• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Snubbie suggestion

My all time carry guns for years was either a S&W snubbie or a Colt Officer 1911 .45acp. I've been carrying a snubbie since 1974 and always felt comfortable with it. I like the feel and weight and got pretty good with it if I must say. Bought the 642 when they first came out and it sports a lot of character due to the wear on the finish.

Last year I picked up the GLOCK 43 and usually appendix carry it, a Kydex holster at 3:00 or in the pants pocket. It's a nice pistol and recommend it if your other carry gun is a GLOCK too.

A few years back I took a snubbie class with Bethencourt and then an old police chief at a conference and got a lot of good pointers which included shooting out of your coat pockets. I can say I never felt out gunned with it just make sure you have some extra speed loaders or speed sticks with you.

Last edited:
Hi MSant-

Hope all is well for you and yours. I won't be at the Excruciathlon shooter/mudder event but plan to go to the next NES shoot. Hope to see you there!

Just my humble opinion, but +1 for the Ruger LCR. All I can say is dry fire the other ones that have your interest, then try a LCR.

LCR in 38+P with a ruger boot grip.
http://shopruger.com/Hogue-LCR-Bantam_Boot-Grip/productinfo/19927/

total win. I love mine and will NEVER sell it.

i also prefer 38 model. To me major reason to go w the 357 is the added weight makes shooting 38 even easier. The 357 itself to me is nuts for a tiny revolver.

exactly why i said go with the .357. you can always shoot the .38 & +p's, but if you find it a bit lame after 4-500 rounds you can load the big brothers. wish i had gone that way, but i was a newbie and didn't know better.

that said, like squib308, i will never sell/trade my lcr .38. my first-born carry, even though i rarely use it now.

Last edited:
Any S&W .38 with a model number stamped in the frame is good to go with +P ammo. Your old Model 36 won't explode. A steady diet of it will loosen up a J-frame, but at $1/pop you'll go broke first.

Save yourself some money like stated here what you have is just fine.

Mountain, good to hear from you. All is great on this end, hope all is well for you.
I will not be at the excruciathalon either. I tend to stick to the car and pumpkin shoots, which I will be at.
Thats what I am thinking, as far as dry firing. I handled and lcr and was in impressed. My lawyer has a 642 and the trigger leaves a lot to be desired. I will feel odd buying a mass available gun, when I can now get anything though.
Patron, good advice, but I feel the need for more

As much as a few people are saying get the .357, I'd stick with the .38+p for the weight difference. I think you lose some of the attractiveness with the beefier, heavier model.

You could get the .357 and use .38 +p -- then you'd always have the option of using .357 ?

We should have an NES snubnose revolver range day where we try out each other's guns. These are just a few that I'd been itching to try:

Chiappa Rhino
Colt Detective Special
[STRIKE=Colt]Colt[/STRIKE] S&W Chief's Special
Colt Python
Ruger SP101
S&W 640
S&W 19
S&W 442/642

Last edited:
I love my 642. It feels like shooting a 9 except out of the palm of your hand. its my first gun, along with a 22. But I don't care, I can already tell I will never ever get rid of it. Now if I wasn't a sissy I would actually start carrying it.

Love my LCR in 357. Replaced an M&P 40c and will never go back. 4 inch group at 50 feet out of a snubbie. Works for me. Works as a pocket carry in some pants, but not others. Got a Galco ankle holster but haven't tried that out yet. Very light to wear IWB as well when I go hiking. I shoot it better than the model 60 pro or SP101.

I carry ruger lcr 38 and love it. The factory front sight isn't very good but there are great after market options. I'm not sure if you can swap out sw front sights.

Back
Top Bottom