So that's why the car's riding funny!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of those, "Well there's your problem!" stories.

One of our cars was driving weird. Lots of pull to one side, steering wheel well over to keep the thing straight. Also, it felt as the car was "loose" or, "wobbly" down the road.

So, we decide to bring it to the shop for an alignment.

It's never a good sign when the mechanic that's doing the work calls his buddies over for a "Hey Earl, Check this out!"

It turns out, one of the front control arms was broken. Not completely, but there was a good break about 3/4 of the way through it. It was literally hanging by a thread!

The guys were like, "Well THERES your problem!"

It must have been a fairly recent break, because it was not rusted through (how long would that take?)

Pretty scary...considering what the guys were telling me COULD have happened if it had snapped completely at highway speeds.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, the car passed inspection about a week ago!
Apparently, they didn't catch that. Or, it happed within the week after...But I do not think so.

EMTDAD

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
about 10 yrs ago, I had a 99 Corolla that was pulling to the side... went in for an alignment, found a busted front shock that was dragging along the tire. Repair was 2 new shocks and 2 new tires. Roughly $1K IIRC.

I drive Indy-495 from Wrentham to Bolton daily. Could've been tragic.

Greg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
yes, the car passed inspection about a week ago!
Apparently, they didn't catch that. Or, it happed within the week after...But I do not think so.
Something like that doesn't just happen in everyday driving,they missed it and imo should be held liable for any damages that happened because of that.

Personally I think car maintenance is something that the owner should be responsible for,but since the state forces us to get inspections,and stations voluntarily spend the money to do these inspections for profit....

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, you think if the inspection station missed it, THEY should be liable? Unfortunately, there is no way to prove when it happened, as we don't drive the car that often.

tuna

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
yet there are many who think an annual safety inspection is an infringement....

glad it got fixed before something catastrophic happened
Oh Bull! Every time someone calls the annual inspection a safety check I tune them out because the argunent is full of poo.
Any REAL safety problem is noticed by the driver, as in this case. What you typically get failed for is a plate light out, or window tint or the check engine light on. Yeah, those are real save the children issues. Even some of the actual “safety” issues are bogus. I’ve failed for “bald” tires that ran for another 9 months before the transmission died without issue besides borrowing a set of tires.
Call it a yearly tax and cut the crap, I’ll still pay it because I have to. Just quit lying about it.

quiller

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Years ago back home in Ireland a buddy of mine ended up in a telegraph pole because of this. The 12' wall slowed him as he slid along it, but that pole was not moving. The car was toast but he was fine, other than a new pair of knickers. Good job you got in in time.

BUMPA01603

NES Member
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
When I got my first car the State of MA made you get an inspection sticker 2x a year, spring and fall. They cost $4 then, back before unleaded gas and emissions testing. My father worked at a dealership and would bring the blank sticker pads home and change stickers out for half the neighborhood, the good old days I guess

kurtb

NES Member
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I had a tie rod break while driving once .. thank god I was going slow at the time. If it had happened doing 80 on 495 Im sure I would have rolled my truck ..

Top Bottom