1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

So those of you who cut the cord and use Roku, Fire TV, etc - what's the point if you still need

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by sbi, Jul 18, 2018.

1. KDallas

KDallas NES Member

Cutting the cord may not be for you then :)

I cut the cord when my ex and I split 4 years ago and I moved into my own place. I don't really watch much TV – there are a few shows I make a point to watch and other than that, it's background while I'm doing other stuff around the house. I'll rent a newer movie once or twice a month.

I have a Hulu subscription for $7.99 per month. I've got an HD antenna that gets me local channels for news (and Patriots games!). Someone special in my life has been generous enough to add me as a "family member" on his YouTube TV subscription so I have some DVR capability for other shows and movies not available on Hulu. When I get a hankering to watch a newer movie, I rent from iTunes or Amazon. I do have Comcast for internet only since I need it for work anyway.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018

2. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

It's been great for me. We just have internet through Comcast.

The phone is free via an Obi 200 device and Google Voice. (And it is rather nice... when someone leaves a voice mail, it sends me an email with the transcript of what they said. It usually works and I rarely have to actually play any voice mails. Well, except when someone with a Filipino accent calls, then you end up with a hilarious translation.)

I have a Roku on each TV, and I only pay for Netflix (is it $14/month now?) That gets most of the TV shows I would want to watch. I don't do sports ball, so live streaming of sports is not an issue. We sometimes rent a movie on the Roku from Amazon Video (if it isn't free with Prime), for $3 to $5 each. Most movies are available for rent now. And youtube can be streamed through Roku. If something isn't on Netflix and not downloadable as a rental, if it is recent enough to have people keep the torrents active for them, then you can download them and play through the Plex server that you install on your PC... that streams to Roku and works great (with some minor glitches). Of course, doing that you better get a VPN to protect your IP address... I pay $5/month for a VPN that I turn on as needed.

A few months back, I tried a 1 month trial of Comcast's "new" streaming service that doesn't require paying for their regular TV service.... $18/month was it? It shows the broadcast channels plus some others. It worked okay I guess, but it was SO EFFING BORING! I had forgotten how incredibly boring it was to just be able to watch live channels and flip through them.... there was nothing I wanted to watch. The few things I would want to watch were already on Netflix (or Plex). So, I canceled that.

3. sbi

sbi NES Member

I have Kodi on said high-end streamer that I mentioned earlier.

4. slugworth

slugworth

YouTube TV isn’t available in MA. Yet......

5. slugworth

slugworth

Says it’s not available in MA.??

6. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Ummm. Isn't youtube on the internet, which is everywhere? Do they restrict by billing address or IP or something? Maybe there is a way to spoof that with a VPN.

slugworth likes this.
  7. mlaboss

mlaboss NES Member

I'm in MA and have YouTube TV, so not sure what's going on there.

slugworth likes this.
  8. DarthRevan

DarthRevan NES Member

images.jpg

I use it every day and I'm in Lynn so...

Varmint and slugworth like this.
  9. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I'm the opposite. I'm old-school. I like to watch things as they come. Gimme 15 episodes of XYZ dropped in one day and I might watch one or two. It's a slog to get through for some reason. Put them one-show-a-week and I'll DVR them and watch one a week at my own pace, racing through commercials (see below).

I just grew up with "It's 7pm on Sunday - DISNEY!!!" There is plenty I COULD watch on Netflix et, al, but I don't have the patience most times to sit through things. I'll sit through more dreck on TV than inter webs. ????

Stuff like that is just so odd. "Oh we don't wanna be here."

I'm sure it has to do with broadcast rights of local stations and such. Just like back-when sat-TV didn't include your local channels. Of course, in 2018, I watch LESS local stuff than more. So I really wouldn't' care.

10. mlaboss

mlaboss NES Member

If Youtube TV could just open up to everyone everywhere they would, but as you said they have to work out deals with all the local and regional networks so they can carry them. My Youtube TV subscription includes all the local Boston networks (channels 4, 5, 7, 25, etc), and the big one for me which is NESN.

11. slugworth

slugworth

Ok it seems local channels are not available in my area. That’s not what it says but I’m guessing that’s what they mean. lol

12. lazypengu1n

lazypengu1n NES Member

I host my own Plex Media server that streams to 3 of my Roku TVs at home, Xbox, iOS and Android and Web. I shared with friends and family. I have HDHomeRunner that pulls OTA and Plex does the guide and I am able to view watch 2 streams at anytime. Given OTA can be iffy where I am, I am trialing YoutubeTV to see as it allows 6 users and up to 3 simultaneous streams (perfect for the TVs). I supplement this with NetFlix with up to 4 simultaneous streams. YouTubeTV mostly for the Sports content. Total cost is about $55 a month for me.

YouTubeTV I have is the Boston area channels.

13. slugworth

slugworth

14. Daniel MacDonald

Daniel MacDonald

No need for KODI anymore, APK's like Terrarium, LiveLounge etc available that are easier to use and not constantly being shut down.

15. slugworth

slugworth

I just tried to sign up within the app. As soon as I put in my zip code it says not available in ma. yet. So I try to sign up from the website and when I sign in with my google account it says. “Sorry branded accounts are not allowed with you tube TV. Please sign in with your, and it shows my name .” I only,have one google account.

16. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

Couldn't believe it when I found the NES app on Roku. SO much easier to read Calsdad's posts on a 60" display!

Choctaw likes this.
  17. DarthRevan

DarthRevan NES Member

I was using it this morning. Dunno what to tell you.

slugworth likes this.
  18. slugworth

slugworth

So I made my YouTube/ google account unbranded and I was able to get a little farther on the site. But as soon as I type my zip code in it’s says unavailable in my area. So I’m guessing your good in your area if your using it.

19. SeanC77

SeanC77

Between Netflix, HULU, and the library system we're never without something we want to watch. Sports mean nothing at my house and the occasional UFC fight that interests me I can usually catch within the next day or two on YouTube. For our household it works fine. If you're really into live sports broadcasts, it might not be your best bet.

20. Spanz

Spanz

beets CNN anyday!

Choctaw likes this.
  21. K98

K98 NES Member

As a Comcast customer, I am thinking of trying to cut the monthly cost of $230. That includes internet service of 250mb, phone, "Premier Digital w/DVR", and 2 boxes. If I cut back to just internet and phone, the monthly bill would be $131. Is it really worth pursuing Amazon FireTV with Direct TV for local lineup? Seems to be likely more work than it's worth.

daddysuperfly likes this.
  22. mousegunfan

mousegunfan NES Member

It's because your in western MA. It has to do with contracts to show Broadcast TV. Try a Boston zip code.

slugworth likes this.
  23. buckfarack

buckfarack NES Member

Jesus, life’s too f***ing short to get this worked up. We have Verizon Fios with just about every imaginable station you’d ever need, including high speed internet access and a land line Madame insists we keep all for $231/mo. Another ten bucks and we have Netflix. Also have Amazon Prime which I watch more than just about anything else (has live NFL games now if anyone’s still watching that). From what I’m reading here, I could jump through a lot of hoops, buy a few gadgets, and save $50-$75/mo for a less content? I can stream whatever I want whenever I want wherever I am on my phone or tablet, can dvr whatever I want, her two daughters and my ex have our Fios/Netflix logins and can watch whatever they want, whenever they want wherever they want. I piss away more than I’d be saving on sushi lunches every month. Oh, and I use the land line as an outgoing fax line for my home office printer/scanner/fax. If I use that a few times a month it’s well worth it.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  24. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

I'm not sure what we pay for cable/internet but I think it's a couple hundred give or take.

If it came with a landline it's dead ended in the basement. (sometimes packages are cheaper even if you don't use the landline). Haven't had one of those in over a decade.

25. Lip

Lip Army Veteran NES Member

I have roku's on all my TVs no cable just internet. I am thinking Amazon fire so I can change channels via alexa.

26. BaldAssCat

BaldAssCat NES Member

I can't stand my Amazon fire. I have that in the living room and the ruko in the bedroom and I have a much easier time with the roku, but that just preference I guess. I think the new roku's have voice on the remote though.

I pay for a few subscriptions but will probably drop everything except Philo and Netflix. Amazon prime I was buying anyway and HBO came with my cell phone plan so I'm not counting those.

I'm saving about $130 a month this way and what's better is without the scrolling browser the kids read books instead of watching tv.

27. Lip

Lip Army Veteran NES Member

I have had roku's for years no issues, but it would be nice to link them to alexa.

28. Sniper (+)

Sniper (+)

roku's, amazon fires, youtube tv's, hulus, netflixes, kodi?
    What are you people doing? An internet connection and a few reddit bookmarks is ALL you need to cut the cord. Well unless you want to watch the local news, then you need an antenna.

At 1 pm Im going to fire up the living room computer, go to reddit and in 3 mouse clicks watch the patriots game.

DarthRevan likes this.
  29. DarthRevan

DarthRevan NES Member

I've done that path before but I prefer the better buffering on youtube for the bigger games.
    It worked great when Pastavision was still broadcasting B's games

30. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

I dropped Hulu way back when, when they started adding commercials before Netflix was even streaming.

But, they currently have a deal for new users at $0.99/mo for 12 months ($7.99 after that, cancel any time). I just signed up again.

The deal ends at midnight 11/26.

Lip likes this.