• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

So...how much???

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice; and

Moderation in pursuit of personal security is no virtue!

I am just happy my own purchases are on the lower end of the spectrum with some here.

I had to get my own FFL and start selling guns to suport my gun buying habit. I don't know if it is working out so well, I can get guns cheaper, but it is hard to make money when you don't want to sell any of the stuff you get in.

oh what a mean question, quantify what i coulda had if i didnt shoot and saved all that money? Lets just say, if I include, practice, entry fees, travel, components, reloading equipment, accessories, firearms, club memberships, I easily could have bought my dream car, a Lamborghini Countach, and had a spare or two. and with the price of lead going up, maybe i'll have to stop, and get that car afterall, nah, can't afford the gas.

"A few bucks" (To wife asking about packages arriving in the mail almost daily)
"A lot of bucks" (looking at dwindling personal bank account)

Helpful hints:

1) Don't go to the MilSurp forum
2) Avoid at all costs any 1911 style pistol and whatever you do don't shoot one.
3) Avoid vintage S&W revolvers (heroin-like problem)
4) If you want to save money, get into reloading but be sure to say these words to the
wife: "Honey, I know it seems like a lot of money right now, but I am going to be saving
lots in the future."

oh what a mean question, quantify what i coulda had if i didnt shoot and saved all that money? Lets just say, if I include, practice, entry fees, travel, components, reloading equipment, accessories, firearms, club memberships, I easily could have bought my dream car, a Lamborghini Countach, and had a spare or two. and with the price of lead going up, maybe i'll have to stop, and get that car afterall, nah, can't afford the gas.

Hey Matt I know someone that has a Lamborghini Countach and would prob. sell it to you for the right price... It's white with tan leather and is in pretty good condition. That would make it fair for other people to actually win a match here and there and you would be happy with your new toy. See, it's a win win for everyone ... LOL

I only itemize for my tax return, and have yet to convince them that an IT Security Officer requires guns, related accessories and training...or a CWL!!

In just a few months....thousands of dollars - I don't think about it much.

How much have I spent? A lot.

In just the last couple of months I have bought a Thompson M1 (used), a DSA FAL (said it was used but it looks new to me), A Beretta 92FS (new), a Glock 21 (used), 2 Garands from CMP, a couple of M1 carbines from CMP, and the pieces to build an AR. Add a bunch of ammo and assorted "accessories".
But I have been on a bit of buying spree because I had the money available - and had a list I was working off of for things I wanted to get. Sooner or later I will slow down live with what I already have.

As far as I am concerned ammo is pretty much the only thing that is an expense. If you buy the right stuff, or buy stuff "right" - there is a high likelihood that you will get your money back out of it. Of all the "hobbies" I have been involved in I have to say firearms look to me to be one of the only things where the expenses may be high - but if you take care of the equipment you can for the most part get your money back out of it at a later date.

Ammo is a different story - obviously if you fire it the value goes down. Unfired ammo however almost seems like an investment given how much the prices have risen over the last couple of years.

Oh hell, if my wife knew how much was 'invested' just in ammo, I'd be in trouble. I mean at an average of $3 a round, that milk crate of .500 Magnum alone is <number deleted when calculated and jaw dropped>. And lets not even think about the battle packed cans of .223. I think Old Sarge needs to put me on a frequent buyer program for repack kits.

Yea, I agree with Dwarven1. I ain't going there.

Last edited:
Over the last ten years, guns + equipment + training + ammo =$25-$35,000.00, its up to you on how much you want to learn, quality of your equipment and how big your budget is... start off slow and simple and work your way up... start with maybe a glock or a sig or an H & k, maybe in 9mm til you get sufficient... fairly inexpensive, light recoil, many makes and models...

Over the course of time, probably somewhere around $30,000 to $50,000, maybe more. Of course, I started young, didn't have to buy everything myself, and I've slowed down over the years.

Remember, I'm the guy that grew up in a gun shop (literally, and it was my father's shop), grew up reloading and got started competition shooting at the ripe age of 12 or 13. That was 40 plus years ago.

I also used to have my own FFL, then moved and gave it up. I'm currently on my father's FFL.

I quit tracking money a long time ago, I don't really know how many firearms I have (literally do NOT know for sure), and my ex never had a major problem with it, nor does my girlfriend. Both owned their own stuff, and if anything, the girlfriend is deeper into it than the ex was.

Those of you that have to sneak it past the lady of the house, or otherwise hide it from her, you have failed to choose your S/O wisely. There are ladies out there that will NOT complain about what you buy, as long as the bills are taken care of, and they are taken care of.

I know I've had more than my share of "bad timing" deals, where I finally started sucking it up, tightening the belt, buying when I found it, and making do on the tight side for a little while. I passed up to many deals early on that I should've bought, and when I did buy them, I paid many times more for them. Fortunately, the lady of the house always understood that, and therefore, I didn't NEED to hide anything.

I'm of the it doesn't matter too me, and he actually shows me what he brings in, now the downside to that is he may lose it to me if I like it.[laugh] Some things he does get visitation rights too.[wink]
I don't care what hubby spends as long as we have roof over our heads, food on the table and the bills paid. Always been that way with all of his hobbies. I indulge him, and he indulges me with my hobbies. Two way street.[wink]
For us the whole family is into this hobby.[grin]

I don't know how much I have actually spent on Guns/Shooting. But I do know It scares me that my wife, after my passing, may sell them for what I told her I paid.

625 on my glock and its extra barrel, all the mags, etc etc
85 on my surplus Nagant rifle
200 on my Ruger MKIII
825 on my 1911

other variosu amounts on holsters, ammo, eye and ear protection, etc etc

all of this since January

I can neither confirm nor deny ever having spent any amount of money on guns, gun parts, ammunition or shooting accessories during the past year or at any particular time over the past half century.

Ken

I don't know how much I have actually spent on Guns/Shooting. But I do know It scares me that my wife, after my passing, may sell them for what I told her I paid.

Oh God.

Thanks for THAT thought...

"That one there, the pristine HK91, thats worth about $100. Maybe $125 to the right buyer. And the way that little pistol over there is stained blue, that knocks a lot off it's collectible value."

Back
Top Bottom