Some days suck

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I'm wondering why not just get the shot now? Any bad side effects associated with the shot?
I have been trying to get the shot for a year but it only comes out at certain ties and i always missed it. GET IT ASAP.
"50 and older

Shingrix is a vaccine that's used to prevent shingles (herpes zoster) in adults ages 50 and older. It's not approved for use in adults younger than 50. Also, it's not meant for use in preventing chickenpox (varicella)."

It's only approved for 50+.

I have just a couple years to go.

I'm going to wait it out and hope for the best.

I just talked to my doc about it.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Sorry to hear it, man. Ask about viscous lidocaine mouthwash for now. Postherpetic neuralgia only hits around 1:5 cases but there's gabapentin if you get it.
Also, you can try what is commonly referred to as Magic Mouthwash, Benadryl, Maalox, and Lidocaine. Chemo patients say it helps, but doesn't cure the pain for long.. Your nerve pain must be excruciating! I really hope you get well soon

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.1%
52   1   0
OP, very sorry about this. I hope you can get it under control very soon.

My PCP recommended getting the shots and we did it a couple of months ago with the 2nd dose a few weeks ago.

I'm wondering why not just get the shot now? Any bad side effects associated with the shot?
Yes, there is a long list of side-effects. My Wife had no bad reactions. I, on the other hand, had a fever and shivers (both listed as side effects that affect ~50% of people getting the vaccine. It only lasted one night and it happened for each dose.

I have been trying to get the shot for a year but it only comes out at certain ties and i always missed it. GET IT ASAP.
Sam's Club in Hudson, NH had it as of a few weeks ago. I think that Costco in Dedham has it too. I am not certain that you have to be a member to use the pharmacies in these places. I do recall asking but don't remember the answer (I've been a member of both for >20 yrs each). Our insurance covered the shots 100% as well.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
oh shit mr. o, that's horrible. wishing you a speedy recovery.

Any bad side effects associated with the shot?
i had the shingrix shots last year and happy to report no side effects. my pharmacist said the most common side effect with her patients was pain and discomfort at the injection site. more so at the 2nd shot than the first. as i said, i came through unscathed.

cams

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That sucks man. Jesus, heard shingles was awful, can’t imagine having it in your damn mouth. Eek.
Hope it gets better soon GaryO!

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
BIL had it on his face, SIL had it on her... well. Let’s just say it was “lower.”

He said he wanted to die. She said the pain was worse than childbirth.

Sorry, OP. Good luck.

nutsym16

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just had MRI monday. Got the news Wednesday .Ruptured Disc, can barley walk 12 feet. No operation for 2 weeks. It's lay down or no standing. Had back operation in 1975 for the same thing, different disc.way more pain than the last one. I have turned into a bed ridden crusty old bastard . Thank you for letting me vet. I hope all of us get well soon

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Just had MRI monday. Got the news Wednesday .Ruptured Disc, can barley walk 12 feet. No operation for 2 weeks. It's lay down or no standing. Had back operation in 1975 for the same thing, different disc.way more pain than the last one. I have turned into a bed ridden crusty old bastard . Thank you for letting me vet. I hope all of us get well soon
Back surgery has come a long way since the 70s. In 04 I had a 5 level fusion and they had me walking 15 minutes after getting to my hospital room.
Good luck with your back and just remember listen to the physical therapist, they really help.

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Also, you can try what is commonly referred to as Magic Mouthwash, Benadryl, Maalox, and Lidocaine. Chemo patients say it helps, but doesn't cure the pain for long.. Your nerve pain must be excruciating! I really hope you get well soon
I used the viscous lidocaine last night, it gave me a 5 minute window to brush my teeth.

radioman

NES Member
Rating - 96%
24   1   0
Did they give you pain meds?

Or did tall Deval say you couldn’t have them?

AH doctors because of tall Deval won’t give pain meds even if you have
an arm off. Pendulum swing of the drug epidemic. People who
need medicines can’t get them.

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Did they give you pain meds?

Or did tall Deval say you couldn’t have them?

AH doctors because of tall Deval won’t give pain meds even if you have
an arm off. Pendulum swing of the drug epidemic. People who
need medicines can’t get them.
All I am using is advil.

radioman

NES Member
Rating - 96%
24   1   0
All I am using is advil.
That"s outrages!!

If it’s working for you great.

If not I’d demand Vicodin or Percocet.
Pain like yours requires a big boy pain reliever.
Doctors are afraid to prescribe them because
of Beacon Hill. If you make a big enough stink they
will give them to you. I’m a chronic pain sufferer, 15 years,
and I know the struggle. Good luck to you.

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
That"s outrages!!

If it’s working for you great.

If not I’d demand Vicodin or Percocet.
Pain like yours requires a big boy pain reliever.
Doctors are afraid to prescribe them because
of Beacon Hill. If you make a big enough stink they
will give them to you. I’m a chronic pain sufferer, 15 years,
and I know the struggle. Good luck to you.
I deal with chronic pain and use belbuca to manage it. I plan on calling the pain clinic Monday to see if they will give me something to help with this. I see a lot of scrambled eggs, eating is not fun but luckily I have a built in store of fat to keep me going.

Brewer

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Remember a big part of Advil is the anti-inflammatory effect (vs Tylenol addressing pain but not anti-inflammatory). Chilled protein shakes have thermal anti-inflammatory and can go down fast.

Parker Duofold

NES Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I had a shingles shot about 10 years ago. Then, this past year, I had the "new" shingles shot which as others have said is a two injection process. Both times I had pain around the injection area for a week and one day of feeling crappy. Get those shots when you can!

Top Bottom