So how hard is it to obtain a Mass Non-Res LTC?

I'm sure it's been discussed here thousands of times, but I'm looking to get an updated difficulty check. I'm a New Hampshire resident who works in Massachusetts. I work in sales so I travel all around Mass as needed. Exactly how hard is it currently to get a non-res LTC? I've lived in the same NH town all of my life, have a clean record and while I don't personally know the Police Chief I'm sure a character letter from him wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks-

I'm sure it's been discussed here thousands of times, but I'm looking to get an updated difficulty check. I'm a New Hampshire resident who works in Massachusetts. I work in sales so I travel all around Mass as needed. Exactly how hard is it currently to get a non-res LTC? I've lived in the same NH town all of my life, have a clean record and while I don't personally know the Police Chief I'm sure a character letter from him wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks-

$100 per year plus a yearly "interview" in Chelsea. It's a pain in the ass but if you're in Mass all the time I think it's worth it. Restricted vs. Unrestricted is totally up to them. Good luck.

Thanks-

It's ironic that people have to go to Chelsea for the interview unarmed. When you get the LTC, don't get jacked up carrying free state magazines.

Thanks guys! ^

- - - Updated - - -

It's ironic that people have to go to Chelsea for the interview unarmed. When you get the LTC, don't get jacked up carrying free state magazines.

Good point for sure. If/when I do get my LTC I'll likely purchase a smaller carry that is Mass-Compliant strictly for carrying during the work week. Probably a S&W Bodyguard .380 or something of the like.

True story. They're screening people through a metal detector now. I had to cough up up Spyderco when I went through. They were fine about it and gave it back to me when I came out, but it's obvious that they've upped their security.

It's ironic that people have to go to Chelsea for the interview unarmed.

C'mon dude, don't scare the guy by saying this.
He's OK in that part of Chelsea, as long as he doesn't take a left turn and walk two blocks when he comes out of the building... (I mean a right turn. Um, I mean.. Oh, never mind)....
66e67c8a23c5f4d8bd8d80eca350dfa4.jpg
63314e95aabceb8433c6a2f214b05743.jpg

Good point for sure. If/when I do get my LTC I'll likely purchase a smaller carry that is Mass-Compliant strictly for carrying during the work week. Probably a S&W Bodyguard .380 or something of the like.

No need to change guns, just the mag. MA compliant guns is meaningless to you or even MA residents . . . it's a dealer transfer restriction ONLY.

No need to change guns, just the mag. MA compliant guns is meaningless to you or even MA residents . . . it's a dealer transfer restriction ONLY.

I carry an XD Mod 2 currently which is 13+1 so I just need to find a mag with under 10 rounds? (if it's actually made)

$100 per year plus a yearly "interview" in Chelsea. It's a pain in the ass but if you're in Mass all the time I think it's worth it. Restricted vs. Unrestricted is totally up to them. Good luck.

Nah, more like, it's about whether or not you run a good dog and pony show. If you bring the 3 ring circus (well written letter of need, that kind of stuff) you'll get unrestricted. If you come in with something a lot less than that they will feed you crap. Dealing with the state is not a lot different than some of the red/yellow douche towns in MA. There's a polite, calculated way of telling the issuing authority that if you don't get what you want you will be a huge pain in their ass. If one is not adept at this sort of thing, a call to a MA firearms attorney is probably a good idea.

ETA: Obviously I don't agree with this level of crap personally, but it's pretty obvious how licensing works in some of the towns (or the state). It's designed to be obstructionist.

-Mike

Last edited:
Not hard, but a pain. 6 months from submitting app to ltc in the mail. Got employment restrictions twice. Next year I'll have to beg a little harder I guess?

That's exactly how i described it to a friend in CT. Its an administrative process. A difficult one, but it is purely administrative. You put the form, time, and money into the machine and out pops a LTC.

And then there is Everett. Where after you wait 6 months for an interview, they take another year to get back to you.

I don't know what happened to it, but at one time Comm2A was suing the police chief there because of the delays.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom