• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

So, I want an AR15

That's about it. Here's the catch, at the moment i can't so much afford it, but more to the point, I know almost nothing about them, and have very little long gun experience. I'm thinking about saving up some cash waiting until spring. It'll give me some time to figure out what I want. I think assembling one is a little above my paygrade, so I thought I'd go with one already put together and maybe modify it later... Anyway, I guess im curious about what you guys think. Which brand you prefer, are there varying calibers, that kinda thing. Thanks!

M

Spring huh? You do realize the Obamanator is getting sworn in to office in January right? Spring may be far too late (at best more expensive).

I'd try to offload a kidney if possible to get that rifle before January!

EDIT: AR's are like lego kits. You can buy something now and customize/tweak it later. Don't get too hung up on stocks or barrel lengths. It can all be changed quite easily.

Assuming a ban isn't in place by the spring, S&Ws should still be around. I saw one last week at Hunter's Trading post in Weymouth. They seem to be a decent off-the-shelf, entry level AR.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking: entry level. As far as another ban, I think its gonna take longer than a few months for any changes to come so I'm not super worried. Not that its impossible, but i feel like he's got bigger things to deal with first. Anyway, I guess my plan is for a range gun, that I can make changes to as I get more comfortable. I heard Bushmaster was good. What about S&W and Rock River? And is it hard to assemble one? It seems like I'd need some good directions..

Last edited:
Yeah that's what I'm thinking: entry level. As far as another ban, I think its gonna take longer than a few months for any changes to come so I'm not super worried. Not that its impossible, but i feel like he's got bigger things to deal with first. Anyway, I guess my plan is for a range gun, that I can make changes to as I get more comfortable. I heard Bushmaster was good. What about S&W and Rock River? And is it hard to assemble one? It seems like I'd need some good directions..

S&W ftw. Heard nothing but great feedback about their rifles, also look at Stag/CMT.

I think RRA isn't that bad for a range gun.

Good luck trying to find anything without paying an arm and a leg for it! The gougers are out big time, oh I mean "supply & demand"
...and how do I know this?? (chuckle, laugh, cough)

ace57

Saw a brand new Rock River tonight. Unfortunately it had been ordered for another customer and was not for sale. But I really did like the look, feel and construction. It just felt really nice.

Rich

Check out our own member John at JDL Sales. He hooked me with my first AR for a very reasonable price.

The tongue in cheek comments here are because AR's a thin on the ground due to a buying frenzy.

BPepiAR2.jpg

They're a very fun gun to shoot. You'll be glad you did it.

I just ordered an LMT lower. Put a deposit on it but it will not be in for 18 weeks. Plenty of time to save for a nice upper.

In my opinion buy the best available.

XTA,
I have a few very different AR's that you can try out. We can talk guns and airplanes. Pick up a few boxes of 223's and shoot me a PM when you have some time.

I was at Archer Arms in Carver, Bushmaster XM-15-E2S chamber .223-5.56, 18" barrel, adjustable stock but pinned in place to be MA compliant, $1500.
What else do you need to know? I dont know a lot about it, I just know that he wanted one. When Joe got off the phone I asked if it was an AR, and told him I would take it. I could only keep the surprise for 2 hours before I could not stand it and told him!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom