So what do you shoot in your AR-15?

I shoot the cheapest brass cased ammo I can find, got a nice deal on some Privi @ Blue Northern, he typically has something in the $10 range in brass in stock.

Privi 5.56, Federal XM193, Winchester Q3131, Speer Lawman, Hornady T.A.P

That's basically a verbatim for me, too, although I have some Fed GMM I have on hand, too.

Hopefully next year it'll be "all that plus my own reloads".

-Mike

Pretty much anything ...........

While I prefer brass cased (don't we all) I've shot 1000's of rounds of Wolf steel case without any issues at all.

The only thing I would shy away from would be reloads from an unknown or untrusted source.

Unfortunately, I do not reload my own.

I am not even going to stock up on ammo. I am going to buy what I need when I need it and just save for a re-loading kit. I figure if I re-load I can save when prices are high and I can save when prices are low. The way ammo is priced now it's like buying 2,000 rounds anyhow.

I have only ever shot PMC Bronze.

Last edited:
Curious to see what ammo is popular (with the prices being what they are) for your AR-15.

Or do you just purchase whatever is cheap and available?

I still have quite a bit of Wolf 223 (the old stuff), bought at Four Seasons when he had case-lot sales for what today would be considered insanely cheap prices. If I ever run out of that stuff, I'll buy the cheapest stuff available or reloads from "Q".

I also shoot .22LR in a dedicated BM AR that was designed as a .22LR gun.

another non-reloader here:

Remington 55gr
Black Hills 55gr
Federal XM193 55gr
Ultramax Reloads
PMC 55gr

*seems to be all I can find...

Lake City 5.56 brass and Winchester 55-gr. FMJ reloads.

Buy a couple or three 1000-rd cases of xm193 and do some range scrounging and you won't need to acquire new brass commercially for a long time.

I've been shooting a lot of the Federal .223 55gr. FMJ Value Packs lately and sitting on the Prvi M193 I got last year at the Marlboro show. Interspersing some Wolf .223 Military Classic 55gr. FMJ when I don't feel like picking up my brass. [smile]

Wolf, Silver Bear, Ultramax reloads, and the occasional box of remington UMC. Coming up on 3,000 rounds through it with the only failure being one steel Silver Bear casing that had its rim ripped off by the extractor.

Back
Top Bottom