• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Some issues with my last Ar build

UPDATE:
So i got out to the range today and brought my other 20" AR. I used the same three mags with the same ammo. All three mags fired no issues from my other AR. Loaded mags up and tried it again on my problematic AR. Fired 180 rounds using all three magazines and all fired flawlessly. The only thing i did different from this trip compared to my other two trips was that i literally drenched my bolt and carrier in oil. Like to the point oil was covering the top of my mags after inserting. I am not shy about oiling/greasing parts but apparently this gun wants to run wet. Going to run another 200 rounds to be sure my next trip out but i can't help think there is still some underlying issue. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Thats painful to hear that you went through $500 worth of ammo to find out all you needed was $.10 of worth of lube .
Na i stocked up on $4 boxes of 5.56 years ago. Im still shooting surplus Malaysian 80's ammo i got years ago. I am hoping its just the lube but i have my doubts. My 4 other AR's do not need a waterfall of lubrication to work correctly.

Last edited:
Na i stocked up on $4 boxes of 5.56 years ago. Im still shooting surplus Malaysian 80's ammo i got years ago. I am hoping its just the lube but i have my doubts. My 4 other AR's do not need a waterfall of lubrication to work correctly.
Happy to hear it works. I do think its a bit strange it would need that much oil tho but I haven't used a wide variety of rifles yet.

it shouldn't need that mucb oil, I run my guns almost dripping with clp, but that's just because it makes it easier to wipe the bcg and upper receiver clean after a practice session. A properly tuned AR should run completely dry if it has to.

I haven't read every response in here, have you tried measuring some things and comparing them to the other uppers? Gas tube diameter, gas key loose or leaking?

I haven't read every response in here, have you tried measuring some things and comparing them to the other uppers? Gas tube diameter, gas key loose or leaking?
today was only my third time using the rifle. I went out today with the intention of ruling out certain parts but it worked flawless today. I will not add any more oil and run more rounds through it and see what happens before i take further measures. Maybe possible the bolt or upper needed a little brake in.

UPDATE:
So i got out to the range today and brought my other 20" AR. I used the same three mags with the same ammo. All three mags fired no issues from my other AR. Loaded mags up and tried it again on my problematic AR. Fired 180 rounds using all three magazines and all fired flawlessly. The only thing i did different from this trip compared to my other two trips was that i literally drenched my bolt and carrier in oil. Like to the point oil was covering the top of my mags after inserting. I am not shy about oiling/greasing parts but apparently this gun wants to run wet. Going to run another 200 rounds to be sure my next trip out but i can't help think there is still some underlying issue. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

today was only my third time using the rifle. I went out today with the intention of ruling out certain parts but it worked flawless today. I will not add any more oil and run more rounds through it and see what happens before i take further measures. Maybe possible the bolt or upper needed a little brake in.

Clean it and relube it WET before your next range trip.

ALL ARs need to be broken in, they are machines just like an engine. You've got surfaces that need to mate together and wear in to each other.

As I posted in post 15, it looked quite dry.

I take all my builds, soak them down with a grease/ oil mix as shown in that video and then run 10 full mags through them rapid fire before even adjusting sights.

UPDATE:
Im in the camp if it needs that much lube to run something is wrong.

ALL ARs need to be broken in, they are machines just like an engine. You've got surfaces that need to mate together and wear in to each other.

I take all my builds, soak them down with a grease/ oil mix as shown in that video and then run 10 full mags through them rapid fire before even adjusting sights.
Do you do a barrel break in or just dump 300 rounds ?

Do you do a barrel break in or just dump 300 rounds ?
My two BCM uppers i broke them in as recommended. My cheap uppers i usually just clean,lube and have at it. First time ever having issues with this platform.

I hear you Uzi but those pics were taken after i started wiping things down looking for any unusual wear. Hopefully ill be good going forward.

My two BCM uppers i broke them in as recommended. My cheap uppers i usually just clean,lube and have at it. First time ever having issues with this platform.

I hear you Uzi but those pics were taken after i started wiping things down looking for any unusual wear. Hopefully ill be good going forward.
you play with enough of them you eventually have problems.
I built out 15 ARs with parts from the extreme ends of quality. I since sold them all except my NRA service rifle and my plain jane A2 oh i have a 18" Bull barrel thing i built up?
Any how only problem I, had in those 15 builds is a upper lower receiver set bought from a discount vendor did not line up on the rear hole. It was the upper rear pin hole. All my uppers fit the lower. Company refunded my money because they said they had a string of bad ones. So I grabbed the drill and made it fit.
Mechanical failures, been lucky 0 in 13 years and about 25,000 rounds through 5 ARs (I built 8 ARs that did not see more than a 100 or so rounds 2 never seen a shot 204 ruger and 300 ) thats not a lot. Dealing with all my friends with ARs I,have noticed if your going to have issues they like to expose themselves early on or ar high round count.
I had one crappy barrel gas port miss alignment
I took the crappy gas block and did a hack fix by opening up the gas port on the gas block wide enough to get over the barrel port. That cheap build is still going strong. i put 3000 rnds of crap through it before my friend begged me to sell it to him. Its been abused, and still kicking....cleaned and lubed. No .......he finally cleaned it after like (he would bore snake it ) 5000 rounds because it was getting everythin g dirty!

Last edited:
A few years ago I built a new upper complete with a new bolt. Slow fire was fine, bolt was locking back, etc - but was getting jammed up when I used a mag. I forget what the exact issue was. Took the rifle off the line, liberally sprayed some lube on the bolt and inside the upper - problem solved. Just needed some break in. No issues ever since, and I run it with a "normal" amount of lube now.

Back
Top Bottom