• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

So the pistol I'm considering comes with a manual safety.

Which irks me. But... What if I just leave it off and pretend it isn't there? [wink]

I suppose it would really irk me if I did that for 6 months and then when I really needed it I found it was back in the safety on position. [crying]

It's why I don't carry guns with safeties. Some safety flips up and some flips down and you need a lot of practice to build the muscle memory. I do have 1911's but I don't carry them. I suppose if it's the only gun I carry, I can practice enough to get use to it.

It's why I don't carry guns with safeties. Some safety flips up and some flips down and you need a lot of practice to build the muscle memory. I do have 1911's but I don't carry them. I suppose if it's the only gun I carry, I can practice enough to get use to it.

Yeah, dude, I think you're right.

And I almost only carry a 1911 or 1911 style guns. Thumb safety off on draw is automatic. FAR prefer it to plastic DAK of which I own many.

I personally would rather have a 1911 as a carry gun cocked and locked then guns like a glock. I shoot with my strong hand thumb on the saftey so im bot worried about shutting it off.
I know the gun can't just randomly go off. But I know If I found my self at that time and place need to fire out of hate(self defense). I'd rather have to hit the thumb safty , then risk my hand slipping unholsetering putting a bullet in my butt and leg or thigh... But that just me.

Posted from my iPhone10g
Remington 1911r1
Walther p38 made early 45
Remington sportsman58 12g
Early type 99.

Which irks me. But... What if I just leave it off and pretend it isn't there? [wink]

I suppose it would really irk me if I did that for 6 months and then when I really needed it I found it was back in the safety on position. [crying]

You could just leave it off, or depending on the guns design you may be able to remove it altogether.

Personally, I don't carry guns with manual safeties for the same reason I wont carry with an empty chamber. Just one more step to remember in a self defense situation, and it very well may be the step that gets you killed.

Another alternative is an HK P7. Some like it, some don't. I'm in the 'do' camp. The squeeze-cocker mechanism feels very natural to me (the term still feels awkward no matter how many times I say it :)

I'd rather have to hit the thumb safty , then risk my hand slipping unholsetering putting a bullet in my butt and leg or thigh... But that just me.

Really? [rolleyes]

Safety is keeping your booger hook off of the bang switch. Just me personally, but for SD I won't carry a gun with a safety.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally would rather have a 1911 as a carry gun cocked and locked then guns like a glock. I shoot with my strong hand thumb on the saftey so im bot worried about shutting it off.
I know the gun can't just randomly go off. But I know If I found my self at that time and place need to fire out of hate(self defense). I'd rather have to hit the thumb safty , then risk my hand slipping unholsetering putting a bullet in my butt and leg or thigh... But that just me.

You sure about dat? [rofl]

Last edited by a moderator:
One ofmy carry pistols has a manual safety, I leave it off all the time, abut I also practice thumbing it off on the draw to make it a habit.i honestly never worry about it

One of the Kahr PM series. I know there are non-mass versions that pop up used. I can't really afford it right now, anyhow. Just browsing until I have some extra cash.

That whole safety-on-a-striker-fired-gun thing is getting a bit tired.......plus it looks uber-ghey on the PM9.

One of the Kahr PM series. I know there are non-mass versions that pop up used. I can't really afford it right now, anyhow. Just browsing until I have some extra cash.

Get the free state version. I have a PM9 and it is my favorite carry gun. I mostly use a pocket holster, but it is real easy to make the PM disappear. IMO - It the best way for concealed to mean just that. It's a bit pricey, but then again I live in a free state so I didn't get hit with the MA surcharge. I got it a couple years ago for $692 NIB.

I, personally, am thrilled with my 1911's safety, if only because I am still working on getting used to drawing. Allow me to elaborate:

The holster I have is a paddle holster for a sig 1911(mine is a colt), this holster locks on the trigger guard with a button right over the trigger well to release the gun. Issue with that is that pushing the button and drawing causes my finger to drop into the trigger well as the gun clears the holster. If I was not practicing with an unloaded gun, I would have probably shot myself in the damned leg by now.

Moral of the story: I would rather have to train clicking the safety off, than have to fight for my life with a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Also, I am going to get a different holster for when I conceal carry, this is not the holster I am looking for... move along.

ETA : To try and curtail the slew of "you're an idiot" and "keep your ****in finger off of the trigger" posts: No shit, really? I never thought to try that, thanks for the update that the gun goes boom when you hit the trigger[laugh]. Working on it, thanks.

Last edited:
I know to keep my finger off the trigger I'd just rather not take the chance like I said its just me....

I couldn't believe that video when the guy shot him self ....

Posted from my iPhone10g
Remington 1911r1
Walther p38 made early 45
Remington sportsman58 12g
Early type 99.

if you don't want a gun with a manual safety.... don't buy a gun with a safety....

what is it about the kahr that you like? to me, a safety is a deal breaker unless it's a 1911.

I had considered the Walter PPS when I got my PM9, but the Walter is bigger than the PM9 and a bit smaller than my M&Pc. You can pocket the PM9, I don't think you'd be able to pocket carry the PPS. Just my $0.02

it's not difficult at all if you have a 6rd mag. i did it successfully with a 7rd mag. it only snagged (slightly) wearing jeans. cargo shorts / pants were no problem. i.e. 5.11's, wranglers ect...

Ive never touched the safety on my sr9c, and its never mistakenly engaged either. Only reason I dont carry it anymore is I find it too big. Has anyone ever actually had it happen to them where the safety was engaged mistakenly?

Ive never touched the safety on my sr9c, and its never mistakenly engaged either. Only reason I dont carry it anymore is I find it too big. Has anyone ever actually had it happen to them where the safety was engaged mistakenly?

Nope. It's a pretty hard safety to switch. Maybe because it is an ambi safety. And what do you mean too big?? The only problem I have is that it is kind of heavy for me, because my pants sit maybe two inches under my belly button and my belt was old before. But I got a new belt and pulled up my pants a hair and it works fine. It is a subcompact and unless you want a pocket gun there isn't much out there for ya.

The beretta 92 has a safety that, if you don't disengage on your draw, is really cumbersome.

Nope. It's a pretty hard safety to switch. Maybe because it is an ambi safety. And what do you mean too big?? The only problem I have is that it is kind of heavy for me, because my pants sit maybe two inches under my belly button and my belt was old before. But I got a new belt and pulled up my pants a hair and it works fine. It is a subcompact and unless you want a pocket gun there isn't much out there for ya.

Heavys a better word, I dont like stuff hanging from my belt so I picked up a bg 380 then switched to the kahr pm9 for pocket carry.

Only on my POS M9 when it was being used for anything other than pistol qual at the range. **** slide-mounted safety/decockers and **** DA/SA.

So no. Never had the safety accidentally engage on an SR9c. LOL

I didnt mean just the sr9c, but any safety. So the M9 will, but it also was probably past its realistic service life after only a few years of military use.

Heavys a better word, I dont like stuff hanging from my belt so I picked up a bg 380 then switched to the kahr pm9 for pocket carry.

I didnt mean just the sr9c, but any safety. So the M9 will, but it also was probably past its realistic service life after only a few years of military use.

It's okay, everyone is different. I know what you mean though, I can always tell the SR9c is on my hip. I never forget that it's there, unlike some guns that people say you can't even feel them on you.

what is it about the kahr that you like? to me, a safety is a deal breaker unless it's a 1911.

I like how small it is. Also, it's a company with a good reputation for quality and they say it's an accurate gun. The trigger is loooooong, though.

I need a "poor-man's" Kahr PM9 (they don't sell the CW9 in Mass). There isn't much as small as the Kahr out there, though. I may just get an LC9 and be done with it.

Back
Top Bottom