• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

snubby +p or standard pressure?

Carrying j-frames, always assumed loading a J-frame with a higher energy(+P) hollow point was best for self defense? Spoke with buffalo bore rep saying if a lower recoil and lessened muzzle blast(150 gr. standard pressure hard cast wad cutter, 158 gr. standard pressure SWC-HC) will do the job equally as well under the widest range of conditions, why not go with the load that is easier to shoot?

Speer has a line of Gold Dots designed specifically for short barrels.

speer.jpg

I use 125 gr remington golden saber .38+p. Try shooting some side by side. I hardly notice the difference in a steel frame snub. The airweight makes a difference but it's not huge. I would be willing to bet 150+ grain hardcase will though. Not my personal first choice, but give it a try. It's the only way to know for sure

Dr. Claude Werner is a big fan of the 148gr Wadcutters. I believe Michael DeBertencourt does as well. If these two experts like those rounds...

The argument for those rounds include the lack of expansion from a short barrel and reduced recoil/"blast". The Gold Dot is the preferred hollowpoint. I load my 637 with wadcutters and carry either Federal Nyclad or GD standard for reload on speed strips.

Carrying j-frames, always assumed loading a J-frame with a higher energy(+P) hollow point was best for self defense? Spoke with buffalo bore rep saying if a lower recoil and lessened muzzle blast(150 gr. standard pressure hard cast wad cutter, 158 gr. standard pressure SWC-HC) will do the job equally as well under the widest range of conditions, why not go with the load that is easier to shoot?

Ask to see the data. Most of these people including those touting wad cutters are using old myths and legends not new science.

The real old myth was a reverse loaded 148gr HB lead wadcutter but that was before the modern JHP was developed.

With the use of Ballistic jell and testing, the wound pattern of a GDHP designed for a 3" or less barrel seems to be the way to go as far as I have read over the years.

But I am not a self proclaimed expert

Thanks for the feedback, I currently use the Speer 135 gr. snubby round, never considered a heavier, standard pressure round.

Id say go +p... my s&w 360 pd is a .357 so you can do .38 .38+p and .357.

Its super light and i run the .357 magniums.. if ever action has an equal and opisite reaction, the .357 are worth using there pretty intense out of such a light gun, Even if you missed someone in the face or chest at close range, odds are they'd never hear or see the same again.

- - - Updated - - -

I use the ones kalash recommended.

You guys have me wondering now, are you not feeling a difference between +P and regular loads because the barrel is so short that the extra powder is burning after it has left the muzzle? I can feel plenty of difference between +P and regular loads out of my 3" barrel model 64, and that's a stainless steel, medium frame.

You guys have me wondering now, are you not feeling a difference between +P and regular loads because the barrel is so short that the extra powder is burning after it has left the muzzle? I can feel plenty of difference between +P and regular loads out of my 3" barrel model 64, and that's a stainless steel, medium frame.

Same, definitely feel the difference, but that does equate better results? Thinking about heavier, slower bullet, and will 2" be enough to get benefits of hollow point?

Last edited:
Not arguing about effectiveness, just curious about the couple of replies saying they don't, or hardly, notice much of a difference shooting +P vs. standard loads. I find it odd given my experiences and am wondering why it would be so.

Back
Top Bottom