So how prepared are you for a home invasion?

AllaSnackbah

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
between myself and the wife, im not too worried about it, if anyone breaks in to my place its going to look like that scene from tremors when the worm busts into the survivalist guy's basement.

i bought one of those cheap infra red detector sets from northern tool. 3 wireless sensors outside the house. anyone snooping around my trucks or yard is going to trigger them, which makes the home base unit beep (very loudly) in my room. inside the house, my lab, and soon GSD, will alert me/tear apart any intruder. if they are determined enough to make it through that, all of my weapons are improperly stored.

i think its important, psychologically at least, to have a plan in your head. im sure we all do, but do you discuss it with the wife? planning is huge, would you try to "slice the pie" through the house? or set up a choke point and ambush? what in your house provides decent cover? its your house, if you know it better than the invader, you have a major upper hand. use it to your advantage

EDIT: infrared thing i use:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200415517_200415517

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one 90# lab and two shep. 10 month old pups...All I want is a thirty second warning...I will take care of the rest...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pull the switch beside my bed and the canopy rolls over the entire bed, followed by the frame descending and meeting the slide--which zips me merrily along straight to my bank-vault panic room when I hit the big red button that blasts the flamewall vents, incinerating all organic matter in the home. I'd say I'm pretty prepared.

CosmicIrony

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Alarm system, high-security strikeplates, very indirect route to our bedroom, lots of junk to trip over in the dark - I think we'll have plenty of time to get the Sig out of the Gunvault.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, if you lock up your firearm, you are not prepared, in my opinion. Thats just my take. If that noise that you hear is your bedroom door, and your bedroom is of typical bedroom size, I don't think you're going to get to use your locked up gun if the thug is determined to attack you.

Its likely that sometimes the homeowner might be able to wake up, comprehend what is happening, open the safe, retrieve the gun, and be able to use it. But, it would seem to put the homeowner at such a big disadvantage (as if the homeowner isn't already at such a huge disadvantage in this scenario), that I do not believe that you can call yourself "prepared" if your gun is locked up.

That is my opinion.

Now, if you have a system that awakens you before the thug gets to your bedroom door, then it might be okay to lock it up. That is different. Actually, I would say that if you lock it up, you must have a system that awakens you before the thug can get to your door, if you are going to consider yourself "prepared"

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I have yet to find anything comprehensive that anyone has written about what to do before, during and after a home invasion. A step-by-step procedure (even a generic one) would be very useful.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Good thread, and a good place to ask a question I was going to ask elsewhere:

How many of you lock your bedroom door at night? The knob on my bedroom door is a standard interior one, but I figure it would give me a couple extra seconds if someone was trying to break in.

Anyone else lock theirs at night?
Two dead bolts on a solid wood door plus the regular lock. Need a sledge to get through the door. If you think you can break it down with your shoulder or pry it open with a crow bar, Good Luck! The hinges are in the bedroom not in the hall. You might be able to get through it pretty quickly with a ram but I'll be waiting for you by then.

I also have two dogs that can hear a chipmunk fart a 1/2 mile away and will let you know about it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to find anything comprehensive that anyone has written about what to do before, during and after a home invasion. A step-by-step procedure (even a generic one) would be very useful.
I think it's going to be a little bit different for every situation and every person. Depending on how much time I have, my plan is: grab gun, insert magazine and make it ready to fire, toss plate carrier over my head, put in ear plugs (that allow you to hear normal sounds but dampen gunfire), dial 911.

Basically just doing things in order of importance. Depending on how your house is set up and what family members are living there, you might only have time to grab a gun and go, and you might need to pick a spot between bedrooms to post up or something. I'll be in my room with the door locked and nobody but myself I need to protect, so it's probably a lot more straightforward for me than for a lot of you with families and pets to think about.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
why did i read this while in bed..
i have checked for my flashlight about six times..
I have a 80 lb old english bulldog but shes such a wimp i think she would die if a stranger looked at her. the cat on the other hand will take down a grown man.. he jumps with claws out at our house guests in the genital region..

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In most towns in NH (And probably a good chunk of MA as well) you can sign up for a free service that will wake you up completely at random, give you brief instructions, and expect you to be up, ready, and out the door in seconds.

I'm told this is a good way of getting used to clearing your head from a deep sleep.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In most towns in NH (And probably a good chunk of MA as well) you can sign up for a free service that will wake you up completely at random, give you brief instructions, and expect you to be up, ready, and out the door in seconds.

I'm told this is a good way of getting used to clearing your head from a deep sleep.
I'm lost. What are you talking about?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Grid 17S with bugout longterm shelter and great fi
Those that may have a memory of their first night at boot and the sound of that ****en trash can slamming off the steel beds and concrete flooring at 3am and the free flowing shit, both from the recruits a**h***s as well as the DI's mouths, well that's what our alarm sounds like if you enter the house and trip it, but this time it's the rifleman's creed and you get shot if you get past the dogs. If anyone is stupid enough to not pay attention to my 2 dogs, a Belgian shepherd/Lab cross and our 150 pound Irish Wolfhound and you really want to enter the house after repeated warnings from said pups, then at that point the alarm will go off and if jackass is persistent enough, well then, you get a pretty chalk drawing of your cooling body.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those that may have a memory of their first night at boot and the sound of that ****en trash can slamming off the steel beds and concrete flooring at 3am and the free flowing shit, both from the recruits a**h***s as well as the DI's mouths...
Good times.

Hiltonizer

Banned
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hound has caused a few false alarms, I think I respond pretty quick if its night. The littlest things wake me then, however if I'm sleeping in and the sun is even remotely up I'm dead to the world.

Some gypsies knocked on the door a few weeks ago at like 7am and the dog went bat shit, and the wife told them to get lost. According to the wife they knocked like a cop, and I slept through the whole thing. I insist its because I'm used to her getting up at a certain time and making noise of her own. On the other hand, she'll sleep through anything at night.

The false alarms are never fun, adrenaline kicks in and the various injuries I've had disappear for a few moments, and lacking unconstitutional storage laws I'm definitely alert and armed before someone could possibly get upstairs.. particularly after having to get past my dog.

One non-false alarm that resulted in a non-emergency call to the police, someone banging on the door at 2am... heart was pounding through my chest but I feel otherwise satisfied with my readiness.

One wonders however, were those false alarms truly false or did my dog do his job by scaring the shit out of someone prodding around the property?

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
IMHO, all of you with dogs have a false sense of security. You have no way of measuring how many times something went bump in the night and your dog was sound asleep. You only know when he/she signaled, which could be 100% or 10% of the time. You really cannot be sure.
No way..I have two dogs and they definetley hear and smell every minute thing imaginable. That is why the first question asked by any assault team is "Do they keep dogs?" I saw a TV show once that interviewed burglars and they all said if there is a dog, they just go to another house. Not worth the trouble or the risk. Sure, your dog may not bark when he hears your neighbor that works the night shift leave every night, but try to open a window and crawl through and they will go nuts

There was an article in hand gunner magazine that said that humans sleep through most common noises like pipes creeking, the house settling etc, but that strange noises will wake you up. It is a survival mechanism. When this happens the body also produces a shot of adrenaline, which is why when you hear a strange noise in the middle of the night you feel instantly alert. Like hearing and smell, this is much stronger in dogs.

The human mind will filter out normal noises during sleep and push the panic button at strange noises. It is why parents wake up when the kids are crying, and why you don't sleep well in a new place. You are not used too the noises. For most people, strange noises will wake you up unless you have been drinking or drugging.

So, alarm system, two dogs, good doors and locks and a very reliable rapidly accessible firearm and I sleep pretty good. Sure if Seal Team six wanted to take the house I am sure they could, but the crackhead down the street would have to be very determined.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

And it's amazing how hard it is to find the volume knob on those pagers at 0300, isn't it? Or the joy of accidentally leaving it on all-call and waking up to someone else's tones...

Top Bottom