If it's still in cosmo it can be tricky to see the lands.

Excellent, this is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for! I really want an m44, but all I can locate locally is a few 91/30s, so I may just grab one since I'd probably want one later anyway. I may, or may not cut down the barrel, depending on the overall condition.

Excellent, this is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for! I really want an m44, but all I can locate locally is a few 91/30s, so I may just grab one since I'd probably want one later anyway. I may, or may not cut down the barrel, depending on the overall condition.
M44 at collectible arms for 250 no tax

If it's going in an archangel. Does it have to be a 91/30? Or could a $100 T53 fit the bill?

I always make sure the bolt is smooth.
Some shops will have them cleaned already. So looking down the bore is easy. If it's still in cosmo it can be tricky to see the lands.

Mosin carbines work with the Archangel stock IIRC.

my T53 is one of my most favorite rifles and it only cost me $90. Flamethrower.

Back
Top Bottom