1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

So those of you who cut the cord and use Roku, Fire TV, etc - what's the point if you still need

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by sbi, Jul 18, 2018.

1. fshalor

fshalor NES Member

I think an Amazon prime membership, if you shop at least ten things to yourself which save you a few tens of dollars per thing but are better than the ahit your local stores decide to compromise on and a generic normal broad band connection will save anyone a few k per year at this point. Lots of sports are on prime now. For shizzle.

Lip likes this.

2. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad NES Member

We did this, seemed like a pretty good deal. Then it got better when my EBates plugin told me that I was getting an additional $10 back. So, a year of Hulu for 2 bucks. Not sure if the special is still good but if you don't alreay have the browser app you can check it out here and support the OTR Retirement Fund at the same time: Cash Back at Stores You

Lip likes this.
  3. chuckster

chuckster NES Member

I'm in Marlborough and I get the same message. I didn't try to get any further though.

4. Coyote33

Coyote33

Saturday was cartoons, outside, lunch, creature double feature, candlepins or other bowling, three stooges, wide world of sports, bruins, and (yech) tiny bubbles Lawrence Welk. Sunday was Davey and Goliath, church, Sunday dinner, outside, homework, Disney, and later on, 60 minutes.

The worst was high school Friday nights. Love Boat was SO horrible.

Orvanic and Lip like this.
  5. Lip

Lip Army Veteran NES Member

The great thing about roku is you can do creature features 24/7

6. mousegunfan

mousegunfan NES Member

I was able to sign up (Cape). I only kept it a month.

7. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

It has to do with someone not getting their money, or thinking they're not getting enough money.

Broadcast TV and sports leagues etc / ad revenue sharing is extension cord mess f***ery of epic proportions. Eventually when they start losing enough
    money because nobody wants inflexible soup to nuts TV anymore, they'll change the model and just open the door, but the money grubbing shithead factor in
    TV/broadcasting and even radio is still off the charts.

-Mike

8. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

You're paying like $1560 a year to watch TV. Process that for a moment. The cost of the services is just retarded, particularly given that like 90% of the
    programming is pure garbage. I only have cable right now because I need the internet service for my side business. As soon as the promo expires I'm probably going to strip off the TV access again and return the box.

Then again I have a different philosophy with television. I generally f***ing hate it. I only have it because it was part of the bundle, I got a 40" HDTV samsung set for free from a customer, and I use it to watch ball / puck sports on it once in awhile, thats about it. After the game is over the thing is off. After I was about 15? or so I stopped watching television on a regular basis. Most of the content sucks and it's a bigger waste of time than sleeping is.

IMHO TV is rape and if they want me to keep the shit in my house long term it needs to go alacarte. Nobody would ever spend anywhere near what they
    spend now on TV if they actually paid for it alacarte. People are "getting worked up" because some have figured out it's a huge ripoff.

I don't have a problem dumping $100-200 bucks for internet service. I know I can extract the value from that. (I download and upload like a TB of crap every month).

Television? more than 20-30 bucks a month? Not sure if serious.

Commentator: "Did you know some people pay over $100 a month just to watch TELEVISION?"

Risitas:

Paying big $$$$$$ for cable/sat TV service is the original subscription scam. The only thing dumber than it is cell phone insurance or those product replacement plans that electronics stores sell where 90% of the people who buy them never redeem them and it's all free money. Worse yet, much of
    the programming STILL HAS ADVERTISING. So outside of premium channels like HBO, Showtime, etc, you're basically paying some fat wealthy moonbat (more often than not) to pump ads into your home. That should infuriate you enough that you want to shoot your cable box, but because people are "conditioned" the anger tends not to happen....

I just think the value prop of cable/sat TV is just f***ing terrible. I can name like dozens of other things I'd rather spend my money
    on.

Think also much like the little rapey fees banks used to insert into mortgages and that sort of thing (and probably still do) and billions they make off
    that shit, for doing almost nothing.

Soon enough america will be putting a shovel to the face of these motherf***ers, as more people unplug, and the fat will finally be sucked out of their
    bloated "product".

-Mike

vicorjh and Prepper like this.
  9. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

Chained together with 999 of my associates at the
    When I got married, I spent a total of $14 per month for communications (New England Telephone). Now it's between $300 and $400 per month. When it hit $400, I cut the cord and got youtube, to bring it down below $350. (It doesn't help that there are five phones on my unlimited plan)

10. dlarge

dlarge NES Member

I pay $45/mo (I think) for Playstation VUE. Plays across three smart TVs, two phones, two iPads. No extra charges. I can login to my account using anyone's Fire Stick or Apple TV (or other smart TV device). Basically goes with me. Hard to beat IMHO.

Biggest drawback for me is 720p resolution.

11. buckfarack

buckfarack NES Member

Yeah, I know the cost and the alternatives, I'm ok w/ that. Yes, we have different philosophies on the subject, I'm sure we have others. If money was an issue I could cut it but don't feel the need to really. Now, if I could stop buying stupid shit on Amazon, that would be helpful...

12. slugworth

slugworth

Hulu is $.99 for 12 months. Sale ends today tho.

13. Coyote33

Coyote33

I had Netflix back when it was new, and they would send you a DVD in the mail. I had cable back then also. That was at the old house. Since 2003, I haven't paid a cent for TV. Last year, I finally switched from DSL to Charter Internet. I get the Patriots over the air (antenna in attic), or I don't get them. Half the time, I'm busy anyhow. The only thing I miss is the Bruins. Bring back Channel 38 WSBK and "The Nutty".

14. drumenigma

drumenigma NES Member

A streaming service that I recently joined to check out is Vrv. It's a combination streaming service of a bunch of services for $9.99 a month. A while ago I had checked out one of the services included and at the time didn't feel the price to content ratio was that good, but now with all the other included channels it's a pretty good deal.

Boomerang
    Cartoon Hangover
    Crunchyroll
    Curiositystream
    Geek and Sundry
    Hidive
    Mondo
    Nerdist
    Nicksplat
    Rooster Teeth
    Shudder
    Vrv Select

15. Sniper (+)

Sniper (+)

Also on reddit, shhhh =]

16. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

So you've been married, what? 30? 40 years? Not bad!

Lip likes this.
  17. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

Chained together with 999 of my associates at the

namedpipes likes this.
  18. sbi

sbi NES Member

Wow, putting it in context. Certainly an eye opener. About $1470 in my case (just for TV, not including high speed which I need for work and you need anyways if you want to cut the cord.

19. mousegunfan

mousegunfan NES Member

It's not the TV that's expensive, it the Comcast internet. Stand alone internet is $89 for Performance pro. For $3 more I get internet, digital economy TV ( everything I need, about 60 channels) with HBO. With fees it's $12 more. This is regular price and not a special contract price.

How can cutting the cord beat that when you also need internet.

I don't pay for any boxes, I use my own. That cuts down on a lot of fees.

20. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

When you got married, "communications" meant a landline telephone, and keeping quarters on you for payphones.

21. Danb3387

Danb3387

We are taking about getting rid of cable. I need to order an antenna for the living room to make sure we can get the ION channel just so she can watch Law and Order. It may be difficult because it’s on an interior wall but we will see. If that works we will cut cable, double the internet speed and get Hulu live. We should end up saving about $55 a month.

22. EMTDAD

EMTDAD

If you have Sprint cell service, a Hulu subscription is included.

23. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

I have never seen a deal like that offered. I pay 92 just for internet only. There is a slightly cheaper option which would be acceptable, but I like 250Mbps speed. If I wanted to add basic TV only, it would cost at least $35 more last time I priced it. Then I have to deal with extra stupid boxes and the bedroom TV only has one HDMI already occupied by the Roku.

24. mousegunfan

mousegunfan NES Member

December bills have all the price sheets. Download them or get one from a local office. You won't see it online or calling.

I use Tivo, so I get HD without the extra fee. Any cable card device will do this, like HD Home run.You may have to pay the extra $10. Just get the one free box, then use the Roku app for all other TV's. No box fees this way.

Attached Files:

• xf2.JPG
      xf2.JPG
      File size:
      105.4 KB
      Views:
  25. sbi

sbi NES Member

One of the positives living in MA, around BOS anyways, is RCN. Excellent product at unmatched price and great service. You can get a 1 gig high speed at $55 per month, 500 Mb at $45. Unfortunately they are not everywhere and Comcast is definitely taking advantage of that. RCN will be one major loss for me when I move down south in 2021.

26. mousegunfan

mousegunfan NES Member

If I could do that I would cut the cord and use an antenna. But I can't do either where I live.

27. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

You can use your own box? I did not know that. They used to let basic TV work by just plugging the cable into the TV and rely on its QAM tuner, so no annoying box and it was at 1080 resolution (I once had a moronic conversation with Comcast support that insisted none of this was true and I could not possibly be getting a high quality signal without the box). Then they went and broke it, requiring an expensive box and also reducing the resolution to that of a VCR. Idiots.

28. Coyote33

Coyote33

Yet, people pay for that expensive box to get better resolution. I'd say they are not idiots.

29. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Do not correct me as I meant what I said. I don't know what the current day boxes do, but at the time this switch happened 6 or so years ago, it is exactly as I described.

namedpipes likes this.
  30. Coyote33

Coyote33

I did a FIFY, because from the provider's point of view, it (the box) needed fixing. It now provides more income to them.