Soldier's Remains returned home after 65 years

Welcome home hero.
I'm sorry that what you left behind when you fought on distant shores, is not as you left it.
You gave your last ounce for this country and us, who are not worthy of so solemn a sacrifice,
for we have let it fall into disrepair, confusion and weakness.
But, fear not comrade, there are many left to carry on the fight for you when our names are called.

Welcome home to Massachusetts Army SGT. Robert Dakin.
You died an American Fighting Soldier, and thus earned our eternal thanks.

I was standing in the WAAF studio when the procession came down the pike. (Working at the Greater Boston Food bank Fundraising Event)

A bunch of the guys at the construction site next door removed their hard hats and bowed their heads. Quite a sight to see.

The report shown here says that he was an only son. How could his brother say anything.

M60 I have spent my life dealing in facts. I know what I read. However I also cannot find my source now and at 0435 hrs am not going looking for it. Don't appreciate your in your face reply and your reliance on a single source. A better way to say it would have been would have been: the source I read said indicated that he was an only son. But getting in people's faces is how we do things here now isn't it? (Wasn't always) However a single source is better than no attributable source so the grunt wins over the intelligence officer. It may have been a nephew.

Don't think for a minute though that every POW was repatriated in 1953. The evidence is there and that's all i can say but you can take that to the bank and I'll stake my professional reputation on that one.

My apologies for not quoting a source and a big mea culpa for not having the inertia to find it. I really do hold myself personally to a higher standard than the average internet yayhoo because I did this stuff for a living and if some of you think this makes me sound pompous or something, well it is what it is.

Off to the gym !

mark056 is retirement making you a bit thin skinned? My reply wasn't meant to be as you call it, in your face. Since I'm reading this thread, it seemed appropriate to point out that the information being offered in this thread says that he doesn't have a brother. You seem more concerned with protecting your status as a former intelligence officer than anything else, with your grunt verses intelligence officer comment. With regard to your repatriation comment, I have no preconceived notions. I hope that your day improves.

Being a grunt, I did my workout with the blonde.

Last edited:
mark056 is retirement making you a bit thin skinned? My reply wasn't meant to be as you call it, in your face. Since I'm reading this thread, it seemed appropriate to point out that the information being offered in this thread says that he doesn't have a brother. You seem more concerned with protecting your status as a former intelligence officer than anything else, with your grunt verses intelligence officer comment. With regard to your repatriation comment, I have no preconceived notions. I hope that your day improves. Being a grunt, I did my workout with the blonde.

1. Yes for reasons that I cannot and will not elaborate here. Not as simple as you make it to be.
2. With regard to repatriation, be glad you were never captured in Vietnam. Not a tin foiler on that one but there is more to that story too. That issue has been muddied by hoaxers and con artists but there is enough evidence that some were left behind. Not all POWs liberated by the Red Army in German POW Camps after WW2 made it back either and wound up in the Gulag. Again, eyewitness reports released under FOIA by former camp inmates to reported seeing Americans in Soviet camps in the 1950's.
3. You were lucky, the blonde is bi, the brunette is not strictly a one team girl and if you even look at her wrong she will kill you as she is a 92nd degree black belt in some arcane martial art from Tibet whose name I cannot even pronounce. She can melt ice cubes simply by staring at them.
4. My apology was legit. The only thing I will leave this earth with is my integrity. Can't take my Python to heaven cuz it's probably a gun free zone, and won't need it in hell because they use pitchforks. I screwed up and the point is I do hold myself to a higher standard when it comes to stuff like that.

I don't have all of the information that you have on the subject of pow, mia, repatriation and unsuccessful repatriation, but I do believe that the wars that are the subjects here, have messed up the minds of some troops, that otherwise would have kept their heads on strait, if not for their experiences and mind bending pain. You are correct in that I'm one of the lucky ones. Back to back tours FMF WEST PAC, no capture and came home without a scratch, still living a normal life and here to talk about it. As the man said, gravy, every day of it gravy, for which I'm grateful.
Yup. Lucky with the blonde too. She's no dumbbell and she does enjoy the workouts. Lol.
Sorry to hear about the Python. My Colt's going with me. My brothers will insure that.
Slack up on yourself. You're retired. You're comfortable with your integrity.

Out for my walk in the Back Bay yesterday every bridge over the Mass Pike had a fire truck and crew rendering honors. It was an honor for me to stand next to one crew and honor the Solider as well.

This guy was lost in the same area as my brother. Maybe they knew each other. Long time ago.... You may search Dakin in the link in my sig. Last name only

Back
Top Bottom