So... the boy came home with a tattoo....

Junior314

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
People who live to be 90 get gross and wrinkly anyways tattoos or otherwise. Good on you for handling like a good father. Sounds like he is squared away and there are far worse things he could come home with than a harmless tattoo.

People don't care about tattoos, piercings etc. much nowadays. At a company meeting last year where the corporate folks got up on stage to present to a room full of mid level field leadership and store managers (1,200+ people) and one of the presenters who reports directly to the man who basically runs the company has a nose piercing, purple hair and basically a feminine version of a Mohawk.

Edit: I remember coming home after getting an ear piercing when I was like 19/20 and my jarhead dad picking me up at the train station after visiting the gf at college and him immediately spouting off ohh I'm sorry I am here to pick up my son not my daughter.

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Reminds me of a Daniel Tosh stand up skit. He's talking about tattoos and that people will say, "yea but what's it gonna look like when your 90". And he says "people covered in tattoos don't live to be 90" lol
Hilarious.
Like I said, my Dad had a couple. He fought in Pacific.

SeanT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I had been thinking of one for a few years before turning 18. Finally hit the age and found a design I really liked. Brought the idea up to both of my parents separately and received pretty much “meh, whatever” responses. Finally went to go get it a few months later and apparently my dad hit the roof when he found out that’s where I went. This was before cell phones and and my buddy and I road tripped to NH to do it (still illegal in MA at the time). Apparently he grabbed my mom and they headed over to my friend’s house to try to stop me, but a) they didn’t know exactly where the house was and b) I picked her up and we took my car up pretty much immediately. As a result, they had no luck finding me or stopping me.

From what my mom has said, he was pissed and storming around the house, ready to tear me a new one as soon as I got home. She eventually was able to talk to him and found out that I had in fact ran the idea past him well before going. She had thought I had only mentioned it to her, not him hence his reaction. Well, once she found out that I had told him and he had pretty much blown it off, she instead tore into him for not participating as a parent (traditional stoic, silent Irish type that would rather water boarding to talk).

I got home to a very quiet house and not a peep one way or another about it from him. My mom wanted to see it and seemed a bit relieved it was on my upper arm/shoulder area rather than some place easily visible. Now my mom has a small tattoo as well and (21 years later), I’m planning to get another once I hit some personal milestones I’ve set for myself over the next year.

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Edit: I remember coming home after getting an ear piercing when I was like 19/20 and my jarhead dad picking me up at the train station after visiting the gf at college and him immediately spouting off ohh I'm sorry I am here to pick up my son not my daughter.
Priceless.

I know that body modifications are the norm nowadays. But a neck tattoo on a lawyer, or a surgeon etc would likely be an obstacle. Something cute on a strippers rear might be beneficial. As with most things in life, it is a matter of degree.

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It's just another way that people show their identity.

The ancient Polynesians had many tattoos, but they all had a purpose.

The men would have a tattoo on their back, showing a map or pictures of the island they came
from, in case they drowned when fishing, so that someone would know where to return the body.

The girls would have thin bracelet tattoos when they date a boy, and if you were the boy and showed up one day and she had a new bracelet, it means she has dumped you for another stud!
(The girls pick the boys in a lot of southern pacific islands) When she eventually gets married, they take all the small bracelets and transform it into a large floral one that
symbolizes she is married. (They didn't have much money for diamond rings.) The more men she had, the bigger her wedding bracelet, the bigger the envy of the other women on the island.

I learned this from an old Samoan woman when I was a young lad of 10, living in Hawaii. Her wedding bracelet ran all the way up to her elbows, and she loved showing it off and pointing to the spot
on her wrist and saying, "And this is when the US Navy came to our island before the war!"[rofl][rofl][rofl]

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I will freely admit that I almost got the EGA back in the day, but changed my mind/wussed out.

I kept hearing the voice of John Walsh from America's Most Wanted, saying - " Fencer can easily be identified by the Marine Corps tattoo on his right arm. " :)
I laughed so much I almost went into A-Fib!

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I told my girls that if they ever came home with tattoos, I would remove them with a belt sander.
Me too. She came home after freshman year of college and was afraid to go into the pool. I hadn't picked up on it when my wife said " Just show him"
We are both born in August. She got a lion, and underneath it is a line to Tom Petty's Wildflowers that I used to sing to her when she was little. And below it it says Dad
Smart kid, eh?

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Well if you’re not angry, then definite 0/10 on the rant. Anger is a key ingredient.

Also, I think it’s worth mentioning that literally no one born after 1983 or so gives a shit about tattoos, or where they are.
Well, kinda. You would be surprised. People may not necessarily admit it, but the bias is there. There are lots of informal "no go zones" and that kind of thing. For example my cousin on my mom's side has one full sleeve, another one half done, and like an easy 85% of her friends are inked. But you won't find a single one of them that has a hand/neck/chest tat, because it's still considered retarded by many.

The 23 year old woman I dated in vermont for a brief period had at least like 7 pieces of ink on her, but they were all in places she could cover it up if she wanted. She worked in a bank at a mid-high level position. There's no way in hell she'd end up with a neck, face, or hand tat either.

-Mike

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Well, kinda. You would be surprised. People may not necessarily admit it, but the bias is there. There are lots of informal "no go zones" and that kind of thing. For example my cousin on my mom's side has one full sleeve, another one half done, and like an easy 85% of her friends are inked. But you won't find a single one of them that has a hand/neck/chest tat, because it's still considered retarded by many.
And that was kind of my line of thought. I really don't care if he gets a tattoo, but figured a little resistance may be enough to keep the kid from putting it on the back of his neck.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I applaud you for making your feelings known, keeping your daughters trust and just plain being a good dad. At the age of 14 my daughter started asking to get a tattoo, the wife and I let her know not until you are 18 and it had to be where you could easily cover it if you did not want it to be seen. Fast forward to 17th birthday, we decided to let her have one and paid for it, placement on her back/shoulder. A couple years later she thanked us for letting her know how important placement was… fast forward 13 years, the daughter had a great personal loss, she got a phoenix on her forearm. I totally approve and love it because it was well thought out and has direct meaning to who she is today.

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
A few years ago, my daughter had the company "23 and me" as a client and went through the dna analysis. It basically came back that my side of the family are 99.999% the whitest sonsabitches on the planet. LOL. Like, ancestors left Africa early and went straight to Ireland/Scotland and began to become pasty. And thrown in is a smattering of Viking blood.
My son thought it was cool and said " Wow we are descended from Vikings! I said " No, we are descended from a people that was raped and pillaged by Vikings. Then the Vikings said "This place sucks" and left."

76Too

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I will freely admit that I almost got the EGA back in the day, but changed my mind/wussed out.

I kept hearing the voice of John Walsh from America's Most Wanted, saying - " Fencer can easily be identified by the Marine Corps tattoo on his right arm. " :)
i just spit beer out of my nose...i could actually HEAR him narrating that phrase. SFMF

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Remind your kid that removing that will cost more than 3x what it cost to get and will take between 5-10 sessions spaced 6 weeks apart.

Could take 2 years (maybe longer) to make it dissapear with laser treatment. And in the meantime, it looks like sh*t because it fades away very slowly.

I agree on the hiding of tattoos. Inhave a couple on my leg, but its not hard to wear pants to work. It would be very hard to wear long sleeves during summer and at trade shows.

It is the reason why I never got any tattoos in any visible places. There are people that worked with me for years and have no idea I have a couple of tattoos.

dw617

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

-Mike
I have 2 sleeves, when I win the lottery and never have to work again is when I'll get my hands done.

MisterHappy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
Tats are not my thing. Neither of my boys have any, either.

Fortunately, friends of theirs have been "good" bad examples:

One got a "Sweet AR" tat...except that it was backwards, with the ejection port on the wrong side! [laugh]. He balanced that with a TEC-9....and that was backwards, too [rofl]

The best one, though was one if his buddies from Army training - he had a US Flag tat, done at the parlor, right outside of the base's gate.....and they put too few stripes on the flag! [rofl]

Andy in NH

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Too bad Bill Jeans isn't teaching anymore.
You could take the kid to a gun class.
Bill-Jeans-Closeup-1024x768.jpg

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I have a quarter sleeve that can be covered by a polo. I would like to eventually have sleeves but I'm taking my sweet ass time. When I clerked for a judge one summer in law school I saw some lawyers, even for big companies, with hand tattoos. The judge I worked for who previously did hiring for a big firm said it wasn't his thing but if it weren't offensive it wouldn't factor in to a hiring decision. Plenty of wrist and behind the ear tattoos on other law students as well, and this was at a pretty selective school. Times they are a changing.

That said... apart from my generic EGA shoulder tramp stamp, which came out well, I have gone to an actual artist for my work. There are plenty of absolutely gross tattoos out there. Military guys get some of the dumbest shit and it often looks like its done in magic marker.

Shark_Cage

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No tats on me but I'm not anti. A few years ago I was forced to take my family to the Great Wolf Lodge. Totally sucked but the kids had fun. At the pool I saw a few grannies with old tats. IN one case I was thinking to myself "why did she get an iguana tattoo over her boob?" Then she moved and I realised it was a horse but it was faded and wrinkled.

That is when I named that pool the Pool of Tattoo Regret lol

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A few thoughts:

My grandfather used to always wear long sleeves, even in the Summer. He had a tattoo of some girl/name other than my grandmother on his arm.
My 14 year old son would come home with doodles on his skin done in pen or marker. I'd scrub them off with detergent or 409 and a scotch brite, and told him tattoos are harder to remove, but I will do it. I hope your son wears long sleeves to job interviews. I can't imagine a tattoo for myself, but if someone held a gun to my head, I'd get some sort of snake that wraps around. I've looked, and never seen one, ever, that does that. I can't imagine people like Tweety Bird SO much they had to get it on their body. The ones with weird stuff, or portraits is downright disturbing/disturbed. A friend of the wife has a little sun on her back, and now regrets it. Another has a dolphin. Do people really like dolphins THAT MUCH?

tuna

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
When I was young in the early 90s, before they were as popular as they are now, a buddy and I decided to get tats. There was a tattoo parlor above the Easy Rider bar in Osan, Korea so we went there (never said we were geniuses then).
We rock paper scissored and he went first. Took him forever, and by the tine he was done I had drank my tattoo money. Looking back, I’m not disappointed.

At least I didn’t get one ten years later from the guy in a van in Sicily.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool symbol, shitty placement.
Meh’ on the symbol, pretty generic. Forearm for the first wasn’t the best idea.
Couple things, with a total of only 1 tattoo it’s now prominently visible with a T-shirt. It’s also going to get in the way of any future tattoo work. I give a 99% probability it’s covered up or changed at some point.
I got my first at 19 then modified it at 21.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tattoos nowadays are a way for people trying to show how unique and special they are by doing something everybody else is doing.

The way for a young kid to be unique and special is to NOT get a sleeve and grow a beard,or for girls NOT to get a tattoo on their thigh.
Never been a fan of leg tattoos on girls. Sleeves are fine but something about the legs seems off to me for some reason.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
jeez, my nephew...the day he got out of the marines, became the Tattooed Man! he had pent up urges to tattoo his whole body, apparently

TrashcanDan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Meh
Its as big of a deal as people make it out to be, and a lot different than it used to be 20 or so yrs ago.
Pretty common in trades, although I'm now seeing teachers and "desk types" with sleeves covered up with long sleeve shirts.
Although I'l never understand the neck/face/forehead/cheek tattoos. Used to be you'd go that route if you ran out of room, but, whatever.

I do regret getting in on my forearms, not because they're visible, but because of the line of work I'm in has left them faded and scarred.
I am looking into getting them laserd off, just because they've lost the detail and definition they once had.

I will admit, it can be pretty addicting.
My back has since been finished.

Top Bottom