So I've got this motorcycle.....

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
This year, my wife decided that she wanted to sell her Vespa300 for a proper motorcycle. She sold it on Craigslist pretty quick and we started looking for a replacement. After quite a bit of searching we found a lightly used 2012 Suzuki TU250. It's a great little bike, but after owning it for a few months, we both noticed that she hadn't ridden it much at all. That revelation led to the next one that riding actually scares the shit out of her, and she was ready to move on. That's cool. I respect the fact that motorcycling isn't for everyone, and I certainly wasn't going to make her do something she didn't like. Right?

So, after talking it over she said that I could do anything I wanted with the TU. so here's the question. What do I do? It's a nice little bike, and it's not costing me anything to keep. The way I see it, my options are these:

1. Sell it for cash and upgrade my Bonneville
2. Sell it and buy some kind of dual sport. The downside here is that I don't think I'd find a decent one for the cash I'd get out of the TU.
3. Keep it and cafe it out. I had less that stellar results the last time I attempted this so I'm hesitant.
4. Keep it and make it a scrambler type. See number 3.
5. Keep it stock and have a spare bike for the rare occasion that I've got a friend that wants to ride. This is admittedly pretty rare, so that's why it's low on the list.

What do you guys think?

Sully

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Save your pennies over the winter, sell it in the spring when it'll be worth most, and try to get a dual-sport when the opportunity arises. Anything you put into your Bonneville won't help resale if/when you decide to sell. Not to say some upgrades won't be worth it, I don't know much about those Triumphs.

Sounds like you're not ready to take on a scrambler/cafe build, so heed your own advice on that. I think a scrambler would be cool, but I'd rather buy one already built (or the dual-sport) than end up with a garage full of parts and a disassembled bike in 3 years.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I dunno, I'd get rid of it. I have a softail and my wife has an XL1200 she hasn't so much as started this year. It costs me about 220 bucks a year to keep her bike on the road but I do in the hopes that she'll start riding, or for when I feel like going faster than my 1998 softail will take me. A 250... I'd drop it like its hot and put the money elsewhere. Her XL1200... its a **** ton of fun, I just can't see a 250 being that much of a blast. YMMV

Mike

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
It's a fun little bike, but you know, it's a 250 single. I have a friend coming in to town next month for three days of moto riding all over MA NH and VT. So I've got a reason to keep it until then. After that I'll be committed to keeping it until next spring. Which is totally fine, I've got the room.

I'd love to get a dual sport. I've never really done any dirt riding but it looks like a blast. i could also put some money into the Bonne. It doesn't NEED anything, which is why I've left it pretty much stock. but you know how it is: new pipes, upgraded suspension, fender eliminator, new tires (which it will need next year), the list is endless. I have no desire to sell it, so really the upgrades would be just for me.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I would lean towards selling it. There's still some good riding season left so maybe somebody will jump on it. I'd love to get a little bike like that for teaching my kids but I have nowhere to store another bike.

BTW - be careful googling the name of that bike. I wasn't familiar with that model and googled it. Got pictures of the bike along with some very nasty Asian women.[shocked]

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
I Her XL1200... its a [actual] ton of fun, I just can't see a 250 being that much of a blast. YMMV
It's a fuel injected single with ridiculous cornering clearance, light weight and decent brakes. It will easily disappear from view of an XL 1200 on a twisty road and can cruise at highway speeds with a sub 200 lb rider. It's like comparing a pickup truck and a Miata.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/suzuki-tu250-anyone-seen-ride-one.414302/ People are buying 250's and 300's for commuting instead of scooters. The TU250 was an instant retro hit from introduction.

Last year I rode my WR250R more miles than the Tiger. And my wife stole my Trailway 200 AKA "Fat tire flier."

I'd love to get a dual sport. I've never really done any dirt riding but it looks like a blast. i
Do eet! We've had a blast. You might be able to trade someone.

Last edited:

hv55maxx

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Northwest Assachusetts where the dragons be
This year, my wife decided that she wanted to sell her Vespa300 for a proper motorcycle. She sold it on Craigslist pretty quick and we started looking for a replacement. After quite a bit of searching we found a lightly used 2012 Suzuki TU250. It's a great little bike, but after owning it for a few months, we both noticed that she hadn't ridden it much at all. That revelation led to the next one that riding actually scares the shit out of her, and she was ready to move on. That's cool. I respect the fact that motorcycling isn't for everyone, and I certainly wasn't going to make her do something she didn't like. Right?

So, after talking it over she said that I could do anything I wanted with the TU. so here's the question. What do I do? It's a nice little bike, and it's not costing me anything to keep. The way I see it, my options are these:

1. Sell it for cash and upgrade my Bonneville
2. Sell it and buy some kind of dual sport. The downside here is that I don't think I'd find a decent one for the cash I'd get out of the TU.
3. Keep it and cafe it out. I had less that stellar results the last time I attempted this so I'm hesitant.
4. Keep it and make it a scrambler type. See number 3.
5. Keep it stock and have a spare bike for the rare occasion that I've got a friend that wants to ride. This is admittedly pretty rare, so that's why it's low on the list.

What do you guys think?

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
It's a fuel injected single with ridiculous cornering clearance, light weight and decent brakes. It will easily disappear from view of an XL 1200 on a twisty road and can cruise at highway speeds with a sub 200 lb rider. It's like comparing a pickup truck and a Miata.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/suzuki-tu250-anyone-seen-ride-one.414302/ People are buying 250's and 300's for commuting instead of scooters. The TU250 was an instant retro hit from introduction.

Last year I rode my WR250R more miles than the Tiger. And my wife stole my Trailway 200 AKA "Fat tire flier."

Do eet! We've had a blast. You might be able to trade someone.
If I had my way Id sell hers for an R6 or something and keep my bike for cruising. Compared to my softail though the 1200 is a lot of fun, and does everythimg and more that it needs to on a public way.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
if you are not going to use it on a regular basis, sell it. The worst thing for anything mechanical is to not get used. gas turns to shit, seal start to leak, things start to rust etc.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0

This is truth. In the little riding I've done on it, it's stupid fun. Super light, super flickable, and will do 65 with me on it (I'm not a huge guy). The Bonne is just obviously better so after next month there's not much reason to keep it if she doesn't want to ride. I'd hate to give one up without replacing it which is why I'm thinking dual sport if I were to sell it. Bonne upgrades, except for pipes, aren't super expensive so i wouldn't NEED to sell it for that. I also don't know anyone who rides dirt... Ha, or at all for that matter... And I've been reading about off road riding alone being kinda dangerous.

ETA: I saw a TW200 for sale somewhere around here recently, and was thinking it looked like it might be a good option.

What do you think you're gonna sell it for? I've been eyeing one of those for a bit now.
I paid $3500 for it in May. It had 2500ish miles on it then and we've done maybe 150 miles since. So I'd probably list it for something like that. It really is like new. I suspect the guy I bought it from here in town bought it for his wife who lost interest as well.

Sell it for a downpayment on a Ducati Scrambler. :)
Ha! I like how you think.

if you are not going to use it on a regular basis, sell it. The worst thing for anything mechanical is to not get used. gas turns to shit, seal start to leak, things start to rust etc.
That's what I'm worried about. It's a nice little bike, I'd hate to see it breakdown from lack of use.

Last edited:

MP-In-The-Wind

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
XTAV750
The Mt Washinton auto road is 95% PAVED...no worries. even the dirt section is fine. My SO and I did it (2 Harleys)

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
6. Sell it for hookers and blow.

Then buy a nice dual sport on some credit cards and go to Mexico for three years. Come back all innocent like you just went to the store to get some milk and bread, like it was No big deal.

SXerusly, you could probably sell it next spring for $200 more than now. Question is: when? April, May, June? Who knows when people will start thinking about buying starter bikes again. It's really not predictable. It's a great bike with a ton of intrinsic value. Id advertise it now.

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
what bike is that? the one in the front with the rider
It's the first bike to be ridden to the pole - both of them. The Yamaha Trailway 200, also known as the "Fat Tire Flier." It's a riot.

Yamaha started making them In 1987 and still sells them. They've changed little.

The bike behind it is a Yamaha WR250R, an absolutely remarkable bike.

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
Like most dual sport and adventure bikes the riding position is very natural. With a 1.8 gallon tank you'd be getting off every couple hours anyway even though they can get 70-80mpg.

Yamaha advises not to go over 55 but they max out at 70 or so.

Last edited:

swampy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
It's a fun little bike, but you know, it's a 250 single. I have a friend coming in to town next month for three days of moto riding all over MA NH and VT. So I've got a reason to keep it until then. After that I'll be committed to keeping it until next spring. Which is totally fine, I've got the room.

I'd love to get a dual sport. I've never really done any dirt riding but it looks like a blast. i could also put some money into the Bonne. It doesn't NEED anything, which is why I've left it pretty much stock. but you know how it is: new pipes, upgraded suspension, fender eliminator, new tires (which it will need next year), the list is endless. I have no desire to sell it, so really the upgrades would be just for me.
Have you actually tried riding that 250 all over MA, NH, and VT in a 2 or 3 day stretch? That is a tough task on a small 250 single. It is hardly a comfy sized bike to ride on a highway or even a 55mph secondary road for long. Maybe your wife would be interested in riding a bike better suited to an all day ride if it was a more comfortable and relaxed ride. My GF started out on a 650 and moved up to a 750 a year later. She's ready to move up to something like a wide glide that'll accommodate her long legs. Just because they're girls doesn't mean they need baby bikes. They can ride with the big boys.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
She chose it when she decided to sell the Vespa. We looked at bigger options but came to the conclusion that the bigger heavier bikes were too much for her to manage as a new to proper motorcycles rider. After we got it and went out a few times and she decided that riding really wasn't for her after all and wanted to focus on other things. It's more my passion than it is hers and I have to respect that. I'd be a terrible husband if I insisted she do something she didn't like/was kinda scared of.

The touring next month is with a friend of mine who's coming out from Utah. He's the guy that got me into riding and he seems pretty excited about tearing around on the TU. It really isn't a bad little bike in the 45-60 range. Long rides on the freeway might be tough, but most back roads from 40-50 and it's a legitimate blast. Either way I'll leave that for him to judge.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
90% of bikes are "more than you need" in the power department... I saw families of 4 on little bikes overseas... bombing around the desert. That said the whole toy vs utility thing comes into play.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Top Bottom