So how prepared are you for a home invasion?

Hiltonizer

Banned
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
OPM said:
blah blah blah I don't get it.
No way..I have two dogs and they....
This. The dog is only for shit I wouldn't otherwise hear, if he fails me someone still needs to kick in a door, break a window (or window guard if its open), or push in an air conditioner without me hearing that. Odds aren't good for them.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
fencer;2550022I saw a TV show once that interviewed burglars and they all said if there is a dog said:
Don't know that I'd trust the word of a BURGLAR.... [wink] Not like they're gonna give away all their secrets...

No offense..I'm not a feather ruffler here on NES

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Don't know that I'd trust the word of a BURGLAR.... [wink] Not like they're gonna give away all their secrets...

No offense..I'm not a feather ruffler here on NES
No offense taken, The show was on the Discovery Channel and was called "It Takes a Thief" It was about a couple of ex-cons that went into the home security business, very successfully, by showing people how they broke into houses etc.

Consider this.. a few years ago in Mt Blanc N.H. a group of kids stormed a house and hacked up a mom and her 11 year old daughter. Those kids stopped at two other houses first but left because the dogs started barking.

If I was crawling through a window and anything bigger than a beagle started barking, I'd leave.

marleythefish

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i am absolutely and totally unprepared for a nighttime break in. i would ask that my robber please make some coffee, fire up the internet and give me 20 mins or so, then i shall unleash hell upon him

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If I'm up and armed before they get upstairs, it would take a swat team to get me. My stairs come up at an awkward angle, the poor bastards would have 2 in the head before they even turned the corner.

GM-GUY

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a monitored alarm system, kids leave toys all over the floors, it's a freaking mine field. It also is a given I have at least one loaded weapon within arms reach.

Why - one, because if something happens and I'm not prepared as I can be I'll feel silly and two, my brother is in MCI-Norfolk and his buddies get out from time to time, before they re-offend and go back in.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If the intruder gets past the perimeter guard:

IMAG1884.jpg

He'll have to deal with an 80lbs puppy jacked up on caffeine:

IMAG1799.jpg

That mug holds 1/2 carafe (40oz) of coffee...

I've come to the realization that if this were a true home invasion and they were moving quickly, I might have been screwed. Please tell me I don't have to train waking up suddenly and reacting quickly; I don't get enough sleep as it is.
... the dog ... usually goes to the door barks, snowls, growls and jumps up about 6 feet in the air.
Obie, you need to get a bigger dog!

Attachments

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are so worried/paranoid about a home invasion then get a dog, or move to a better neighborhood -- you will drastically cut down your chances then. If you can't move -- any dog will do. It is your first line of defense. I think most burglars, unless they have a specific reason to go into a certain house, will decide to pick an easier target as soon as they see or hear a dog, of any kind. Just too much extra effort and risk. I have 200 foot long drive way and I live in the woods, but my dogs will pick up a new scent before something/one could get halfway down my driveway. Plenty of time for me to get some.

I said it years ago when Sean Taylor the DB from the Washington Redskins was killed in a home invasion. The shitbags that killed him made it up to his bedroom door before he realized they were there -- way to late.

So now he is dead.

If he had a poodle he might have had time to prepare his defense/offense.

For the record I have nothing against protecting yourself from the unexpected, but in my view this is worrying about something that has a very remote chance of actually occurring.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my dogs will pick up a new scent before something/one could get halfway down my driveway.
This may be a dumb question, but obviously that means your dogs are outside right? You're not suggesting that a dog could pick that up while sleeping inside the house, are you?

Scarecrow

Army Veteran
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a locked and dead bolted steel fire door front door at the top of a flight of wooden stairs that creak and set our Pom-chi off like armageddon is coming. If you make it through that, there is a baby gate that is fairly invisible in the dark, a long straight hallway for good lane of fire, and a bedroom door that is locked as well. By the time you get there, I'll be behind the stuff that forms a barrier to incoming fire, and the 1911 is accessible as is the Ruger SR40c, and both of our 22 pistols(backup if needed). On top of all that, I go from asleep and dreaming to moving inside of a second, and I have exceptionally good night vision. You are in my house, and RI still has a castle law. I'm not firing a warning shot.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Grid 17S with bugout longterm shelter and great fi
I'm actually more worried about a home invasion from a wrong address no-knock gone wrong than I am of a BG trying to get in. At least the BG will more than likely heed the dogs whereas the men in black will just shoot them and, well, all hell will break loose. I live in a good neighborhood with what would call decent neighbors, but still, the cops might go to the wrong side of town.

Top Bottom