• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

SO-50

It's fun working the satellites. You should build or buy a directional antenna. You'll be able to work the satellite at lower angles and you'll have more time.

Was it very crowded? I used to work the birds a lot, just from my back yard with an HT and the Arrow hand held Yagi antenna. Sadly, all the easy to work FM birds are dead except for good ol' SO-50. I imagine it's a food-fight on that bird just because it's the only one left.

Chaser, what are you using for pass predictions? I used to use the AMSAT.org site's pass predictor, but it seems broken now.

Bob, I use an app on my phone called GOSATWATCH. Shows real time image of the satellite location and also incorporates gps and the iphone compass so you can hold the phone up to the sky and it will show you the location of the satellite. I never got around to it but my plan was to mount the phone on a Arrow antenna and use the combo to line everything up.

Was it very crowded? I used to work the birds a lot, just from my back yard with an HT and the Arrow hand held Yagi antenna. Sadly, all the easy to work FM birds are dead except for good ol' SO-50. I imagine it's a food-fight on that bird just because it's the only one left.

With just the whip I wasn't hold the signal very long but it did sound busy...people were courteous though; quick call sign and grid square, confirmation then 73s.

Chaser, what are you using for pass predictions? I used to use the AMSAT.org site's pass predictor, but it seems broken now.

I've been using n2yo and hamsatHD for my ipad. Satellite Predictions Passes for SAUDISAT 1C 2002-058C NORAD 27607

Back
Top Bottom