So bizarre...

My buddy just informed me he saw an LEO discharge a gun at something ( he could not see what) at a parking lot of a country club in newton about 4 hours ago... nothing in the news.

maybe a squirrel was stealing another squirrel's nuts....in newton. [smile][smile][smile]

My buddy just informed me he saw an LEO discharge a gun at something ( he could not see what) at a parking lot of a country club in newton about 4 hours ago... nothing in the news.

maybe a squirrel was stealing another squirrel's nuts....in newton. [smile][smile][smile]

Sounds like he shot a birdie...

Last edited:
He told the captain he was feeling antsy, he was instructed to blow off some steam at fidos expense out back

Target+Rescue+Dog.jpg

It could have been a rabid animal. It's happened in my neighborhood a couple of times over several years, and it was the regular police not the animal control officer.

Aren't you lucky? My father called his town police because a racoon was staggering across his front lawn at 2pm on a beautiful sunny July afternoon only to be told that they don't have animal control in his town and nothing could be done. Mind you, this was a heavily populated neighborhood, lots of kids on bikes, tied dogs, etc.

Aren't you lucky? My father called his town police because a racoon was staggering across his front lawn at 2pm on a beautiful sunny July afternoon only to be told that they don't have animal control in his town and nothing could be done. Mind you, this was a heavily populated neighborhood, lots of kids on bikes, tied dogs, etc.

It was just like that when it happened in my town and thank goodness they shot it. They just told all the kids to move a few houses down and then one of the officers shot it.

It was just like that when it happened in my town and thank goodness they shot it. They just told all the kids to move a few houses down and then one of the officers shot it.

Yea, in the same town when i was a little kid there was a no doubt rabid raccoon that I got to see a police officer (not animal control) blow away in my grandmother's back yard with a .38 ( i know it was a .38 because i was maybe 11 at the time and I asked.

I was pretty disgusted when my father told me that though, I understand being frustrated about the town maybe not appropriating funds towards animal control or whatever, but that seemed like a pretty apparent serious threat. (keep in mind it was a hot sunny july afternoon and it was literally staggering, undoubtedly rabid.) This was not a town or city where the cops are always rushing around either, it's a fairly rural town on the small size. I guess maybe my father should have told them the coon was carrying black AK clips.

Yea, in the same town when i was a little kid there was a no doubt rabid raccoon that I got to see a police officer (not animal control) blow away in my grandmother's back yard with a .38 ( i know it was a .38 because i was maybe 11 at the time and I asked.

I was pretty disgusted when my father told me that though, I understand being frustrated about the town maybe not appropriating funds towards animal control or whatever, but that seemed like a pretty apparent serious threat. (keep in mind it was a hot sunny july afternoon and it was literally staggering, undoubtedly rabid.) This was not a town or city where the cops are always rushing around either, it's a fairly rural town on the small size. I guess maybe my father should have told them the coon was carrying black AK clips.

LOL, I'm sure that would've been a three cruiser call. Seriously though, that is terrible. You think that they would've used some common sense and realized what a health threat it was. Too bad your father couldn't have pulled an "Atticus Finch".

LOL, I'm sure that would've been a three cruiser call. Seriously though, that is terrible. You think that they would've used some common sense and realized what a health threat it was. Too bad your father couldn't have pulled an "Atticus Finch".

I agree, but personally, if it was me, I don't think I would have shot it either. Not in MA. Asking for trouble. My father just called a few neighbors and knocked on doors of people in the area with little kids and told them to pass the info along.

When I was growing up the police got a call about a rabid raccoon, two houses down from us. Not sure it was rabid, but it clearly suffering. My father had gone back to the house to get a rifle, but by then the police had shown up. He assessed the situation and finally decided to retrieve his "animal control weapon" from the trunk. I remember it to this day because I asked my dad what an "animal control weapon" was. He kinda chuckled and said "it's a 22."

The officer loaded the rifle, pointed it at the dying raccoon, then changed his mind, stating he was concerned about ricochet since it was on the street. He unloaded the rifle, placed it in the open trunk, and processed to toss little rocks at the raccoon to try and convince it to hobble off the road. At this point my father took his Buck knife out of its holster on his belt, cut a small branch from a nearby tree, and used it to push the animal off the road. The officer then proceeded to reload the 22 rifle and shot at the raccoon, now barely moving at a range of about 14 feet. He missed. He finally hit the thing after 5 or 6 rounds, and appeared concerned with what to do next. I'm not sure if he was just scared to touch it or not. So again my dad stepped in, got a paper bag, and used the same stick to push it into the bag, and then deposited the bag in the officer's trunk. Everyone went home safe that day. :)

Back
Top Bottom