So damned frustrated...How does one buy shoes during this covid debacle?

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I need to buy a pair of sneakers (walking shoes). Nothing is open for me to try them on. I can't order these on line because of foot issues (metatarsalgia). I need to go to a store and try them on until I find some that fit. Even within the same brands, the sizing is different. I like Merrell shoes but they keep changing models so what model/style I might have had that fits now is no guarantee that a new pair will fit like the previous pair.

I can't imagine having to wait months before I can buy another pair.

I could order two or three different sizes and then ship back the ones that don't fit I suppose but have you seen shipping rates lately?

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Amazon. Haven’t bought a pair of shoes in a store in over a decade.
Doesn't work for me...I need to sit in a shoe store and try them on. I have tried mail order and it always ends up in total frustration. I can't keep buying shoes only to ship them back time and again. This covid thing is really starting to piss me off.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I had an ex who would "save 25%" by ordering shoes, then spent twice the cost of the shoes returning them over and over until the right size was achieved.

For a half hour of your time (less time than is spent re-packaging and mailing) the right fit could be found at the local store.

Years of experience have taught me that far, far too many people are doing this.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I had an ex who would "save 25%" by ordering shoes, then spent twice the cost of the shoes returning them over and over until the right size was achieved.

For a half hour of your time (less time than is spent re-packaging and mailing) the right fit could be found at the local store.

Years of experience have taught me that far, far too many people are doing this.
Amazon is free.

But I understand the OPs frustration. I too meed to try several.

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Exactly...

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Another reason I only wear western boots. The company I order from sends them double boxed, and the inside box is labeled and paid for
return shipment. And I have never had to return any.
Tecovas!
If I wore western boots I would probably take a look at that. Kind of hard to run and hike trails in western boots though. ;)

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I know a guy with a couple of retail stores in Massachusetts on the North Shore. don't know where you're located but if I can help out let me know I'll send you a p.m.

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
well, I just ordered 5 pairs of different sizes from Amazon...free shipping back (however that works). Should have them in a week,,,so much for 2 day shipping. Why am I paying $120 a year again for prime ???

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know a guy with a couple of retail stores in Massachusetts on the North Shore. don't know where you're located but if I can help out let me know I'll send you a p.m.
Thanks for the offer...I just ordered some against my better judgement...five different sizes.

Buck Faker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
well, I just ordered 5 pairs of different sizes from Amazon...free shipping back (however that works). Should have them in a week,,,so much for 2 day shipping. Why am I paying $120 a year again for prime ???
And there you go, order multiple pairs and return the ones you don't want. Prime gets you all five pair delivered to your door for free and the ability to return all of them for free. Ffs, you’re complaining about waiting a week for delivery over a holiday weekend & w all thats going on?

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds funny but you might be able to get good(perhaps expensive) shoes from a podiatrist in your area. They have a vested interest in your prblem fee, and can help you find a good fit.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time you're in a store and find a pair that works for you, buy every pair they have of that shoe/sneaker. If they only have a few have them order more(or order more online), do that for every year for a few years and you'll have enough to last you the rest of your life.

Buck Faker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Next time you're in a store and find a pair that works for you, buy every pair they have of that shoe/sneaker. If they only have a few have them order more(or order more online), do that for every year for a few years and you'll have enough to last you the rest of your life.
I have two pair of my favorite dress/work shoes in reserve BNIB in my closet. I doubt I’ll ever wear a pair of dress pants or a button up shirt to the office again (or the shoes). Haven’t worn a shirt w buttons down the front since the lockdown (I normally wear dress pants/khakis & button down shirt, golf shorts sometimes in the summer). Have decided we’re never going back to fully staffed office 8:30-4:30 M-F. I know how much this lockdown has sucked for so many, but it has really shed a new light on how we’ll be operating going forward.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously, five different sizes of the same shoe? How different do you think the sizes are?

Buck Faker had the right answer.....when you find some you like buy extra and keep them in the closet.

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Seriously, five different sizes of the same shoe? How different do you think the sizes are?
Actually they can be quite different. The last pair I bought was a whole size different from the previous pair I was wearing at the time but both shoe pairs said 11.5. My feet did not change in size at all during that time. The guy I bought them from said that he has found that the same SKU within the same brand can fit differently. His theory was that they are made in different factories with slightly different lasts and that an 11.5 shoe is not the same 11.5 from factory to factory. Same thing when I buy jeans...same size, different brands, way different fit. Even trying on the same sizes in different brands, not all fit me. Go figure. Wrangler jeans tend to be fairly consistent in their sizing so that's usually what I buy and I usually buy 3-5 pair at a time.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must have extra sensitive feet. I've worn size 14 since I was 12. I have never ever bought a size 14 of any kind of shoe and not had it fit. Hundreds of shoes over 30 years and every single one fit. Lucky I guess.

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
NH shoe stores, atleAst a small local place, has been open....
yeah, the problem with the smaller stores is they don't have the size range and the brand/s I'm looking for. I have very flat feet and other foot issues, exacerbated by the flat feet and thousands of miles of foot pounding backpacking over the past 50 years.

Top Bottom