• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

softest shooting full size 9mm

Having owned and shot Sigs, Glocks, and 1911's in 9 mm- for smaller hands and with factory loads I would recommend one of the full size CZ 75's. As others have mentioned - it takes compensating weight, low bore axis, and most importantly - grip fit. OOB, CZ's with rubber grips do this the best.

BD - tactical, DA /SA
SA - keep it simpler single action only
SP01 - a tad heavier but worth it

all these are sub 1K. Unless the gun will be shot a lot, I would stick to one of these based on criteria.

Tactical Sport and Czechmate are increasingly incredible (full size to TS to CM) but add a lot of weight. Both are roughly in the 46 oz (roughly 3 pounds) unloaded - lol. I love the CM because it is the fastest shooting, lowest recoil, and yet very well balanced. But CM is 2.5 times as expensive as TS, which is roughly twice as expensive as the full size BD, SA, or SP01.

M&P 9, HK P30L, Sig P320, Ruger SR9, CZ 75 - IMO probably the softest shooting 9mm's out there.

Agreed. My wife shoots the M&P 9 well with an apex trigger. She also did well with the SR9, which I think was a better fit for her hand, but we sold it. Rethinking things, the SR9 would have been the better option, given the cost and the good stock trigger for MA.

I too have small hands which made the 92fs a non starter. ABSOLUTELY look at the HK P30L. A bit pricey but adjustable backstrap and side panels made it the perfect fit for me. They also have a recoil reducing spring that really dampens felt recoil. Amazingly accurate too.

Last edited:
CZ 75 SP 01 Shadow. It has a relatively small grip for a high cap gun and a low bore axis to reduce muzzle flip. As it is all steel and weighs close to 40 oz its weight also helps dampen recoil. Good ergonomics and heavy weight are the best ways to tame recoil, short of a comp.
This is what I"m looking for...or any 75..just hard finding one

Perception of recoil depends on a lot of things.

For example. I own the following 9mm guns.

Dan Wesson 1911 in 9mm
Glock 35 with a 9mm conversion barrel and 9mm reciol spring
Glock 34

Of the 3, the Dan wesson feels like it reciols the most, despite the fact that it weighs 8 oz more then the G34. I can only attribute the variance to the low bore axis of the Glock and the flex in its frame.

The G35 feels like it recoils the least. Its effectively the same as a 34. Except the conversion barrel has a larger Outer diameter than the native 9mm barrel. The G35's slide also has a smaller cut out. This makes the G35 about 3 ounces heavier, all in the barrel and slide.

The 34 is nearly as good, you wouldn't notice it unless you shot them side by side.

I think in summary, any decent full sized gun is going to have some pretty tame recoil. There isn't that much difference between them. Sig 226, CZ75, 1911, Glock 34 or even the Ruger SR9.

They will all be great. More important than maybe a 5-10% difference in recoil is how the gun fits the shooter's hand. My suggestion is come up with a list of full sized guns and then try them all if possible.

Re small hands. People can adapt. My 5'1" wife used to shoot a gen 3 Glock 34 in local competitions. She did fine.

We've since both upgraded to Gen 4 guns. I run the beavertail medium insert. It gets the gun back to the size of a Gen 3 grip. She does prefer the Gen 4 gun with no insert. So the slightly shorter reach and circumference is preferred by her. But she still did fine iwth the Gen 3.

Don

Last edited:
+1 for a Beretta 92, the vertec might be best as the grip is a little smaller than the standard FS or A1. And the availability of cheap (relative to Glocks) prebans. Smooth shooters are typically heavier guns.

Steyr M9-A1. It has the lowest bore axis I've seen on any pistol, points extremely well, recoil is mild and muzzle flip is minimal. My hands are small enough that I can just barely reach the trigger on a stock double action CZ-75 in 9mm and the Steyr is perfectly comfortable for me.

Not sure if it s legal in Mass though

Steyr M9-A1. It has the lowest bore axis I've seen on any pistol, points extremely well, recoil is mild and muzzle flip is minimal. Not sure if it s legal in Mass though

It is legal here to own. Like most normal handguns. The AG/EOPS crap is a dealer issue not one gun owners need to concern themselves with.

any gun which is full size and has an all steel frame and slide. Sig P-226 stainless in 9mm is awesome in regards to lack of recoil and muzzle flip. YMMV

While not full sized my Sig P239 is very soft shooting to me. Couple of ladies who have come to the range have found it very easy to grip and were not intimidated by the recoil at all after only shooting a sr22 before the sig.. IMO i feel less recoil than a full size m&p with the sig.

If you get a conventional (is, bushing style) 1911, you can make it a little more muzzle heavy, and thus softer shooting, by adding and aftermarket tungsten guide rod.

The CZ Shadow is nice.."softest shooting" goes to the Sig P226 X5 IMHO- a real tack driver to boot!

The X5 is a great pistol and its weight certainly helps dampen recoil, but its rather dated design places the bore too high in the hand. The CZ Shadow weighs less than the SIG X5 but exhibits less muzzle flip. I own both.

By that measure, what did the French use?

The Browning Hi Power was the only pistol used in quantity by both sides in WWII being made for Commonwealth Forces by John Ingliss & Co in Canada and by German occupied FN in Belgium, a favorite pistol issued to the Waffen SS. It has been the official sidearm of over 50 different countries at one time or another and is still widely seen in service in many parts of the world. It is still issued in the British Army, although it is being replaced by the Sig P226.

The French used their own Model 1935 in WWII followed by the MAC 50. Today they use a version of the Beretta M92 GIAT BM92-G1. I am sure Frenchman can give you much more information than me.

The Browning Hi Power is extremely reliable. Mine has had over 7000 rounds fired through it without one FTF or malfunction of any kind. The only major criticism is that it is not as robust in terms of longevity as some other 9mm's but then European 9mm is loaded hotter than US 9mm. Probably best to avoid +P or +P+. It shoots, points and handles well, despite having what appears to be a wide grip. It and the S&W M39 remain my two favorite 9mms. Millions were made and for the rest of the world it is as ubiquitous as the 1911 is here in the US,

I'm a huge fan of the Sig P226.....soft, smooth, and easy to shoot. That being said, my wife prefers my M&P9 with the small backstrap much more. There's next to no felt recoil, very little muzzle flip, quick to target, and just a pleasure to shoot as well. It helps that it's a striker fired gun with an easy and crisp trigger pull. That was the biggest thing the wife didn't like about the P226, the dual action trigger (10-12lb Double Action pull and 4lb single action pull)

The Browning Hi Power was the only pistol used in quantity by both sides in WWII being made for Commonwealth Forces by John Ingliss & Co in Canada and by German occupied FN in Belgium, a favorite pistol issued to the Waffen SS. It has been the official sidearm of over 50 different countries at one time or another and is still widely seen in service in many parts of the world. It is still issued in the British Army, although it is being replaced by the Sig P226.

The French used their own Model 1935 in WWII followed by the MAC 50. Today they use a version of the Beretta M92 GIAT BM92-G1. I am sure Frenchman can give you much more information than me.

The Browning Hi Power is extremely reliable. Mine has had over 7000 rounds fired through it without one FTF or malfunction of any kind. The only major criticism is that it is not as robust in terms of longevity as some other 9mm's but then European 9mm is loaded hotter than US 9mm. Probably best to avoid +P or +P+. It shoots, points and handles well, despite having what appears to be a wide grip. It and the S&W M39 remain my two favorite 9mms. Millions were made and for the rest of the world it is as ubiquitous as the 1911 is here in the US,

*woosh*

Back
Top Bottom