• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

some advice on 9mm hi point carbine

Have a 9mm pistol, and S&W AR22. Was looking to upgrade the rifle collection to have a bit more punch, distance and accuracy.

My thoughts were that I already have 9mm ammo, and I think it is less expensive than what feeds say a S&W AR15. Am I correct in that?

Centerfire is definitely more reliable than rimfire.

Assuming that 9mm will be more accurate than 22lr? That's what I have seen on ballistics due to shape consistency.

Not sure that distance goes up, I think at 1200 fps for the 9mm, that is half what 5.56 goes at, so while my S&W 22 is very good at 50 yrds, and probably pretty good at 100, I think that past 100, this falls off fast.

Do you think the 9mm from a carbine would do significantly better, could this go 300 yds accurately?

I know hi-point is not top notch, but getting a AR15 and now keeping another size of ammo is going to be probably a 1k investment. The high point is 1/3 that.

Also, any experience on those who have used the hi-point 995?

Assuming it is MA legal?

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

A good high power rifle is a must.
A pistol caliber carbine?
Only after you have the high power rifle...

As an owner of a Colt carbine in 9mm, 16"bbl - I can say that it isnt very helpful past 100 yards. Inside 100 yards, the damn thing is a sewing machine laser - out at 100 the groups start to open up, but the shots go more or less where you want them - hitting a torso sized target is pretty easy. After 100 yards, the rounds start to get pushed all over the place and the drop is significant. Though I have never fired a 9mm carbine at 300 yards, I would say its like tossing snow balls.

I've fired a few of the hi points, they are OK last resort weapons IMO. They are small, compact and easily transportable. They are adequate shooters. They are not near as good as my Colt in 9mm or my HK USC in 45ACP - but as you said, the aforementiond were both over a grand.

Last edited:
you may want to check out the group buy thread going on now for Hi-points. There are two, one closed, one still open. A fair amount of conversation around the various calibers and likes/dislikes.

you may want to check out the group buy thread going on now for Hi-points. There are two, one closed, one still open. A fair amount of conversation around the various calibers and likes/dislikes.

Of course, you'll need to go green first, but it is absolutely worth it.

Have a 9mm pistol, and S&W AR22. Was looking to upgrade the rifle collection to have a bit more punch, distance and accuracy.

My thoughts were that I already have 9mm ammo, and I think it is less expensive than what feeds say a S&W AR15. Am I correct in that?

Centerfire is definitely more reliable than rimfire.

Assuming that 9mm will be more accurate than 22lr? That's what I have seen on ballistics due to shape consistency.

Not sure that distance goes up, I think at 1200 fps for the 9mm, that is half what 5.56 goes at, so while my S&W 22 is very good at 50 yrds, and probably pretty good at 100, I think that past 100, this falls off fast.

Do you think the 9mm from a carbine would do significantly better, could this go 300 yds accurately?

I know hi-point is not top notch, but getting a AR15 and now keeping another size of ammo is going to be probably a 1k investment. The high point is 1/3 that.

Also, any experience on those who have used the hi-point 995?

Assuming it is MA legal?

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Speaking just in terms of $ per round, you can feed a decent rifle for less money than a 9mm carbine. I've got a 9mm pistol, and the cheapest ammo I have found is 20 cents a round (Federal or Tulammo at Walmart). I have a couple of Saigas (AKs) and bulk surplus ammo can be had for 18 cents a round, or commercial stuff (again, from Walmart) around 25 cents a round.

I've heard good things about the High Point carbines, they are fun and the customer service is great. I wouldn't buy one as my first 'real' rifle, but I'll probably get one someday.

My first centerfire rifle was a $100 Mosin Nagant, which you can also feed for less than 20 cents a round.

Get a Garand and your long range High power rifle need is filled. Then you can worry about your 100 yrd and in rifle. Personally, I would rather have a Winchester or Rock-ola 30 carbine than a 9mm rifle. I have the Camp 9 and the PC9 as well as a KelTec Sub 2000 Glock version, Accuracy wise, The Marlin is dead nuts on with 124 gr flat points and it takes S&W 59 series mags, got some 20 rounders to boot. Man this is one loaded topic we could get carpal tunnel just going on about.

Get a Garand and your long range High power rifle need is filled. Then you can worry about your 100 yrd and in rifle. Personally, I would rather have a Winchester or Rock-ola 30 carbine than a 9mm rifle. I have the Camp 9 and the PC9 as well as a KelTec Sub 2000 Glock version, Accuracy wise, The Marlin is dead nuts on with 124 gr flat points and it takes S&W 59 series mags, got some 20 rounders to boot. Man this is one loaded topic we could get carpal tunnel just going on about.

First thought was to be able to use 9mm ammo already have in a rifle. Saw the Hi point , low price, which is what prompted this thread. Have also seen the keltec. An not familiar with the Marlin.

Do want a long range rifle, am trying to figure out AR vs. 308. Also, looking for low weight, and while garand is great, too heavy IMO. What is your opinion on AR vs 308 on 300 yd. Accuracy, ease of use, etc.

I used the 30 rounders in the Marlin. Fun Fun.

Sold the marlin 2 weeks ago but still have the mags leftover.

My favorite combo is an AR with a dedicated 22 LR upper. My CMMG conversion groups about 1 in @ 100 yds; good enough for me.

I have the 995ts carbine - its a great little rifle for what it cost. As others have stated its only going to be accurate out to 100 yards or so.
I considered it more of the range toy then anything else.

Back
Top Bottom