• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

so, some opinions on the sig 220

I love the 220, have one in .45 and will be getting a legion SAO in 10mm at some point. Really wouldnt mind a stainless elite or a long slide 9mm (for sexy time).

I own a P226 Legion in 9mm
Recently fired a friend's P220 in .45 Very nice gun. Felt fantastic in the hand and while firing. May or may not spring for the legion version.
The P220 in .45 will be my next purchase as soon as I get back to destroying the ocean.

Fantastic gun. Have to look- I think mine was made in NY. Regardless, I've carried it for years and shoot it regularly to stay 'fresh' with it. Never a single issue, eats everything. I have the SRS trigger and like it a lot. Thinking about getting a 220 in 10mm. I have a Gen 1 Delta Elite but it only does split duty between safe queen and range toy to keep it nice.

Mine is German and until I had Greg Derr work his magic on my Colt 1911, it was my most accurate .45acp. It's still the most accurate out of the box .45 I own.

I have a West German one which of course has the Carbon Steel Slide. Some parts for the breech block are getting difficult to find. The next slides were the Stainless Slide and then finally the E2 Slides.
I also have a Elite Stainless SAO in 10mm which is just fantastic.

227 anyone?

Good fit for large hands that are on the skinny side. It's so similar to the 220 that the slides can be interchanged. My standard version had some bad trigger slap. The Elite was much better. Sold both of them. Regretted it.

Sold my P220 Scorpion after getting my P227. Another regert.

My P220 is my house gun. Shoots great, never had a hicup. I took it to a Sig Course and tried to do rapid mag changes and failed. I replace the original grip with the thicker Houge grips which made me need to shift my hand to drop the Mag. Once I went to the E2 type grips, I could do a quick mag drop with no issue. It is a single stack which limited to 8 round. The extended 10 rounders are awkward and will not fit in my quick access safe. I would have like to picked up P227 with the double stack, but live behind enemy line.

It's a pistol that goes bang every time you pull the trigger. Find somebody who has one and shoot it. If you like it, buy one.

Me? Meh. I don't necessarily have to have a 45, so a Canick in 9mm at 1/3 the price does the same thing.

It's a marvelous pistol. Heavy for a .45, enough that I'd rather have a 1911. But the P220 in 10mm may be the best solution known for enjoyable shooting in that cartridge.

I’d put my Glock 40 (long slide) up against a P220 10mm for a test. It would be an interesting comparison. I’ll throw my Delta Elite into the mix too for a real good time!

I’d put my Glock 40 (long slide) up against a P220 10mm for a test. It would be an interesting comparison. I’ll throw my Delta Elite into the mix too for a real good time!

Even given I can pretty much always get an employee discount on Sig, I still went Glock for 10mm - was just unhappy with Sig capacity for such a huge handgun - I feel they missed the mark and only made it into a target or hunting pistol when it should be much morem.

But I would be very surprised if most people shot a Glock 40 better than a Sig 220 - until they ran out of ammo in the Sig anyway. A Glock just can't have the trigger you get in a Sig if nothing else, at least no Glock I've ever shot.

I like both just for different reasons.

I have owned a P220ST, it was very accurate.
I did put the slim grips and short trigger on it.
Never had an issue with it.

It reminds me of my S&W 4006 CHP issue pistol.
It makes a great truck/home defense pistol, but I wouldn't want to carry one.
Nice classic pistol. But I would rather carry a S&W Shield in 45 ACP at half it's weight!

I prefer standard single/double action pistols for a shooter new to semi-auto actions.
They offer features that are helpful safety wise for a novice shooter.
Those mag safety's get a bad rap till someone shoots their own leg..
Just like I prefer to have a new shooter try a revolver do to the ease of loading and unloading safety wise.

Last edited:
I only have a older, 2 tone, sig 228 now. I've got plenty of glocks, but my 228 has a home here for life. The 228 fits my hand like a glove, stupid accurate, never malfunctions and sports 13+1 capacity. I added tritium/fiber optic sights and it's good to go. If things go bump in the night, strap on the belt with the 228, mags, Fenix flashlight and k-bar and I'm good to go, in my skivvies of course.

just interested to hear 'em. good, bad & indifferent

i feel like in Mass a P226 with 15 round preban makes more sense. But I wouldn't trade the P220 if I had one. Also consider a CZ 97B or HK45, both 10 round 45s.

The main attraction of P220 is the thin grip, imo. Feel great in hand.

The only real flaw in the P220 is usually the magazine, which can just go haywire some times... YMMV

The only real flaw in the P220 is usually the magazine, which can just go haywire some times... YMMV

Never had issues with mine, when I had it.... all the mags I had worked well, but they were all sig factory mags. a 7, a bunch of 8s, and one
10 rounder... some other NESer has this gun and mags now, its been so long I forget who I sold it to, (could prolly look it up) but I bet they're
still enjoying that gun. It had these grips on it, too.... SIG Sauer P220 Cocobolo American Model Checkered - Fancy Hardwoods - Sig P220 DA/SA - P220 American (Side Magazine Release) - SIG SAUER Grips - Handgun Grips - Hogue Products

-Mike

Never had issues with mine
yeah, same here. the original 7 rounders were at one time hard to find. the 3 that came with the gun still going strong. i took a chance at a wilmington show and picked up 4 more that looked like they made it through a war, so far so good and i bought 6 sig branded made in italy 8 rounders off a member here and their champs. nothing to complain about here.

Same here. Love how it feels and handles. I have the DAK trigger, which I love!

You're probably the only person in america that likes that trigger, but to each their own. [laugh] It's too bad it
couldn't have been like the HK LEM but chances are they would have had to violate a patent or something in order to
do it.

-Mike

Lol. I might be a little 'hard' on insert...

The P220 SAO Elite has a great big hole...

1585829837774.png
^ Looks like an Ammo Funnel... [rofl2]

Had one -> liked it -> sold it -> miss it

I would not recommend for carrying (very heavy gun) but for the range or home defense it would be great IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom