• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

So what do I need to get started?

Hey all,

I would love to jump full bore into the HAM hobby, but for the time being I want to do what I can to be able to legally use a UV-5R, mainly for offroad vehicle communications.

What I want to know is, what kind of test do I need to sign up for/take, what kind of money am I looking at to study and sit for an exam, and finally what kind of time commitment will I need for studying? I do have some basic understanding of the physics of radio communications. I also am familiar with radio etiquette from my time in the military. CB radios blow and HAM radios are getting more popular in the off-roading community, I just want to do what I can to be able to invest in HAM stuff rather than CB stuff for my jeep.

I can easily predict this escalating as a hobby, but for the time being these are my goals.

Thanks all

Mike

How long is the license good for? ETA, just read 10 years.

Question: I have an offroad trip planned for prior to the test date. Will UV-5Rs run FRS channels that don't require a license? I figured I could get some emergency channels loaded in prior to obtaining a license (strictly for use in an emergency), and just use the FRS channels for vehicle comms, ratger than buying seperate FRS radios or CBs just for this trip.

Mike

Last edited:
How long is the license good for? ETA, just read 10 years.

Question: I have an offroad trip planned for prior to the test date. Will UV-5Rs run FRS channels that don't require a license? I figured I could get some emergency channels loaded in prior to obtaining a license (strictly for use in an emergency), and just use the FRS channels for vehicle comms, ratger than buying seperate FRS radios or CBs just for this trip.

Mike

Yes, 10 years for the license.

Problem with running the Baofengs on FRS is that they transmit too much power even on the lowest settings for FRS. FRS is limited to 500 mW. I think the minimum on the UV-5R is around 1 Watt.

And, there may be some legality "issues" with operating these on the FCC Part 95 regulated bands (CB, FRS, MURS, GMRS).

Those are the caveats. Now, would you realistically cause a problem by using these for FRS. I don't think so. Is it likely that anyone would take notice? Probably not.

Finally, with the understanding you'd like to economize, keep in mind if you plan on getting an amateur radio license this would be sort-of going in the wrong direction. Would be better to operate with a license on 2m or 70cm with these but, as you know, everyone in your party with a radio would need to have a license as well. [thinking]

Last edited:
You would need to study and pass the amateur Radio technician exam . This is not that difficult a test to pass, however it will take a little study and perseverance.
If you have a good memory and at least 30 minuets a day to devote to study you will be able to prepare yourself to pass the exam in 30 days. You can do this prep and study for free by using the www.qrz.com "Practice Amateur Radio Exam" you will have to become a QRZ member the good news is that it is free and you do not have to be a licensed ham to join. Go to www.qrz.com and follow the instructions to become a member, once you are a member go to the Resource tab and open the 2014 Technician Exam Practice Test. Start taking the tests do this for at least 30 minuets a day for the next 30 days or until you are scoring a consistent 80% on the tests, the system will track and score your practice tests, don't get discouraged you will find that over time you will start to improve just keep at it every day don't brake the routine. Once you are consistently scoring 80% you are ready to take the test. How far away from Holyoke MA do you live? The local club holds a testing session the last Fri. monthly it is open to anyone and the cost of the test is $15.00. Next test session is:
Holyoke MA 01040-2223

EXAM SESSION
10/28/2016 Sponsor: Western Mass VE Team (WMVET)
Date: Oct 28 2016
Time: 6:00 PM (Walk-ins allowed)
(413) 575-2950
Email: [email protected]
VEC: ARRL/VEC
575 Beech Street
Holyoke MA 01040-2223
If you can't make that one there will be another on on the last Fri. in November.
If you follow this plan you will have your license in no time at all.

Last edited:
I will be going for my tech this sat. Been reading and studying a bit for about a month. It's not too bad. There are some great books and great practice exams.
My dad studied hard and aced his general not too long ago. I hear not many get a 100% on that test.

:-( I have a feeling gun budget will suffer

The UV-5Rs are not legal on the non-licensed bands (FRS, GMRS...) not just because of power but the FRS, MURS and GMRS radios aren't allowed to have a detachable antenna. This prevents people from setting up a tower antenna and covering large areas when the intent of those bands is for very local coverage. That said, I'm pretty sure no one in the history of the world has been cited for using a VU-5R on the non-licensed bands. And if you're going to be out in the woods where the extra power won't interfere with other people's communications....no harm, no foul IMHO. It would be different if you were at Disney Land.

As a practical matter, how do they track down people who operate without a license sporadically from a mobile platform? Does the FCC actually have dudes who drive around searching for broadcasts? Literally everyone and there mother has those GMRS radios that "require a license."

Mike

The FCC has no resources for this kind of little thing. It's hard enough to get them to track down and bust people deliberately doing illegal transmissions with 100s of watts on the HF bands where their junk skips around the world. The ham radio community does some self-policing. There are times when hams will band together and track down a bad guy and help the FCC bust him, but he has to be a pretty big problem.

Now, I'm not saying breaking the FCC rules is OK here. I'm just giving context. Illegal use of UV-5Rs on the non-licensed bands is an immeasurably small problem - literally. The difference between 0.5W and 5W is less than 2 S-units receive signal strength. It's VHF line of sight so it can't go far enough to be a problem. I can't envision any way, except in a crowd where everyone is using them, that a UV-5R could create a problem. However, though you may be heard better by your buddy with a 0.5W Kmart radio, but what's the point if you can't hear him?

Last edited:
By other ham's dropping a dime on them. The FCC has almost no money for enforcement and relies on self policing. Unless you are a total idiot and are interfering with police or fire or military or have numerous complaints or are running some high watt pirate station the FCC wont even know you exist.

Also, I presume you can use emergency channels in an emergency if you are unlicensed. As of now it seems our group (also on NES) will be taking the test in November, we are planning an offroad trip for mid October. If we are unlicensed at the time of our trip, we still would like some redundant form of emergency communication equipment.

Also, is there a comprehensive freq list of emergency stations/repeaters, this will be in central and possibly northern NH.

Mike

Also, is there a comprehensive freq list of emergency stations/repeaters, this will be in central and possibly northern NH.

Mike

http://www.nerepeaters.com/2m.htm

http://www.nerepeaters.com/440.htm

You could also listen on 146.520 and 446.0, those are the 2M and 70cm national calling freqs, but you would do better listening to your local repeater. You can google the freqs in use by police and fire in the towns you are going to be in, you may be able to listen to them as well.

Something else to consider is a magnet mount roof top antenna, you can just close the door on the cable. That will really help expanding your capabilities with the UV5's.

Last edited:
http://www.nerepeaters.com/2m.htm

http://www.nerepeaters.com/440.htm

You could also listen on 146.520 and 446.0, those are the 2M and 70cm national calling freqs, but you would do better listening to your local repeater. You can google the freqs in use by police and fire in the towns you are going to be in, you may be able to listen to them as well.

Something else to consider is a magnet mount roof top antenna, you can just close the door on the cable. That will really help expanding your capabilities with the UV5's.

Roof isn't magnetic. I'll do a proper permanent antenna after I'm licensed.

Mike

I unfortunately cannot make those class dates work. Is this something I can study for on my own and sign up for a test on? IE this: http://www.arrl.org/exam_sessions/framingham-ma-01701-9999-36

Mike

HamTestOnline:

http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com

I used it to pass all three exams in June. If you are not already familiar with electronics, especially AC circuits, use it in conjunction with the ARRL study guide for maximum learning. The first exam, Technician, is pretty easy. That will get you UHF/VHF, which is what you will probably use for your off-road vehicles, and some HF.

Yes, 10 years for the license.

Problem with running the Baofengs on FRS is that they transmit too much power even on the lowest settings for FRS. FRS is limited to 500 mW. I think the minimum on the UV-5R is around 1 Watt.

And, there may be some legality "issues" with operating these on the FCC Part 95 regulated bands (CB, FRS, MURS, GMRS).

Those are the caveats. Now, would you realistically cause a problem by using these for FRS. I don't think so. Is it likely that anyone would take notice? Probably not.

Finally, with the understanding you'd like to economize, keep in mind if you plan on getting an amateur radio license this would be sort-of going in the wrong direction. Would be better to operate with a license on 2m or 70cm with these but, as you know, everyone in your party with a radio would need to have a license as well. [thinking]

You can get your GMRS license that would cover "family members". "Family members" is not defined in the FCC GMRS regs...so...black cousin Bob is still a member of the family. [grin]

And also realize that depending on the terrain for your trip, if there are hills and whatnot, the UV-5R wouldn't do any better than a Motorola GMRS/FRS radio. UHF/VHF is all line of site.

Theres a great audio book on audible "The fast track to your technician class ham radio licence" by Michael Burnette tothat i used in conjunction with the "ham test prep app". 2 weeks of taking the test and listening to the book and i passed the test

Back
Top Bottom