1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

So Here I Am, Cooking Up 5 lbs. Of Bacon......Thanks Frigidaire..

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Zappa, Jun 25, 2019.

1. xtry51

xtry51

Those old GEs were bomb proof. Like I believe the engineer who designed it was actually a bomb shelter guy on the side. They run forever. I've never seen one actually die. There are several in my extended family.

drgrant likes this.

2. Sauer Grapes

Sauer Grapes NES Member

I had a similar problem a few years ago, GE side by side, not Kenmore. The voltage to the evaporator fan was effed up. Loose connection in the wiring harness.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  3. richc

richc NES Member

4. xtry51

xtry51

Listen, I know you vegans think you're everywhere and this huge demographic, but you're not. [laugh]

The real question is why did he let it get down to single digits. We rarely have less than 10lbs of bacon at any time.

JayMcB, Zappa and jpk like this.
  5. jpk

jpk

"Where's my bacon bitch!"

[cheers][rofl]

6. AHM

AHM NES Member

Paul Harvey once spent 1-2 minutes apologizing for totally missing his show the previous day.
    Explained that the plastic water line into his refrigerator broke and flooded his basement.
    Said "always use copper".
    He was ahead of his time.

Yeti? Go Harder.

If I had a nickle for every "kid locked in the fridge" segment on Adam-12,
    I'd have at least .15¢.

^THIS.
    It's why my parents bought Kenmore.

Coda likes this.
  7. Coda

Coda NES Member

Kenmore is far from perfect that’s for sure, I probably have just been lucky. I think when it comes to appliances it is pretty much a crap shoot. That is certainly the case with Kenmore because a bunch of different manufactures build for Kenmore.

You may already know this but just in case you need parts for that huge “shitmore” look for the first 3 numbers in the model number. A quick search will tell you who actually made it. Something to keep in mind if you do try to fix it and need parts. Like I said earlier parts from Sears/Kenmore are getting harder and harder to find. Best of luck with that.....

drgrant likes this.
  8. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

In like 2010 or whenever I bought it, it was great because it was like 400 something from the scratch and dent sears place on rt 9 and it worked very well for awhile.

I am on the fence between just chucking the thing, because it reminds me of my ex. And the only reason I bought the thing was because of her and the kids and the capacity it had. Realistically I could use a fridge that's about 1/3rd the size of that thing. I literally bought the largest one that would "fit in the space".

-Mike

Coda likes this.
  9. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

That's where i got my stuff. It was 15 years ago so cant recall how good of a deal I got, but the fridge had a big ugly dent/gouge on the left side. The way my kitchen is set up its facing a wall and completely out of view. Replaced the evaporator tray like a year in and so far it's been ok, although I never used the icemaker or water dispenser.

10. Coda

Coda NES Member

Those scratch and dent deals are good buys. I got a good deal at the Sears outlet store on a frig that had a big scratch on ONE side. Well that side happened to be the side that is against the WALL in my kitchen layout.

Never could see the damage and it was a great frig. :)

11. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

Bacon. When my NH sons go bear hunting in Alaska with their brother Mark, who lives there, they stock up on bacon. Lots of bacon. They set up camp in bear country, make a fire, and fry a couple of pounds of bacon. The bears can smell that from a long ways away. Then they just sit and wait. The bears come. Jack.

JayMcB and AHM like this.
  12. drgrant

Mine had a small chip on the door the size of a pea, which you could cover with a fridge magnet.... otherwise it was brand new, just something they damaged in shipping.

13. ront02769

ront02769 NES Member

We have a GE. It is only 32 years old but beginning to show signs of wear....like scratches on the door and stuff. My buddy who makes his pretty substantial living at appliance repair advises me to keep it until it totally dies.......because NONE of the new ones are built to go that long.

14. NHKevin

NHKevin NES Member

15. whatluck

whatluck

youre not my friend!

mimimimimimi mimimi

drgrant likes this.
  16. whatluck

whatluck

who wants a body massage?

what did he just say to us?

mr body massage machine

eeeeeeh what the hell?

ok ill stop

17. drgrant

"GOOOOOOO!" [rofl]

18. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

Did you eat it all yet?

19. AHM

AHM NES Member

Please tell me your sons at least eat the bacon.

20. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

They burn it pretty good for the bears. When they want to turn in, they have to move the pan well away from the tent. They also have to hide the fresh bacon. One time they had a griz come to the tent looking for more bacon. They managed to chase him off (no tag). They take turns sleeping and guarding. I pass on those trips. Jack.

AHM likes this.
  21. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I love Lowe's. I'm there at least once a week. But not for appliances. Never ever.

Here is my theory:

I'm going to have this "major appliance" (aka - durable good) for a decade to two decades. That's my plan. I would GREATLY prefer to deal with a place that knows the market inside and out. I mean, every single person in the shop knows the good and the bad. The values and the potential lemons. And will steer you accordingly - because their reputation depends on it.

As far as cost? You would think that an appliance store must be more than Lowe's or some other big-box. You'd be wrong. I was wrong. For years. I only started b/c I went to Sears one day 20 years ago and happened to look at chest freezers. "Oh this model is $300 and it's 12 c/f" or whatever. "We can have it delivered in 5 days." I told him to hold off.

Next day I ran into the local appliance place. 14 c/f, $280. Delivery the NEXT F'ING DAY! Bye Sears. Never spent another second in their appliance department. Cheaper. Faster. Better. Still have the freezer.

Last fridge I bought I researched online. I knew exactly what model I THOUGHT I wanted, but went in to Ray's in Taunton. I told them my specs to see what they had. The "girl" looked a bit. "Do you know what brand you're looking for?" Well, I knew. And I knew the LOWEST price I could find online.

"Yeah, I was looking at a GE. We've got a GE we bought here a couple of years ago at the lake and we like." "GE? That's the best you can get right now in that style fridge. Hold on."

She found the exact model I wanted. Wanna know how much more I paid than the BEST price online?

Zero.

I didn't even ask. Their price was ALREADY the best price.

The short version: If I'm dropping $1,000-3,000 on something, I want the most knowledgeable person possible helping me make hte decision. I won't get that at Lowe's. And if it costs me an extra $50-100 in the long run, it was 100% worth it.

I will also buy my snowblower from the small equip guy (at the SAME price if not better - and that's the guy that's gonna service it anyhow!), my carpet from a carpet company and have my mulch delivered by a mulch company. Although 500lbs of mulch is not really much. 10 bags??? That's less than a yard of mulch. So I'd probably got to Lowe's too.

No question that a Veteran's discount can help.

AHM and H-minus like this.
  22. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

"Local appliance store"... what is this mythological creature of which you speak, city dweller?

H-minus likes this.
  23. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Ya know, I'd think that, too. But I recall us saying that about stuff 30 years ago.

My belief is this: We don't like inflation. So if we can get Fridge X for 20% more than Fridge Y was selling 30 years ago, we see that as a win. But Fridge X and Y are very very very very different animals. You CAN get a good fridge (or whatever) at any time. You (me, all of us) don't want to pay for it.

Also - we are just as willing as teh appliance companies to toss out an "old" appliance instead of getting it fixed. Not only is the fix-ability of cheaper appliances less, we are more inclined to just toss something than call a repairman. Esp. after 5-10 years. My last stove - I had to get rid of ONLY because, after 20 or so years, they didn't have parts for it anymore.

Try ya'Google. I'm betting there is an appliance place within 1.5 Lowe's of your home, woods-walker. Find one that's been in business for 40 years or more. I have a good one near my house and another (that I don't use but know it's very good) near work.

KBCraig likes this.
  24. bfm

bfm NES Member

Did you eat it in bed?

25. Koolmoose

Koolmoose NES Member

Other side of the bridges behind the iron curtain
    When we moved into our current house in 2000 we replaced the worn out contractor level appliances with Maytags: refer, stove, dishwasher. The computers failed in all 3 appliances. My wife got gastroenteritis from a piece of salmon that had apparently thawed and then refroze without our knowledge. All units ran fine after repair work.

Then she wanted stainless appliances after changing her mind about cabinet/ counter colors in new kitchen. We bought a GE fridge, Kenmore dishwasher and over stove microwave, and another Maytag stove.

The GE fridge has been a disaster. It is an upper French door, lower freezer model. Five, I REPEAT FIVE times the ice maker has leaked water onto and into the rails that support the freezer door and allows it to open / shut. The rails would be damaged and the door would then not seal properly, spoiling the food. We were using coolers but finally bought a small Kenmore upright freezer for emergencies (and bacon sales at MB).

The repair guy told me the freezer door rails cost $960. I don’t know if that was bs, but a $960 part on a $1700 refrigerator, WTF. No cost to us other than lost food as we had the extended warranty, but it must have cost GE a bundle of dollars.

I know ice makers are problematic, but the engineering on this model is horrible.

We’re done with GE appliances!

BTW what’s the O/U here on members who have at least 5 lbs of bacon in refers or freezers?

26. Lignum Vitea

Lignum Vitea

Anyone know what Consumer Reports have for appliances rankings & ratings? Going to be in the market for them all in a new house build.

27. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

ZIP 03584: knock yourself out searching.

Yeah, I would love to have a kitchen full of the retromod stuff sold by Caron's, but that's not what we're talking about. Sears was the nearest thing to an "appliance store" north of the notches since we moved here in 2012.

Our "appliance guy" has provided all our used stuff. Not refrigerators, but dishwashers and washers and dryers. He's about 10 miles away, and delivers and hauls away. He fixes broken stuff and resells it. Good guy, but not exactly an "appliance store".

AHM likes this.
  28. Knob Creek

Knob Creek NES Member

My 15 year old Kenmore with bottom drawer freezer is on the fritz. The ice maker crapped out 10 years ago but never fixed it. I think all ice makers are junk anyway. Now the freezer stays @ zero degrees fine. But the the refrigerator section swings between 35 and 48 degrees without warning. Was looking at a LG at a local mom and pop store. Whatever I get I’m putting it on my wife’s Amex card. They extend the warranty at no charge. Moving food to Beer Fridge.

29. KBCraig

KBCraig NES Member

Icemakers: both of my fridges came with them. They're still in the OEM boxes. My lovely bride is addicted to ice, but a $3.99 10 pound bag once a week is better than losing the freezer space and dealing with the crap that comes with icemakers.

Icemakers have to be level. My 170 year old house doesn't have any surface that is level, plumb, flat, straight, or true. I could make them all so today, and tomorrow they would change.

30. bottle-cap

bottle-cap NES Member

The August edition of CR came in the mail yesterday. They have a big article on appliance reliability, which brands suck, which brands suck more, etc. Worth a look.

upload_2019-6-30_5-54-9.jpeg

Len-2A Training and Lignum Vitea like this.