• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Some Advice on Bows

So been shooting for a while, but im just taking up hunting and a total newb to archery. I just bought a used bow and wanted to get it adjusted for me. Is it possible to adjust a bow yourself or is pro service required? Im guessing a pro would be best, anyone recommend someplace in the taunton to fall river area, and what does this service cost?

Thanks

Check out the manual. Some bows require the use of a bow press to adjust the draw length, some don't. Adjusting the draw weight should not be a problem. You'll likely want to use a bow square to set the nock position. If you do adjust the draw weight yourself, I suggest using quality tools. But being that it's a used bow, I'd have a shop set it up for you the first time around.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Check out the manual. Some bows require the use of a bow press to adjust the draw length, some don't. Adjusting the draw weight should not be a problem. You'll likely want to use a bow square to set the nock position. If you do adjust the draw weight yourself, I suggest using quality tools. But being that it's a used bow, I'd have a shop set it up for you the first time around.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk

thanks, what do you thinks a fair price for them to give it a once over

Take it to a pro shop. You can google Archery shops, in your area. It will be money well spent , especially to get correct draw length, poundage set for you, and check string and cables, especially if it is a compound bow. Good Luck, please post whom does your tune up, another suggestion is to inquire about proper length arrows and weights for them.

The shops I know, while good with their product, tend to push their new product more than help with others', especially used. Your mileage may vary.

Some of this may be outdated, but hopefully others will chime in. I am an old time fingers shooter and haven't kept up with new tech and may not be much help. We had plunger buttons on the rests and aluminum arrows and cams were just starting to come out.

This is based on mild cam or no cam bows, but there is not much to setting up a bow really. Make sure limb adjustments are made in similar amounts, check your nock point, your lateral rest adjustment and be sure arrows are spined for the draw weight.

If you have an arrow with no fletching, set up a big sheet of paper 6' in front of you (3' from tip at full draw). You want as close to a perfect circle as possible. Any tearing will show what adjustments need to be made. Tear above/below shaft hole is nock point adjustment. Tear to side is lateral adjustment. This is assuming properly weighted arrows and good follow-through on the shot. The paper has to be close enough to be impacted before the arrow wobble can really get started, although technically it starts as soon as it clears the rest.

And what Kabonka added also. Check cables and string absolutely. If the string is kevlar or one of the superfilaments it should be fine. If it is just the old, traditional multistrand I would replace it. They tend to get weakened under the loop wraps where they hook onto the cable.

I feel like an idiot because I used to be a certified instructor and I can't even remember the terminology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just go to Reedy's and be done with it. Chris will take care of you.

Not sure of you are near Middleboro. He's the man.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

The shops I know, while good with their product, tend to push their new product more than help with others', especially used.

Ya I kinda figured this would be the case

- - - Updated - - -

Just go to Reedy's and be done with it. Chris will take care of you.

Not sure of you are near Middleboro. He's the man.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

im close to Middleboro and was told the same from a co worker, il check them out

ok, is it as bad as four seasons on a weekend?

I know it is when it's close to archery season. You can be waiting a long time!! 3d season is here now and I'm sure people are still having their bows worked on. I know I'll be there at some point this weekend, I need a peep and a D loop installed, and want to look at some trad bows.

Luck for me I live about a min away. If its too busy I go home, not worth waiting around for what could be hours before your up. I like to go around closing time, usually nobody there.

When I shot a compound, I always took it to a shop for adjusting. I would take it to a shop for insurance when out hunting. That's not to say you can't do it yourself.

I shoot a recurve now but, still get my strings made at a shop.

StevensMarksman

Reedys is a great, well stocked shop where you can be forgotten about. Easily. Get there early and where bright clothes so people notice you. They cater more towards the hunter.

X Spot in one of the Attleboro towns. Cant' remember which one. Trader Jans in Fall River. Not as much inventory as the other shops, but Iv'e been treated very well every time I go there.

What exactly is wrong with the bow? If you need arrows, tips, etc. PM me, I've got some extra stuff lying around.

Which bow did you purchase? Type of bow? Depending on the construction, it may not be able to be fitted to you (such as not being able to match your draw length).

You mention being new to archery. Take a lesson or two at a minimum, in my opinion, and learn proper form. Save your shoulders, and don't be overbowed!

Which bow did you purchase? Type of bow? Depending on the construction, it may not be able to be fitted to you (such as not being able to match your draw length).

You mention being new to archery. Take a lesson or two at a minimum, in my opinion, and learn proper form. Save your shoulders, and don't be overbowed!

Its a precision edge 1000c

images

looks like this (not actual one)

The tag on it says 30 draw 55-70#

65% let off? Whatever that means

Last edited:
Its a precision edge 1000c

images

looks like this (not actual one)

The tag on it says 30 draw 55-70#

65% let off? Whatever that means

I would have that bow checked out before you shoot it. Technology has come a long way since that bow was made. Check the strings, and limbs make sure they'er safe to shoot.

Your bow will let off 65% of what it's set at for weight, that's what you'll be holding at full draw.

Do not get retarded and try to draw the bow without an arrow nocked.

Back
Top Bottom