Some help choosing a new universal sight tool

I'm looking for a sight tool that will do it all...and not break the bank. I've seen that the MGW Sight Pro is definitely the tool to buy however it's $300+ and you need a shoe for every type of gun you want to work on which costs $17-20 each. That's too expensive for me. I'm looking $60-$150

I have an MGW just for Glocks. That works fine for just Glocks but won't work on anything else.

I have a sightpusher.com universal pusher however the slide almost always deflects (tilts) when pushing a tight fit sight in and out. It's not ideal and I get nervous I'm going to snap the slide rails or dig into the finish of the slide. It clamps a bit less than 1 inch of the slide so I think a pusher that clamped more of the slide would work better.

I've been looking for a sight tool that does the following:
  • Will handle Glocks of any size (42 and 43) as well as CZ's, XD's, 1911s, etc.
  • Clamps the slide so it doesn't deflect
  • Is able to do angled sights (not so important because I have the glock sight tool)
  • Able to do front dovetails without pushing the sight blade (push the base instead)
  • Won't leave marks on the slide or the sight

Here are the ones I'm looking at. If any of you guys have any opinions feel free to chime in.

B&J P500 $140
Looks good however I see reviews that the pin may break pretty easily.
They have a "pro" version which holds the top down which prevents the slide from deflecting.
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...vers/p500-universal-sight-tool-prod17840.aspx
163458.jpg

Sightpusher.com X2 $95
There isn't a ton of info on it but it looks like it could work. Not sure about how well it would do angled sights.
https://sightpusher.com/product/x2-handgun-sight-tool/
X2-tool.jpg

Wheeler sight pusher $190
From pictures it looks like it would only do a front sight by drifting on the blade which isn't ideal. I don't know if it's just a bad pic.
I also don't know whether I am a fan of the construction. The piece that does the drifting isn't directly in front of the threaded piece like other tools. I wonder how much leverage you lose this way.
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...s/armorers-handgun-sight-tool-prod104737.aspx
354154.jpg

Last edited:
Just an update: I ordered the X2 Sight tool on August 21st and saw that payment was processed.
I never received any tracking info and emailed www.sightpusher.com 2 days later and they responded with a 1 liner "It will be refunded had a problem with trying out a new payment processor."

Weird... so I asked if they were still selling it because I still wanted it and was told to paypal the amount to them which I did. I emailed to say I had completed payment and they responded with "Thank you for your business, I will get tracking details to you ASAP!" - this was Friday the 25th

I just emailed them again today to ask for a tracking but I haven't heard any reply.

In another day I'll file a case with Paypal to have them remove the charge if they don't reply.

Kind of sucks nowadays to run a small business. It seems that everyone is upping their operational game and getting inventory out ASAP with tracking #'s etc.
People (myself included) don't have the patience to wait.

A good vice and a set of steel, brass, aluminum, and/or nylon punches are about as universal as possible.
The Wheeler pusher looks pretty nice. I have a MGW Sig P-series and Glock pushers that I got before I knew better.
A dedicated pusher is requires less skill/consideration than a punch but isn't really necessary or cost effective unless you are drifting dozens of sights.
The other problem with pusher is that you can definitely apply too much force on a sight that needs to be slightly fit or snap fragile front sights.
I've changed as many sights (~20) with a drifter vs the punch and a prefer the punch just because it is more direct and less fiddly.
Just my two cents.

A good vice and a set of steel, brass, aluminum, and/or nylon punches are about as universal as possible.
The Wheeler pusher looks pretty nice. I have a MGW Sig P-series and Glock pushers that I got before I knew better.
A dedicated pusher is requires less skill/consideration than a punch but isn't really necessary or cost effective unless you are drifting dozens of sights.

This. I used to brutally beat sights where i wanted them..i bought a sig pusher since I'm mostly a sig guy.(even the sig pusher isn't universal with sigs)

If your careful a hammer and punch is the way to go, less likely to do damage than the wrong pusher.

Two things that bring a smile to my face is drilling a hole in the dash of someone new vehicle and moving somones sights.....it only take me one hit before the owner is like "no thats good"..

Between my hammering and holding one thumb on my nose and the other a foot from my face figuring out which way to move a sight. Most noobs think im retarded and the people in the know dont ask me to hammer their guns.

I have the exact opposite experience. Some factory sights really don't want to come off, let alone put new ones on.

I will admit I have damaged sights and finishes of guns before with a hammer and punch. Never with a sight tool. I find myself much more precise and able to apply pressure exactly where I want it with a tool.

And when it comes to micro adjustments how do you do them when you are at the range and your POI is off by 1 inch a 20 yards? I can't imagine breaking out a hammer and punch set.

For me having a universal tool is essential for independent sight adjustment and replacement. No more hammer and punches for me.

I never damage them with a punch, you have to be very careful using a pusher with the "fiber optic sights"

I never damage them with a punch, you have to be very careful using a pusher with the "fiber optic sights"
Why is that?
The pusher is supposed to drift the base of the sight not the blade.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

"And when it comes to micro adjustments how do you do them when you are at the range and your POI is off by 1 inch a 20 yards? I can't imagine breaking out a hammer and punch set. "

You do it gently, if you go to far you hit it the other way.

"And when it comes to micro adjustments how do you do them when you are at the range and your POI is off by 1 inch a 20 yards? I can't imagine breaking out a hammer and punch set. "

You do it gently, if you go to far you hit it the other way.
Yes I've played that game. No more ping pong for me.

Do you bring a vice with you to the range?

Why is that?
The pusher is supposed to drift the base of the sight not the blade.

If you use the wrong pusher, it can slip and break them depending on the design of the sight.
Ive done it to one and watched in anticipation as ive seen orher do it... although ive seen people break them with a punch aswell.

If you use the wrong pusher, it can slip and break them depending on the design of the sight.
Ive done it to one and watched in anticipation as ive seen orher do it... although ive seen people break them with a punch aswell.
Yea you can break anything with any tool I guess.

I've never broken any sights with sight tools but I have marred finishes with punches.

To each his own I guess.

Yes I've played that game. No more ping pong for me.

Do you bring a vice with you to the range?

Punch and hammer are for squibs, concrete steps and a piece of leather is my prefered method when not in my reloading room

Yea you can break anything with any tool I guess.

I've never broken any sights with sight tools but I have marred finishes with punches.

To each his own I guess.

True.. brass punches are quite forgiving if your not pushing sight on a multi thousand dollar gun.

Sig told me to only expect 3-5k rds out of their fiber optic sights....ive found they last alot longer than that...but i try not to get solvent on them.

True.. brass punches are quite forgiving if your not pushing sight on a multi thousand dollar gun.

Sig told me to only expect 3-5k rds out of their fiber optic sights....ive found they last alot longer than that...but i try not to get solvent on them.
There's a lifetime to fiber optic sights? I have probably 15k + out of one of mine and have never changed it.

You guys probably think im a big hack.. I should pull out the first handgun i ever owned. Ive been ruff on her. Its where i learned blemishes add "character"..this sig p220 equinox has been carried for 5 years, dropped, lost in rivers, taken as evidence by the police. Shes still in good shape. Ill dig her out tommarrow and post a photo.

There's a lifetime to fiber optic sights? I have probably 15k + out of one of mine and have never changed it.

I guess. I had about 25k before the fiber fell out of the optic. Not a big deal, i wouldn't change them until they are broken.

You guys probably think im a big hack.. I should pull out the first handgun i ever owned. Ive been ruff on her. Its where i learned blemishes add "character"..this sig p220 equinox has been carried for 5 years, dropped, lost in rivers, taken as evidence by the police. Shes still in good shape. Ill dig her out tommarrow and post a photo.
Hahaha. Yea I'm rough on a few of mine as well. 13k rounds with no lube or cleaning.

But I never lost it in a river and the police have never taken it as evidence. You gotta tell that story.

I have carried while swimming before and shot underwater and have run over a gun before to see what would happen (nothing). I'm probably a big hack as well.

the Maryland Gun Works sight press fantastic. buy once cry once.
It does look nice. But for 300 and needing a shoe for every different kind of gun you want to push, you be better off bring your gun to a gunsmith.Which i wouldn't be suprised if he hit it with a punch.

You'd better own some expenaive guns if you got 300 to spend on a pusher youll use a few times.

Hahaha. Yea I'm rough on a few of mine as well. 13k rounds with no lube or cleaning.

But I never lost it in a river and the police have never taken it as evidence. You gotta tell that story.

I have carried while swimming before and shot underwater and have run over a gun before to see what would happen (nothing). I'm probably a big hack as well.

Ill get some photos of mine, i dont carry her for sentimental reasons. It looks great still. I sent it to sig at
Iike 40k when it came back I couldnt tell if they cleaned it or completely refinished it.

It does look nice. But for 300 and needing a shoe for every different kind of gun you want to push, you be better off bring your gun to a gunsmith.Which i wouldn't be suprised if he hit it with a punch.

You'd better own some expenaive guns if you got 300 to spend on a pusher youll use a few times.
It's one of those things that if you use it for the next 10 to 20 years it's fine. It pays off.

And it only takes one expensive gun to screw up.

Thats why i bought my pusher.

I had flipped an atv in a river and near drown. I lost my gun and my leatherman multi tool. Found the leatherman pretty quickly. 4 hours later wading in The water i found the gun. It was all rocks so i knew I'd find it. If it was muck it would have been lost without a metal detector.

own 2 guns and want night sights -> pay someone else to swap your sights

into shooting and want ability to drift or replace sights -> buy a high quality sight pusher.

i've dicked around with various sight pushers and all garbage except for the MGW. i'm sure others make solid sight pushes but the MGW is the only that I've used and haven't cursed out or throw across the room. and for $300 it's well worth the $$. one dumps $600+ on a stupid glock. look at the machining quality that goes into an MGW pusher.

BTW the MGW shoes are under $20 online. also well worth it.

--

none of this is unique to firearms. same principle with most tools.

Last edited:
I almost have to agree with that, it is a buy once cry once thing.
IDK how many handguns off hand i own, but my pusher works for 85% of them correctly and the rest it can be used but not ideal.. i do have a few oddballs that i wouldn't even attempt using it on.

Ive got to say the majority of the handguns ive bought new were dead nuts as is, but i dont buy junk either

Just an update.
I opened a case through PayPal because I didn't receive my pusher and haven't received a response from the seller at www.sightpusher.com .

Then I received a refund.

So buyer beware: there are issues going on at sightpusher.com

I got my money back and they were very prompt with the credit so I don't think they are intending to defraud anyone... But something isn't right.

So maybe I bite the bullet and buy the mgw.

Back
Top Bottom