So... the boy came home with a tattoo....

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So my son turned 18 last January. He is a great kid overall. National Honor Society, Varsity Letterman, plays guitar and sings, and never been in any trouble.

Since he was 15 he has been saying he wanted to get a very specific tattoo. I am not a fan of tattoos, but understand that many people really like them. But I am a Dad... therefore, try to be the voice of reason. I have always told my kids..." A tattoo is a permanent reminder of a temporary idea" blah blah blah. His older sister got a tat in college and was sure I would throw her out. (didn't)

So, being realistic, I knew the kid was going to do it eventually. I enlisted his sister to talk to him about placement and the value of a very good artist etc. but made it clear that it was not something I was going to endorse - ever.
Monday at work, the phone dings. Text from my beloved daughter. " Don't flip out - Jake got a tattoo." My reply - "Where"... "Forearm"
#@$&$%#$% is what I am thinking...instead I reply " Attention whore :( " with angry emojis

She tells me to "Try to be nice and dont tell him I told you"
Later I come home and the boy is wearing a long sleeve t shirt. I never betray my kids trust. If one asks me not to share what they told me, I won't unless someone will get hurt.
So I wait...We have dinner at the table, as usual. We finish and he says " I am going to the gym" and a few minutes later he comes down in gym gear. I pounced like a tiger.
"WTF is that!? Really, on your forearm? Why not just put it on your neck? That way you can be an attention whore year round."

I am not really mad ( and he knows it) but I had to play the part.
"If you have money for tattoos, maybe you should start paying for your cell phone and car insurance"
In my head I am chuckling to myself.

RumRunner

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
When I was in my early 20's, I really wanted to get a tattoo on my forearm, actually both. Never did, and at 52 I am very glad I didn't. I'm not against them, but if I was to get one today it would certainly be in a better location.

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
LOL, well played. Not the worst thing, and sounds like otherwise he has his head screwed on straight.

atmay

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Thought I made it clear I wasn't angry. Pretty sure anger is the primary ingredient in a rant.

Was really hoping to hear others tattoo/ kid stories
Well if you’re not angry, then definite 0/10 on the rant. Anger is a key ingredient.

Also, I think it’s worth mentioning that literally no one born after 1983 or so gives a shit about tattoos, or where they are.

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Could have been worse...I had a 16 year old daughter come home with a tramp stamp on her ass, and a spike in her tongue!

And no...I am not going into that story, suffice to say that she got rid of the tongue spike the next day.[rofl][rofl]

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
A tattoo is a permanent reminder of a temporary idea" .
Just because its an old school saying, doesn't mean it doesnt hold value anymore. As trendy as they are, it still holds true. I never wanted to wear the same clothes every day. You'll always change your thinking.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
cool, i have a set of 1911 grips esmeralda made with what i call a celtic knot (trinity knot) running through out the panels. i sent her the design, she executed it.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I did not take a pic. But it is essential this, high up on his forearm. He is a big kid so has big forearms.

i like it. but the problem with tattoos is they look like hell as they age. by the time he's 50 ya won't know what it is.

Skysoldier

Forum Curmudgeon
NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I didn't get my first tatoo until I was 50. The tatoo artist (right outside of Fort Benning) told me he liked giving tats to us "Old Farts", because our skin is not going to change
anymore. He also gave a generous discount to Veterans![smile]

Tinkermatic

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Times have changed. I have a full back piece of my own design. My wife has a nose ring(cute diamond stud) and works at a fortune 500. Our oncology veterinarian has visible tattoos and piercings and probably makes a high six figure salary. Tattoos and piercings are relatively acceptable nowadays.
While I still prescribe to tattoos being an exo-skeletal defense mechanism, their acceptance in mainstream society has changed and will continue to do so. It’s the same thing as a bumper sticker, just for your forearm. Also, a trinity knot is the least offensive forearm piece you could have hoped for.
Well played Sir.

atmay

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I don't know. I think where they are says almost as much as what they are.
Personally, and among more or less everyone in my age group I know (i.e. born in or after ‘83 or so), unless it’s some sort of extremely distasteful or hate-driven thing (neo-nazi for example)....the only response you’ll get is questions about who did it, if you’d recommend them, and whether or not that particular spot hurt. Sometimes someone will ask what it means. Thats it.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thought I made it clear I wasn't angry. Pretty sure anger is the primary ingredient in a rant.

Was really hoping to hear others tattoo/ kid stories
I'm a retired corpsman, half of my career being with the FMF, two of my boys are Marines. My youngest, has gone full berserk with tattoos. I had told him of my regrets and what I'd do different. FWIW I have two full solid sleeves and a complete chest panel.

I told him to wait until he's 25 or so and save up. You're a different guy at 25 than you were at 19. That and good ink isn't cheap and cheap ink isn't good. I wasn't against it of course, not in the sense of it, but was just against him making decisions he'd regret.

He didn't listen. His flavor is more of the sailor jerry old school stuff, but he's getting small pieces here and there and at some point he'll have to piece them together or look like a quilt. He's kept them above his t shirt line though.

The way things are going though he could have a bone through his nose or whatever out in 1st CIVDIV.

I wear a suit and tie daily. It's funny that people around my little town never see me in my work attire and work never sees me in boots, wranglers and a t shirt, so when the two mix it befuddles people.

His mother (my wife) only has a single piercing in each ear, that's it. She obviously isn't against tattoos, just tattoos on her baby lol. She just shakes her head.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
i like it. but the problem with tattoos is they look like hell as they age. by the time he's 50 ya won't know what it is.
Reminds me of a Daniel Tosh stand up skit. He's talking about tattoos and that people will say, "yea but what's it gonna look like when your 90". And he says "people covered in tattoos don't live to be 90" lol

Top Bottom