Snubbies! Show me some pics of your snubnose revolvers.

good..... both your guns if I'm not mistaken would be called post war transitional military and police.
made between 1946-48

1965 Colt Cobra, never fired. Its my friends. Nice example of this revolver.
adyde3y3.jpg
3yja2ase.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

His and hers>>> sp101 2 1/4 in bobbed hammer .357 mag and s and w 642 performance center in .38+p

0619132045.jpg

What's the latch like on the Ruger? Does the cylinders pin put a wear mark in the frame like the 642?

I like the latch on the ruger much better than the smith.....it is in a natural position and just pushes in to release nice and smooth. The trigger is MUCH better on the smith though. And there is a wear ring (aka turn line)on the cylinder on both the smith and the ruger. Overall I prefer to shoot the ruger sp101 over the 642 because I find the sights much better and ......well......it shoot 357 mag! I carry Remington golden sabers in it! Wife carries corbon 125 grain +p in the 642. Both are outstanding fire arms.....in their own way!

Last edited:
How so?? Can you cite?

It is generally accepted on the SW forum, that any model numbered (1958 and after) SW revolver is ok for +P... it is without a doubt ok in a Stainless steel version as these are considered definitely 'modern'. 1975 is not that long ago and there was indeed +p at that time (or at least equivalent loads).

The SW manual mentions k frame, but I know j frames fall under the same class but I just can't find documentation for it right now. I'll keep looking.

Here is what S&W says about +P ammo in their 38 specials according to their online manual.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/other/S&W_Revolver_Manual_08-15-2013.pdf

Plus-P” (+P) ammunition generates pressures in excess of the pressures
associated with standard ammunition. Such pressures may affect
the wear characteristics or exceed the margin of safety built into some
revolvers and could therefore be DANGEROUS. This ammunition
should not be used in Smith & Wesson medium (K frame) revolvers
manufactured prior to 1958. Such pre-1958 medium (K-frame) revolvers
can be identified by the absence of a model number stamped inside the
yoke cut of the frame (i.e., the area of the frame exposed when the
cylinder is in the open position).

“Plus-P-Plus (+P+) ammunition must not be used in Smith & Wesson
firearms. This marking on the ammunition designates that it exceeds
established industry standards, but the designation does not represent
defined pressure limits and therefore such ammunition may vary significantly
as to the pressures generated.

S&W has been heat treating cylinders at least since 1930. Also, today's plus P ammo is what standard pressure was back before 1972.

Here's a good link from a well known member on the S&W forum. He has done a lot of research and is knowledgeable on this subject.

Shooting with Hobie

I thought I read something about +p's being too much for a short barrel and velocity is just wasted. Doesn't seem it after shooting a few dozen rounds. 138 grain loads are good enough for me.

Kind of crude pix, but hey...

S&W Mod 60 with a set of Bianchi Lightning grips (and Michael deBethencourt, if you're reading this, you still can't have them.)
20130930_211308_zpsb3d124bb.jpg

Kramer holster.
20130930_211457_zpsf2c815e5.jpg

I no longer have the manual, but I'm pretty sure my Model 38 Bodyguard airweight (bought it new in '93) is not approved for +p. Of course, it's not a steel frame.

Not sure how they were loading +p ammo in 1993 vs today.

Back
Top Bottom