• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Snubby Feedback

I'm thinking about rounding out the (real) small arms portfolio before moving on to something more glamerous, like the M1A.

Any feedback on the following 2 snub nose revolvers? My preference is .38 with DAO. From my research they appear to be the leaders of the pack (any other suggestions).

Ruger LCR

Ruger LCR.jpg

Smith & Wesson 642

Smith & Wesson 642.png

Last edited:
I give the LCR a slight edge on comfort, balance, and a bigger edge on smooth trigger. No difference in accuracy. I think it is really shooter preference, so shoot both before making a final decision.

Like the man said,they are both good guns it's all up to you. I am a little old school,and like the S&W 36 OR 60.

The S&W is smaller and has a better real world trigger. The Ruger trigger stacks very nicely. That is, you can take off almost all the pressure off the trigger and hold it right before the point where the hammer drops. This will make you more accurate at the range, but it's not how you're going to shoot the gun when it counts.

IMO, defensive revolvers should be fired in practice with one smooth fast pull. Develop the muscle memory so it's there when the adenine is pumping.

I have the 642 and love it. Has the old school look and you can add some extras like wood grips.

IMG_1715_zpse31641e8.jpg

I have a S&W 642 Airweight, but don't have the Ruger, so my comments will be limited to the former rather than a comparison.

The 642 is a great DAO carry gun with an enclosed hammer and nothing to catch on. In .38 special, the short grip can be a little snappy since your pinkie will likely slide under the grip rather than on it. In .357 mag it can be difficult to prevent the gun from twisting in your grip.

The sights are find for what they're intended - concealled carry, though I'd recommend either the night package, that adds a low-light front sight or some phosphorecent paint on the ramp. In the dark conditions you're most likely to use it, the stock matte gray with a red ramp tends to disappear.

Practice shooting it in both a standard weaver stance and a "tucked" stance with your elbow back, hand at mid rib level and support hand over the top of the frame (a close quarters defense stance that allows you to fire while protecting control of the gun)

I was in the market for a snubby 38 to replace my BG380. I was dead set on a LCR. The trigger and feel just felt better. I beleive the LCR's grip is a tad longer. Then I got to try a Sig P238! 238 won!

I have a smith and wesson model 60 in 38 spl -- IMO, I'd stick with smith.

That little Ruger is nice, and I've actually fired it - I just prefer the staineless for weight and recoil absorption.

I've got to be that guy...

I have a 642, but honestly it just gathers dust in my safe. I carry my Kahr PM9 instead. The PM9 is easier to shoot, as less perceived recoil, greater capacity, faster to reload, real sights, and it is smaller.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a smith and wesson model 60 in 38 spl -- IMO, I'd stick with smith.

That little Ruger is nice, and I've actually fired it - I just prefer the staineless for weight and recoil absorption.

The 60 certainly will give you less perceived recoil, but it is just way, way too heavy for me to pocket carry, which, IMHO, is the only purpose for this kind of gun. If you are going to carry on your belt, you can carry a gun that is far easier to shoot.

I have fired both, and I chose the Ruger LCR in .357. The extra weight (maybe 4oz) makes firing .38 Special comfortable and easy. Firing .357 is a little more punishing but doable. Overall, I found the LCR with the Hogue grips much easier to maintain grip throughout the firing sequence and was much less punishing than the airweight.

I was also considering the LCR vs J-frame, and I ended up going with the 649. For me, the added bonus of having options like Magnum loads and SA/DA with the shrouded hammer made it a winner over the others.

I had and carried a 642. Good carry gun but I hated shooting it. The only way it was remotely comfortable to shoot was when I replaced the grips with wrap arounds which made it a bit less concealable. I ended up giving up on it and going a Bodyguard. For other reasons I have all but given up on the BG and now have an LCR in 38. Its MUCH more comfortable to shoot and, in my opinion, even easier to carry than the 642 was. I'm an S&W guy but I'll pick the Ruger over the Airweights everyday.

IMO, your carry gun should be comfotable enough to shoot that you're happy to practice with it. The Airweights didn't do that for me.

I've got to be that guy...

I have a 642, but honestly it just gathers dust in my safe. I carry my Kahr PM9 instead. The PM9 is easier to shoot, as less perceived recoil, greater capacity, faster to reload, real sights, and it is smaller.

- - - Updated - - -

The 60 certainly will give you less perceived recoil, but it is just way, way too heavy for me to pocket carry, which, IMHO, is the only purpose for this kind of gun. If you are going to carry on your belt, you can carry a gun that is far easier to shoot.

HA HA - I hear you. I have a 229 which I LOVE (would never sell it) and was thinking seriously about buying a Shield, but really think a revolver (size wise) is a better option for me. I do alot of power walking (most often outside and many times in the dark) and think I would be more inclined to carry it. Plus, for home defense, I think it's a nice addiiton to the arsenal.

- - - Updated - - -

I had and carried a 642. Good carry gun but I hated shooting it. The only way it was remotely comfortable to shoot was when I replaced the grips with wrap arounds which made it a bit less concealable. I ended up giving up on it and going a Bodyguard. For other reasons I have all but given up on the BG and now have an LCR in 38. Its MUCH more comfortable to shoot and, in my opinion, even easier to carry than the 642 was. I'm an S&W guy but I'll pick the Ruger over the Airweights everyday.

IMO, your carry gun should be comfotable enough to shoot that you're happy to practice with it. The Airweights didn't do that for me.

That's how I'm leaning. Thanks.

I love my 642 for a pocket carry gun. I tend to wear a compact semi-auto for the most part but the 642 is a great alternative for certain occasions.

HA HA - I hear you. I have a 229 which I LOVE (would never sell it) and was thinking seriously about buying a Shield, but really think a revolver (size wise) is a better option for me. I do alot of power walking (most often outside and many times in the dark) and think I would be more inclined to carry it. Plus, for home defense, I think it's a nice addiiton to the arsenal..

A PM9 is smaller than a 642 so I don't see why you would be less inclined to carry a PM9 than a 642.

As for home defense, I don't understand at all why you would use a snubbie for home defense when you have a SIG P229. The 229 has far greater capacity, less recoil, longer sight radius, real sights, etc.

If you want a snubbie then go ahead and buy a snubbie. I'm just suggesting that you reconsider a pocket semi-auto, because they have significant advantages over a snubbie.

A PM9 is smaller than a 642 so I don't see why you would be less inclined to carry a PM9 than a 642.

As for home defense, I don't understand at all why you would use a snubbie for home defense when you have a SIG P229. The 229 has far greater capacity, less recoil, longer sight radius, real sights, etc.

If you want a snubbie then go ahead and buy a snubbie. I'm just suggesting that you reconsider a pocket semi-auto, because they have significant advantages over a snubbie.

I agree with you wrt home defense if size and weight are non factors, use the biggest thing you can handle..

But a snubbie can and does have significant advantages over an auto as well. They are just different animals, both have strengths and limitations..

I was in the market for a snubby 38 to replace my BG380. I was dead set on a LCR. The trigger and feel just felt better. I beleive the LCR's grip is a tad longer. Then I got to try a Sig P238! 238 won!

P238 is my summer carry, but I don't think 380 rnd is good choice for penetration through multiple layers of winter clothing.
I used to carry 642, but switched to LCR for wintertime. They are both safe, reliable, small, and powerful choices.

I'm just feeling my way (so be gentle). lol. The 229 would definitely be/is the home defense (handgun) of choice. The interest in the revolver is size for carrying during workouts (outside). And, I guess, it's a diversity thing - wanting to get well versed in alternative types of platforms. But good suggestion as to looking further at pocket semi's.

Just found this:

RugerLCR-KahrPM9comparison-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm just feeling my way (so be gentle). lol. The 229 would definitely be/is the home defense (handgun) of choice. The interest in the revolver is size for carrying during workouts (outside). And, I guess, it's a diversity thing - wanting to get well versed in alternative types of platforms. But good suggestion as to looking further at pocket semi's.

Just found this:

RugerLCR-KahrPM9comparison-1.jpg

Looking at specs is always tough...

IMO.. The weight is a huge consideration. But also, to me, the snub being much more rounded and less block like, makes it somehow easier to carry. And the varying widths somehow makes iwb feel more organic and less like carry a brick or 2lbs of metal.

When was the last time you heard of a stove pipe on a snub?? And if ever there is a FTF issues, just pull the trigger again (much more intuitive under any stress)...

Last edited:
IMO.. The weight is a huge consideration. But also, to me, the snub being much more rounded and less block like, makes it somehow easier to carry. And the varying widths somehow makes iwb feel more organic and less like carry a brick or 2lbs of metal.

Both the 642 and PM9 weigh 16 oz. No difference there.

For pocket carry, the snub is significantly thicker, due to the cylinder. So it prints more than the PM9, in my experience. As for IWB, these are pocket guns. If you are carrying IWB you can carry a bigger gun that is one heck of a lot easier to shoot.

- - - Updated - - -

The interest in the revolver is size for carrying during workouts (outside).

So? Why do you think the 642 would be easier to carry during workouts than the PM9? Both weigh the same and the PM9 is smaller.

If you just want the 642 because it gives you warm and fuzzy feelings, go for it. But I don't follow your reasoning.

Both the 642 and PM9 weigh 16 oz. No difference there.

For pocket carry, the snub is significantly thicker, due to the cylinder. So it prints more than the PM9, in my experience. As for IWB, these are pocket guns. If you are carrying IWB you can carry a bigger gun that is one heck of a lot easier to shoot.

Everybody is different, and pocket/ iwb/ belly band/ etc. All depends on that person's size, clothing personal taste. I find that, for me, the J carries more easily and more comfortably due to it non squared everything..

And I think if you put the two face on, the J will be thinner except for the cylinder, and maybe the grips (depending on what is on it).

Looking at specs is always tough...

When was the last time you heard of a stove pipe on a snub?? And if ever there is a FTF issues, just pull the trigger again (much more intuitive under any stress)...

I agree. They say the round shape prints less also.

I have read that the trend to go for pistols as a bug hit a rise and now LEO's are going back to the revolver. If you are sticking it in someones ribs or shooting out of you pocket you don't risk it not shooting.

And I think if you put the two face on, the J will be thinner except for the cylinder, and maybe the grips (depending on what is on it).

So, it's thinner except for where it's not? [wink]

I've got both the 642 and PM9. In my experience, the PM9 conceals better for pocket carry.

Back
Top Bottom