So.. What do you think it means?

Chris

NES Member
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
SOURCE

Sanity-in-the-US.gif

The author of the blog is presenting this as a measure of sanity.

If you trace the source to the dating site that compiled the data, it does make more sense as to the demographic that is indicated.

Looking at another graph on the host site I found this:

Economic-Social-Progression.png

Political-Evolution-BW-Labels.png

Two-Party-Implication2.png

And here is the plot with the points marked with their ACTUAL voting tendency.
End-Of-The-Day.png

FYI, the source you linked is not the origin.

http_//blog.okcupid.com/index.php/2009/07/13/sweet-ass-american-trends/

http_//blog.okcupid.com/index.php/2010/03/30/the-democrats-are-doomed-or-how-a-big-tent-can-be-too-big/

Last edited:
When you finally grow up, get a job, pay taxes, have a wife and have your first kid, you "all of a sudden" become a conservative because you realized the gubment is bending you over a barrel and having it's way with your posterior that you don't particularly like. So by 30 you're starting to realize that the F'n gubment is way to big, spending way to much of YOUR money and not even calling you the next day.

When you finally grow up, get a job, pay taxes, have a wife and have your first kid, you "all of a sudden" become a conservative because you realized the gubment is bending you over a barrel and having it's way with your posterior that you don't particularly like. So by 30 you're starting to realize that the F'n gubment is way to big, spending way to much of YOUR money and not even calling you the next day.

IIRC, Winston Churchill said [more or less],"If you are young and not a liberal you have no heart; if you are older and not a conservative you have no head."

Being of long-time libertarian leanings, I guess I'm ageless! [laugh]

Voting is meaningless unless you can ensure by force that the election isn't rigged....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Athens_%281946%29

The primary election was held on August 1. To intimidate voters, Mansfield brought in some 200 armed "deputies." GI poll-watchers were beaten almost at once. At about 3 p.m., Tom Gillespie, an African- American voter was told by a sheriff's deputy that he could not vote. Despite being beaten, Gillespie persisted. The enraged deputy shot him. The gunshot drew a crowd. Rumors spread that Gillespie had been shot in the back; he later recovered (C. Stephen Byrum, The Battle of Athens, Paidia Productions, Chattanooga, TN, 1987; pp. 155-57).

Other deputies detained ex-GI poll-watchers in a polling place, as that made the ballot counting "public." A crowd gathered. Sheriff Mansfield told his deputies to disperse the crowd. When the two ex-GIs smashed a big window and escaped, the crowd surged forward. The deputies, with guns drawn, formed a tight half-circle around the front of the polling place. One deputy, "his gun raised high...shouted: 'If you sons of bitches cross this street I'll kill you!'" (Byrum, p.165).

Mansfield took the ballot boxes to the jail for counting. The deputies seemed to fear immediate attack by the "people who had just liberated Europe and the South Pacific from two of the most powerful war machines in human history" (Byrum, pp. 168-69).

Short of firearms and ammunition, the GIs scoured the county to find them. By borrowing keys to the National Guard and State Guard armories, they got three M-1 rifles, five .45 semi-automatic pistols and 24 British Enfield rifles. The armories were nearly empty after the war's end. By 8 p.m. a group of GIs and "local boys" headed for the jail but left the back door unguarded to give the jail's defenders an easy way out.

Three GIs alerting passersby to danger were fired on from the jail. Two GIs were wounded. Other GIs returned fire.

Firing subsided after 30 minutes; ammunition ran low and night had fallen. Thick brick walls shielded those inside the jail. Absent radios, the GIs' rifle fire was uncoordinated. "From the hillside fire rose and fell in disorganized cascades. More than anything else, people were simply shooting at the jail" (Byrum, p.189).

Several who ventured into the street in front of the jail were wounded. One man inside the jail was badly hurt; he recovered. Most sheriff's deputies wanted to hunker down and await rescue. Governor McCord mobilized the State Guard, perhaps to scare the GIs into withdrawing. The State Guard never went to Athens. McCord may have feared that Guard units filled with ex-GIs might not fire on other ex-GIs.

At about 2 a.m. on August 2, the GIs forced the issue. Men from Meigs County threw dynamite sticks and damaged the jail's porch. The panicked deputies surrendered. GIs quickly secured the building. Paul Cantrell faded into the night, having almost been shot by a GI who knew him, but whose .45 pistol had jammed. Mansfield's deputies were kept overnight in jail for their own safety. Calm soon returned. The GIs posted guards. The rifles borrowed from the armory were cleaned and returned before sunup.

As long as I have my guns, I have the right to vote.

Bullets are ballots.

Voting is meaningless unless you can ensure by force that the election isn't rigged....

Great link, I'd never heard of that before. It's quite similar to the stunts that Capone used to pull to get his people elected...can you imagine if you went down to vote and a gang of drug dealers wouldn't let you in, or if they carted off the ballot boxes in front of you?

Wait, you live in Fitchburg, you probably can imagine that. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom