Social Security recipients not eligible for Corona Virus Stimulus payments?

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I heard this from a friend today, but can't find anything on the net so far to verify if it is true or not..

In my case, I could care less. I don't file taxes, so I didn't expect I would receiving anything
anyway. But a lot of the retired folks around me are asking me if I know anything about it.

I could care less, because now that I am on VA Healthcare I get free medications every month that
would cost me $700 a month if I had to pay them out of pocket.

It will be interesting to see who does get that money and who doesn't. I highly doubt that a lot of
section 8 and EBT recipients file taxes either.

I also think their will be a lot of cases of abuse, like fake tax returns, etc.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Will Social Security beneficiaries receive checks?
According to the Fortune Magazine, the proposed bill includes language that allows people who receive Social Security – many of whom are retired and do not file taxes – to receive money from the stimulus package.

In such cases, the government would access their data through the Social Security Administration to determine their rebate.

Retirees and people on disability are both eligible to receive money, according to the Washington Post.

TC McQuade

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
My understanding is that the payments are an advanced on a credit against 2020 taxes. So people who receive advance payments based on their 2018 or 2019 income (over $75.000.00/$150,000.00 in this case) but qualify for a bigger credit amount based on their income this year will receive the remainder of the credit amount to which they are entitled when they file their 2020 tax returns next year. This is based on how stimulus payments had been done in 2008/2009 during the banking and housing fiasco. So based on that you would still receive a payment and you might have to file a tax return next year if you don't get the full amount. I head somewhere that if you did not file a 2018 tax return you will only get $500.00 and then would have to file a return in 2021 for the remainder of what you should receive. BUT that is just a rumor and not from an accurate source.

WanMan99

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I don't need or want govt handouts and hope they go to seniors on SS or disabled etc that could really use the money. That said, it is going to be painful watching all of the distinguished Brocktonites buying large screen tv's with their Trump Bux....

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I'm still trying to figure out why ANYONE is getting this $. It was a dumb idea when G-Dub did it. It was equally as dumb under Obama. Third time's a charm????

If you want to push $ to people who NEED money, use the U/E system. Period. If I'm not out of work nor have I been out of work, why do I get $??????

Every dollar you get we're going to have to pay back some day. Stupid stupid stupid.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I'm retired, but not yet on SS. I'd rather my check (if I ever got one) go to those who really need it... families, Veterans and Seniors.
If Seniors already need it, why are you waiting for this tragedy to get them money?????

We need to separate our "feelings" for select groups of people (be they welfare mommas or veterans or out-of-work-assless-chap-salesmen) and this whole "stimulus." It's a bad excuse to spend money because people feel bad. If I feel bad, why haven't I come out-of-my-own pocket for it.

Know what they call people who want YOU to pay for someone else's dilemma? A Progressive.

(Not picking on you specifically, Blocky. I get these feelings. But feelings can't drive policy.)

Now, won't you help me, an out-of-work-assless-chap-salesman??? I can send pix if need be. ;)

chrbla2000

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I don't need or want govt handouts and hope they go to seniors on SS or disabled etc that could really use the money. That said, it is going to be painful watching all of the distinguished Brocktonites buying large screen tv's with their Trump Bux....
Taxation is theft, "giving" us back our paid in tax money isn't a gov't handout. In fact, I think the more you make the more you should get back since you paid more into the system.

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Taxation is theft, "giving" us back our paid in tax money isn't a gov't handout. In fact, I think the more you make the more you should get back since you paid more into the system.
it's not just re-destributuion, i.e. taking from taxes and giving it to select few, the amount taken wastly outstrips what will be actually returned to people. We are talking 40k from everyone, 1k to some, billions to select few.

I'm still trying to figure out why ANYONE is getting this $. It was a dumb idea when G-Dub did it. It was equally as dumb under Obama. Third time's a charm????

If you want to push $ to people who NEED money, use the U/E system. Period. If I'm not out of work nor have I been out of work, why do I get $??????

Every dollar you get we're going to have to pay back some day. Stupid stupid stupid.
it's bound to happen many more times because this kind of shit will not detract majority of people from voting for Trump given the "alternatives" so he's got cart blanche. Frankly few more trillions would not change a thing. The horrific thing is that people who will be receiving the 1k bone will give no shit about the magnitude of theft, and those who really pay for it will not be able to do anything about it. We are stuck.

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I think this "stimulus bill" is really just a way for the pols to get their "rocks off."

Many times my husband has been laid off and he received unemployment and we had very hard times.

He is currently able to work from home and I have not worked in over a year. We don't need/want a "stimulus" check. If he were to be laid off would we appreciate higher UI payments? Yes of course since he maxes out and can only collect less than 1/4 of his actual take home pay. But handing out money to EVERY PERSON, working or not, retired or not, makes NO SENSE other than an attempt to BUY VOTES.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Is it true that within this package going to the house these MFers gave themselves a raise?

As for the checks I don’t need it and the same goes for my wife. The payback is going to be a real bitch so I too will use it to pay my property taxes in Maine that will be due in September.

Mark from MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Is it true that within this package going to the house these MFers gave themselves a raise?

As for the checks I don’t need it and the same goes for my wife. The payback is going to be a real bitch so I too will use it to pay my property taxes in Maine that will be due in September.
There is TONS of bullshit in this bill. I cant even describe that has zero to do with the virus and everything to do with the Dem Agenda. Just wait till all this shit comes out.

Vaporcash is right on. They act like giving a million is equivalent to a dollar.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
There is TONS of bullshit in this bill. I cant even describe that has zero to do with the virus and everything to do with the Dem Agenda. Just wait till all this shit comes out.

Vaporcash is right on. They act like giving a million is equivalent to a dollar.
Oh I fully agree on the bullshit but tossing themselves a raise is lower than low.

Mark from MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Social Security Recipients ARE getting checks. I dont really agree with that. You all get checks anyway, nothing changed or is changing in your monitary world unless you were employed. In that case you can probably file unemployment.

Kids in College age 18-23 Aren’t getting checks if theyve been claimed on their parents taxes.

And the Parents arent getting 500 for the kids either because they are over 17.

Yeah.....parents with kids in college arent hurting. f***ers.

And dont tell me we got exemptions for claiming them as dependent because that was before this Corona Bullshit.

Mark from MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I will be getting nothing from this bill, except the bill from it.
Same here.

We are taking a 20 percent hit on income temporarily and wont be Eligible for shit as usual.

But since we are responsible, live frugally well below our income level and have an emergency fund.
It really doesnt matter.

Ive had people tell me im “Lucky”
to have an emergency fund. The same people telling me that are driving 40k dollar vehicles, living in McMansions, and buying high dollar shit.
Lucky...yeah ok. If im Lucky those people are just stupid.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
If they use TY 2018 as a basis I am OK, if they use TY2019 (we have not filed yet) I am FUBAR'd as we were well over the phase amount out for couples

All it is going to do for me if I get it is let me hand it right back to them as I have about a $5300 Federal tax liability for TY 2019... so it is $1900 of mine and $2400 of my money they are giving back to me so I can give it back to them....

JayMcB

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Kinda messed up that they have a cut off. Even if it's just $50, I want something so I don't feel completely annoyed.
I have a mortgage, rent and utilities on 2 closed offices, health insurance COBRA costs, property and income taxes due, my kids' student loans - for schooling she didn't get, car payments....and zero income from my wife and dramatically diminished for me.

Tell me again how a married couple in MA with a house and a kid in college is 'rich' and doesn't need help at 150k? :rolleyes:

Top Bottom