• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

So how would this work?

So I'm looking at picking up a complete HK german parts kit rifle with a flat. Being that I hear bending the flats and building them can be tricky, I was thinking of sending that stuff off to a smith to have done and then completing the assembly once it comes back to me. My question is, because you get the flat and it is not considered a firearm, and therefore no 4473 or Fa-10 is done upon acceptance, once it is completed into a functioning receiver does the gunsmith just send it back to me or does it then need to go to a dealer and I have to do all the paperwork? Or is this like a AR, where you don't do any paperwork until the rifle is finished and complete?

An 80% receiver is a hunk of metal

The flat is not a firearm, it's basically the HK equivalent of an 80% AR "blank".

When you take it beyond 80%, at some magic point that BATFE won't make clear, the blank becomes a firearm. So if you have your gunsmith bend & weld the receiver, he will also need to serialize it and transfer it, just like you would for an AR lower.

All in all, if you don't want to bend it yourself, better to just do the transfer of one that is already complete than to outsource the work.

Last edited:
The flat is not a firearm, it's basically the HK equivalent of an 80% AR "blank".

When you take it beyond 80%, at some magic point that BATFE won't make clear, it becomes a firearm. So if you have your gunsmith bend & weld the receiver, he will also need to serialize it and transfer it to a dealer where you'd do the paperwork just like you would for a AR.

All in all, if you don't want to bend it yourself, better to just do the transfer of one that is already complete than to outsource the work.

This, but with one question... wouldn't the gunsmith have to have the proper license to manufacture the receiver/firearm?

Other than that, the standard 4473 would apply for the transfer and FA-10 upon completion of a functional firearm.

Screw it. Looking at the costs there is no savings. Better off just buying a completed rifle.

Screw it. Looking at the costs there is no savings. Better off just buying a completed rifle.

Well, that, and not bending the flat on your own defeats the entire purpose of buying one to begin with. Legit HK smiths are also rape-ville, because that stuff is a bitch to work on. The only affordable way to build an HK is to do it yourself. If you're not doing it yourself or some help from friends, you're going to get raped.

-Mike

Depending on what flat your looking at blackmarketparts have a lot of good deals on welded up receivers for various hk guns.

if you're gonna buy a flat only to send it to someone to have them bend it--just buy a receiver. the way i understand it if you have someone else do the work for you is that once the gunsmith bends the flat, it is then a receiver, they become the manufacturer and would have to serialize it and transfer it to you.

otherwise, the flat is a flat piece of metal. no special tricks, nothing. it get shipped right to you.

the jig is expensive unless you DIY, and make sure the flat you get has centering tabs.

Back
Top Bottom