So there I was looking at rifles

Garys

NES Member
I was on the Samco site again today. Mostly looking at Schmidt Rubins. Note to self, call Samco tomorrow and see if they got the signed 03FFL. Anyway, I scrolled down and they have what is described as "Guardia Civil Spanish Mauser" Nice looking Mauser from the picture AND it's been converted to .308. The only problem is that the listing doens't specifically say it's C&R. Which might not mean anything as some of the clearly C&R rifles don't say it either. A Mauser in .308? Sounds pretty good to me. I know the Israelis converted some Mausers way back when, but I've never heard of a Spanish Mauser in .308. Sure, a Spanish Mauser makes sense, given the neutral towards the Germans position in WWII. .308 just makes it nicer.

Anyway, I think it's calling my name. It's saying "Garrrrry, Garrrrry, buy me and take me home". Well I guess buy me and have me shipped is more accurate.

Anyway, a phone call to Samco is on the to do list for tomorrow. A K31 and a Mauser. I think that's a nice way to start the collection. The M38 will follow, as will the SMLE.

Yeah, it's an addiction. I can see MilSurps Anonymous in my future. "Hello, my name is Gary and it's been two days since I bought my last MilSurp". <G>

On a slightly more serious note. I know the smart thing to do is have any Milsurp checked out by a decent Gun Smith before firing it. I plan to do that, but could use some suggestions as to where to take rifles for a check up.

Gary

there you were drooling!!

Gary that spanish mauser that you have to have is a real nice little rifle
i just sold one only because i had something else in mind to buy, and
needed cash!! sometimes i will sell somthing i realy like knowing that i will buy another one in the future because thay are avalable, and what i need
the cash for now wont!! Anyway i saw the guardia civil carrying those in
Spain when i was over there in the Air Force at that time thay were in
7mm Mauser but after thay joind N.A,T.O. thay rebarreld them to
7.62 NATO= .308 so thay are new bbls, its a good deal!
just thought you might like to hear from someone that has had one!

Take Care Sheriff Dudley

I hate to be the one to start the battle but 7.62 does not = .308.
Close, but the dimensions (really close) and pressures (NOT that close)
are different. Coupled with the fact that the spanish mauser is on a small
ring action, some caution should be exercised IMHO. Milsurp and
reasonable handloads should be no problem at all, but a hot hunting load
could be too much for any such action to handle. With that caveat, it looks
like a really fun little rifle.

(Don't shoot the messenger [cry] )

F

http://p077.ezboard.com/bparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums

Do some reading there on Spanish Mausers. Some ammo is dangerous in them, i'm just not sure which. surplusrifle.com also has info I believe that is helpful. Theres also a list there for milsurp rifle suppliers thats huge!
On a side note: if you're just starting out collecting milsurps, take this advice from a 3 year veteran..... Buy from sources you've read about for diferent rifles. Some folks like Allan's Armory have a great reputation for K31 rifles, and WGA is tops for Finn M39 Mosins. SOG has great deals and is one of the best places to deal with. Their Turk Mausers are some of the hottest collectables going today. last month I got one with matching bolt for under $70 and its in excelent condition.
Some rifles right now are definitely more collectible than others and once you want to expand your collection you'll be sorry you didn't grab the rare ones when you had the chance. I remember missing out on M95 long rifles a while back and Carcanos from SOG, now i'm kicking myself.
Heres a list of get em while you can rifles, these can be bought from SOG - US made Savage Enfield, Yugoslavian SKS 59 and 59/66, Turkish Mauser, Steyr M95 straight pull carbine. With the exception of the Savage Enfield, the rest are pretty cheap, about $150 and under.
Allans Armory usually gets nice K31s, Mosin Nagants bith M38s and 91/59s, and occasionally a rare Enfield.
And no one can go wrong ordering from WGA because all the Finn rifles they have are classed as antique receivers and only require a drivers license copy to buy, but you must have a firearms license here in Mass to own.
Don't forget, most of these places will now take a faxed copy of your C&R too.

Thanks to both of you for the information. I actually have done a little research since my original post. I'm going to pass on the Spanish Mauser for now. From what I've read Milsurp ammo should be fine in it, but it has significant recoil in any 7.62 load.

The list of get them before they're gone rifles has some interesting items on it. An SKS is definitely on the list, as is a M38 Mosin. So many MilSurps, so little money! <G>

I've sent C&R letters to Allan's and SOG, and I'll follow up next week to see if they got them.

Thanks for the link to the forum, I'm going to sign up.

I just placed my first order with Samco. I ordered a K31.

Gary

Garys said:
Thanks to both of you for the information. I actually have done a little research since my original post. I'm going to pass on the Spanish Mauser for now. From what I've read Milsurp ammo should be fine in it, but it has significant recoil in any 7.62 load.
Soft egg [wink]

Garys said:
I just placed my first order with Samco. I ordered a K31.

Gary
Wise decision :p

Garys said:
Speaking of which, any suggestions for cleaning kits/supplies for MilSurps in general?

Gary

Bore Snakes come in handy, especially if you just want a quick clean up like if you shot your rifle one day and forgot to clean it and the next thing you know you're at the range another day with a dirty bore. A quick pass with some cleaner and a Bore Snake and you're good to go.
Mixing up a batch of Ed's Red will come in handy for soaking cosmolene covered parts. Ed's Red consists of 1 quart ATF transmission fluid, 1 quart of kerosene, 1 quart of mineral spirits, and one quart of acetone. Its smells, is highly flamable, and its pretty rough on the skin so using chemical proof gloves are recomended but it helps loosen up cosmolene on milsurp parts like bolts. Break Free and an old toothbrush works well on cosmolene too, as does a hand held steamer like the GE model that Wal Mart sells. Steamers are good for getting stocks clean.
A cheap dental pick set is good for getting chunks of grease out of hard to reach places, you can also bend a few old cleaning brushes for getting gunk outa places too. Mosin Nagants especially are notorious for having a tough to clean chamber when removing cosmolene. If you don't get it all you can have the dreaded sticky bolt syndrome where you have to whack the bolt with the palm of yer hand to open it after a shot.
Formby's Lemon Oil works good on scrubbing up a stock and renewing some moisture to it after a cleaning. Some stocks like Mauser type rifles were originally finished using tung oil. Removing an old beat up and grimey finish with Purple Power and then re-applying with Formby's low gloss tung oil can make a rifle look brand new sometimes and it still stays original, just refinished.
Everything you need to know about dissasembly, including the tricky at first K31 bolt, can be found at Jamie's site www.surplusrifle.com
Oh and a little note on K31 bolts... I use Remington Dri Lube on mine after taking it apart. Spraying down the parts and rubbing it in leaves them dry like a bolt is suposed to be so it won't attract powder fouling and dirt. The Dri Lube leaves a slick teflon like finish and helps the cam action of the swiss straight pulls stay smooth.

Wow, that's a ton of good information. Thanks. I have some shopping to do, I guess. This is going to be a whole new adventure, one I'm going to like.

Any advice on headspacing or a gun smith that specializes in MilSurp?

I still have to register at ezboards C&R forum too.

Thanks.

gary

Please just be real sure that there is nothing collectible about the rifle before you clean or refinish it. Once you do it, it can't be undone. Lots of collectibles have been ruined by a simple cleaning of the stock.

surplusrifle.com has a section on checking headspace as well as links to places like Midway that sell head space gauges. Jon is right about some collectibles being ruined in value when the stock has been scrubbed and refinished. Most of the milsurps you'll be getting through mail order don't have much collectible value, but than again as long as you don't cut, or sand the stock, or alter any mechancial parts you're not defacing the rifle. Just keep it original and be sure its cleaned properly before shooting it.

JonJ said:
Please just be real sure that there is nothing collectible about the rifle before you clean or refinish it. Once you do it, it can't be undone. Lots of collectibles have been ruined by a simple cleaning of the stock.

I figured that my Yugo SKS was "so collectible" that I shouldn't disturb the 4# of C&R cosmoline that it came with! [twisted] [mrgreen]

[Just being a wiseguy!]

LenS said:
I figured that my Yugo SKS was "so collectible" that I shouldn't disturb the 4# of C&R cosmoline that it came with! [twisted] [mrgreen]

[Just being a wiseguy!]

LOL
I'd say Yugo cosmolene is definitely the hardest to get rid of and it figures that Yugo rifles have the most caked on and packed into tiny places grease out of all the milsurps i've seen.

Lot's of good advice, thanks. Then there's Len's! Okay, I'm just kidding about that. EVERYONE'S advice is very helpful.

I don't plan to collect collectable pieces. Yeah, like that makes sense. What I mean is I don't plan to collect the rare pieces. I want rifles that I can admire and shoot and won't be afraid to take out of the safe.

I've sent my C&R to Midway, so I'll call them next week and see if they have it.

Speaking of which Century has issued me a dealer number and I've set up the account. Unfortunately, that won't be activated until next week. I can hardly wait.

Gary

Garys said:
I don't plan to collect collectable pieces. Yeah, like that makes sense. What I mean is I don't plan to collect the rare pieces. I want rifles that I can admire and shoot and won't be afraid to take out of the safe. Gary

I said that same thing 3 years ago. Hardly no one ever plans to, it just happens in the world of milsurps. Its a strange world full of mystery, surprise, joy, and heartache. Ok, thats the Knob Creek bourbon talking. [lol]
Seriously though, if you start buying these old war horses, sooner or later you're going to wind up owning a really nice rifle with beautiful wood on the stock, mint 100% bluing, etc. Then you're gonna see a picture of someone's beater rifle of the same type online somewhere and realize you need one because it'll shoot and feel just as good as your mint one only you don't care if it gets accidently scratched up while taking it out of the over crowded safe. Next thing ya know its sitting in a silicone impregnated Sack Up rifle protector in the back of an 8 gun safe that you've managed to fit 11 into and it gets taken out on rare shooting trips, or for anual inspection and oiling.
Wait till ya run outa room and you're bolting cheap sheet metal gun safes together just for a place to keep your cheaper rifles legally. I've got a method where I rivet heavy duty steel hasps on and use bolt cutter proof padlocks to increase security and deter thieves. Then theres the mini flourescent lights you can wire up and screw into the ceilings of the safes so you can see in there and get that specific Mosin out. 8)

Garys said:
You need and intervention! :D I'm definitely going to start Milsurps Anonymous.

Gary

No, no! Just because I sometimes leave the safe door open so the smell of BLO soaked stocks and left over cosmolene fills the room with an aromatic aroma of milsurps, doesn't mean i'm addicted. [lol]
You'll be there some day... one night after watching an old war flick you'll find yourself field stripping a K98 while sitting on the bed at 12:30 in the morning with a rag soaked in Rem-oil. 8)

It must be genetic or something. At the Marlboro show I was handling a lot of MilSurps and I really LIKED the smell of cosmolene. I probably won't like it after I've spent hours getting it off of a M38!

Gary

Garys said:
It must be genetic or something. At the Marlboro show I was handling a lot of MilSurps and I really LIKED the smell of cosmolene. I probably won't like it after I've spent hours getting it off of a M38!

Gary

Gary,

If you want to break this quickly, buy a Yugo SKS and clean that up. Each one comes with a free accessory . . . 4# of cosmoline!! [roll]

Back
Top Bottom