• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Social Media Silencing: ‘The Well Armed Woman’ Removed From Instagram

Not trolling.

I agree with you.

Furthermore I think Google/ Facebook/YouTube will be shells of their former selves someday without govt. intervention.

If you agree with the above, how do you see it happening.
I already see it with FB. My kids generation is moving away from it onto other platforms. Our problem is we want instant solutions and market forces don’t work that way

I'm not looking for more laws. I believe the resolution is in the courts to smack this shit down.

The courts are govt. and I would like to see The People topple the giants.

I believe it’s possible but I don’t know the details on how it happens.

I do know that most people I talk to are aware of what’s going on.

I have a problem with it.

One time, years ago, my son explained to me how monopolies fail in the long run. It was a libertarian thing and for the life of me I can’t remember the details or if it truly made sense.

Short version of the "libertarian thing": there can be no monopoly without force. Market domination isn't force, and it isn't a monopoly as long as people are free to use or not use the product, or to choose a competitor (no matter how minor).

Force comes from government. Any Big Corp that has a monopoly has Big Gov pointing the gun on their behalf and saying, "This is your ONLY choice."

Remember Ma Bell, and phones hard-wired to the wall? Even today municipal franchises are the reason that most of us only have one option for cable, internet, and landline phone service. Competition is literally outlawed, which is the very definition of a monopoly.

Slightly longer version: the reason why there is no monopoly in a free market, is that the threat of competition is enough of a market force that even the strongly dominant player must respond to that threat or lose dominance.

We have to play the long game. The left won't be satisfied with silencing gun sites and conservative voices, they'll want to silence everyone who isn't an extreme leftist. They will consume themselves in an orgy of self righteousness, so let them do it. Government is the true enemy here, going to them for help is like asking the wolves how to fix the fence around the chickens.

We have to play the long game. The left won't be satisfied with silencing gun sites and conservative voices, they'll want to silence everyone who isn't an extreme leftist. They will consume themselves in an orgy of self righteousness, so let them do it. Government is the true enemy here, going to them for help is like asking the wolves how to fix the fence around the chickens.

Absolutely this^^^

Short version of the "libertarian thing": there can be no monopoly without force. Market domination isn't force, and it isn't a monopoly as long as people are free to use or not use the product, or to choose a competitor (no matter how minor).

Force comes from government. Any Big Corp that has a monopoly has Big Gov pointing the gun on their behalf and saying, "This is your ONLY choice."

Remember Ma Bell, and phones hard-wired to the wall? Even today municipal franchises are the reason that most of us only have one option for cable, internet, and landline phone service. Competition is literally outlawed, which is the very definition of a monopoly.

Slightly longer version: the reason why there is no monopoly in a free market, is that the threat of competition is enough of a market force that even the strongly dominant player must respond to that threat or lose dominance.

Well said. I'd add that oppressive government regulation and politically motivated tax policies favor the biggest corporations, which leads to defacto monopolies.

This is the real issue. I don't think people really understand the long-term consequences of these private companies deciding who is allowed to be heard. People bleat 'well just go somewhere else, or make your own platform'. Sure... that would work great if the search algorithms weren't f***ed. The reality is that the media, and giant companies are all interested in their own version of the world, where individuals are second to the greater good of their vision.

Of course the problem is functionally no different than the previous problem, mainstream media outlets = limited number of idea dispensers etc. I don’t see how government intervention can curb the bullshit. Even if you chunked these companies up you’d still have conhugecos. And most of them would still be run by leftists. YT and google being run by 12 sets of different commies isn’t going to stop collusion/censorship. Given that reality your only other choice would be more onerous regulation.... or at least in the instance of google an argument could be waged that salting the results is a form of consumer fraud or something- consumer thinks/assumes an engine returns results based on popularity and not just biases of the company making the engine....

-Mike

So the solution is to stick head in sand?

Tell me how the market would correct this. Boycott? THEY DON'T WANT US ANYWAYS

There are millions of users (and a ton of content producers) on YouTube that are getting the shaft... there’s a market there but people are too lazy to switch.... it’s not just “gun” people either. Why do so many good channels use Patreon now? Because YT shafts them in revenues.... there’s obviously a well of discontent...

Back
Top Bottom