Softer spring M&P 9mm.

Has anybody replaced/modded the recoil spring( I think thats what I want ) on a M&P 9mm. I'm looking to make the slide pull a bit easier for my wife. I know it will break in after a few 1000 rounds :) but I would like to make sure she's not put off on how hard it is at first.

Of course I don't want to affect the function and this isn't a carry guy just something that is her's and to encourage her.

Same problem here. Rented 1 at Bobs wife loved it (probably had 10000 rounds thru it) we purchase 1 for her, get it home and she cant eject a round. ( She can but it is not pretty) i put 300 rounds thru it and it got a little better. Left it in the safe for a few weeks with the slide locked back and that helped as well. Took it out tonight she still struggles a little but it is much better. While she can manage it now if you come up with a solution (other than the 2 i mentioned ) let me know

After the issue with the shield i tried to convince her she needs a revolver (just trying to get her on board to buy another gun "for the family") but she didnt go for it. Hey you cant blame me for trying LOL

Try having her rack the slide with the gun pointed out about two feet in front her feet while standing, with left arm fully extended out and hand holding the slide and rotating her right should down and left up. This should give better leverage than holding out and high.

I put a lighter recoil spring in my M&P 9L for competition. It is super easy to rack the slide now. I did it for faster cycle rate. I'm not sure if it actually does cycle faster, but in my mind, it does. [smile]

As for what spring rate I went with, I have no idea at this point. I think stock is 15# and I put a 12# in. I'm guessing though

I put a lighter recoil spring in my M&P 9L for competition. It is super easy to rack the slide now. I did it for faster cycle rate. I'm not sure if it actually does cycle faster, but in my mind, it does. [smile]

As for what spring rate I went with, I have no idea at this point. I think stock is 15# and I put a 12# in. I'm guessing though

that's what I'm looking for… Hmm.. Google Fu has led me to a couple of places where they sell the spring. All of them say I can take apart the factory one ( with a bit of trouble). I will keep digging see if I can find a spring with a capture rod all in one.

Thanks for the info ! and the reassurance.

Has anybody replaced/modded the recoil spring( I think thats what I want ) on a M&P 9mm. I'm looking to make the slide pull a bit easier for my wife. I know it will break in after a few 1000 rounds :) but I would like to make sure she's not put off on how hard it is at first.

Of course I don't want to affect the function and this isn't a carry guy just something that is her's and to encourage her.

Not a good idea. The recoil spring is part of a system and must work together with the striker spring. I tried a lighter spring in my M&P 9mm and got light hits/failures to fire. The lighter spring was not strong enough to overcome the resistance of the striker spring and the slide was not going completely into battery. Installing the stock spring cured the problem.

that's what I'm looking for… Hmm.. Google Fu has led me to a couple of places where they sell the spring. All of them say I can take apart the factory one ( with a bit of trouble). I will keep digging see if I can find a spring with a capture rod all in one.

Thanks for the info ! and the reassurance.

So I just read the factory spring weight is 16#. I'm quite positive I have a 13# spring in it from the link below

http://www.speedshooterspecialties.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=103_90_116

Also, I disassembled the factory guide rod which was kind of a pain. Used a soft jaws vise and unscrewed the retaining screw. Be careful as you obviously have to take the spring pressure off the retaining screw. Wear safety glasses. Then do the reverse with the lighter spring to reassemble. I've had 0 FTF and have approximately 10,000 rounds through my M&P.

If you don't want to deal with that, buy their non captured guide rod and just have a gun without a captured guide rod..

Good luck

Last edited:
Actually, a lighter recoil spring makes it cycle slower.
Like Gammon says, the M&P recoil spring and striker spring need to work together, changing one or both will introduce reliability problems

She shouldn't be trying to pull the slide if she doesn't have the hand strength for it. Have her watch this video. There are many like it on youtube. My wife couldn't rack the slide on her Full sized M&P or Shield, but now does so with no problem at all with the "push/pull" technique.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbayNc6D9HY

wolff makes guide rod and uncaptured springs. you can choose any spring strength you like. they work fantastic. i use them.

would caution against running a lighter recoil spring. there's a reason why they are set to a certain weight. in the case of an M&P9 it already has a relatively light spring. any lighter will result in increased slide -> frame impact. rounds will extract more aggressively. overall i wouldn't do it unless you're shooting weak hand loads.

i'm actually running a heavier spring in my M&P 9....it softens recoil a bit and allows me to shoot faster.

Train her to use the "pushing hands together" method, it creates a huge mechanical advantage to manipulate any slide, the trick is maintaining muzzle discipline at the same time.

Wife had the same issue with my .45 & M9, but instead of trying to pull the slide back, had her hold as usual and push the frame forward while holding the slide, she was surprised at how much easier it was.

Wife had the same issue with my .45 & M9, but instead of trying to pull the slide back, had her hold as usual and push the frame forward while holding the slide, she was surprised at how much easier it was.

This all the way! Pulling the slide pulls the spring. Pushing the frame pushes the spring. Push is easier than pull.

Back
Top Bottom