• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Snubbie suggestion

I'm still deciding if I want the 38 or 357. I have owned both I was accurate with the 357 even though that sucker hurt. I just can't seem to find a used one at all and don't have enough for a brand new one. And I have enough for a 38 but feel like I would kick myself if I didn't just go 357. Anyone know the size differences? Not weight but size. I have a holster for the 38 that's kydex and I'm wondering if it will fit or is the cylinder to big and if anyone knows someone with a 357 they wana offload

Have you considered practice? I shoot the gun that I carry a minimum of twice a week Those light weight j frames are no fun to shoot.

How are you going to carry it? If you are going to pocket carry, then get a .38. Shooting .357 out of a light Airweight just hurts. Many people who buy light .357s end up just shooting .38s because of the pain - the could have saved a bunch of money by buying a S&W 642 in the first place.

If you are going to belt carry, then skip the snubnose entirely and get a 4" gun.

Off topic: when i read this title, I thought it said "snuggle advice" [rofl2]

On topic: I carry a 9mm, but occassionally I'll carry a .44spl. It sucks to carry because the wheel is too fat for summer clothes, but works fine during the colder months.

I'm going to appendix carry it. I know it's lighter. I have had both and yea the 38+p out of the 38 hurt a little but if I Gona get one I feel like I should just go 357 lol

I'm going to appendix carry it. I know it's lighter. I have had both and yea the 38+p out of the 38 hurt a little but if I Gona get one I feel like I should just go 357 lol

. 357 out of a J-frame hurts a lot. Most people who buy the lightweight 357s put one cylinder of .357 through it and never do it again. Then they wasted several hundred dollars as they could have gotten a S&W 642 for a lot less.

Lightweight 357s just convert dollars into pain. Save your money and your hand. You'll end up shooting 38 Spcl through it any ways, so you might as well start where you will end up, with a 38.

. 357 out of a J-frame hurts a lot. Most people who buy the lightweight 357s put one cylinder of .357 through it and never do it again. Then they wasted several hundred dollars as they could have gotten a S&W 642 for a lot less.

Lightweight 357s just convert dollars into pain. Save your money and your hand. You'll end up shooting 38 Spcl through it any ways, so you might as well start where you will end up, with a 38.
Agreed with one exception: the LCR is heavier in 357 than 38 so shooting 38s is a bit more pleasant out of the heavier 357 gun.

Agreed with one exception: the LCR is heavier in 357 than 38 so shooting 38s is a bit more pleasant out of the heavier 357 gun.

I haven't shot the LCR.

In the S&W line, the aluminum .38 Spcl 642 weighs about 15 oz.

The scandium .357 air weights are 2-3 ounces lighter and a couple hundred dollars more expensive. Extra dollars for more pain. No thanks.

I've got a stainless steel Model 60 with a 3" barrel. That is also a J-frame, but a lot heavier. And it still isn't any fun to shoot .357 magnums.

I won't shoot .357 magnums through anything smaller than a steel K-frame.

M&P 340 357 magnum is in my opinion the best snubby on the market. I shoot clover leaves with horniday critical defense 125 grain. Apex trigger kit is a must!

There really is only one real choice. The Ruger LCR.

Its trigger feels like a J frame S&W that has had $300 worth of work done to it. It is simply the most shootable small snub nosed revolver that you can buy. The trigger makes the gun.

Re the 340 PD. I have owned one of these for about 12 years. (I won it at a raffle at the S&W Winter Nationals). It is an amazing piece of engineering. But I almost never shoot it in .357.

I am not recoil shy. I would rather shoot an 8" .500 S&W magnum than the 340 with full boat .357 loads.

Also, if you research muzzle velocity, you would be amazed how low it is for all that flash, bang, and ouch. The tiny barrel really doesn't give most .357 loadings room to get up to speed.

Back when the 340 came out, S&W offered a 342. It was an aluminum frame gun, like the 340 (but without the scandium alloying) and it also had a Ti cylinder with a stainless barrel liner pressed into an aluminum barrel.

It was even lighter than the 340. I believe the 340 is about 12 ounces and the 342 was about 10.5 ounces. Either way, if you want the lightest S&W J frame you can buy, a used 342 is your answer.

Last edited:
Finally got my lcr38 today from an NES member. Was already heading to my friend's range in NH tomorrow so I packed it in with everything else. Hopefully was worth the wait. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom