• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Snubbie accuracy

Snubbies are quite accurate however, the short sight radius and triggers make them difficult to shoot. Master those and you will be amazed what they will do

Couldn't agree more.
The only thing I practice with is my 642. Any courses or days out are spent with it since it is my carry.
If I take my time and exercise a little patience, the shots go where I like.
The trigger really should be lightened as it is a pretty heavy pull for a small gun.
One thing I've found, with some practice, you can pull the trigger roughly 2/3 of the way back and it will rest slightly after the cylinder has rotated. I can then recheck my aim and finish the pull with less travel distance for the trigger and less energy to get it back. It is almost like shooting in single-action at that point.
The other thing that helped was something that is highly recommended AGAINST but has helped a lot: I take the index finger og the off-hand and put it over the front of the trigger guard. BUT JUST TO REPPEAT: I highly recommend against this for any other gun. I have found this helps reduce the barrel wag. Especially, when I am just pulling the trigger to let the shots fly.

I am sure there are guys here who would make me look like a Maplethorpe compared to their Picasso with the snubbie.

I'll take any tips they have.

MIKE ALPHA
"Does anyone use the Crimson Trace laser grips on their snubs? "
Yes, I do I'll have CT's of one form or another on all my wheel guns before it's over with. They are a great add on for the little pistols. It's not like you have to remove the iron sights, you just replace the grip pannels. They are real accurate little pistols if you do your part. With the laser grips you can damn near make the bullet holes touch.
smitty

MIKE ALPHA
"Does anyone use the Crimson Trace laser grips on their snubs? "
Yes, I do I'll have CT's of one form or another on all my wheel guns before it's over with. They are a great add on for the little pistols. It's not like you have to remove the iron sights, you just replace the grip pannels. They are real accurate little pistols if you do your part. With the laser grips you can damn near make the bullet holes touch.
smitty

I agree... I want some good "combat grips" on them, though - and I hear the CT models are nice in that regard as well. I used laser sights in the military and know the benefits (and drawbacks) of them pretty well.

Revolvers are more mysterious to me, though, as I had little experience with wheel guns in the military, and I'm going to try out the CT grips on a small snub-nose the first chance I get. I love the simplicity and reliability factors of revolvers for "normal life" concealed carry.

Can anyone answer me this - which snubs are TRULY MA Compliant, in that a CITIZEN can actually purchase the model? (I recently came across some BS where I couldn't order a Smith and Wesson Night Guard, due to the fact that it wasn't approved by the "AG's List," even that it was "MA compliant.")

Last edited:
When I was assigned to Embassy duty in the Marines, I had to qualify with the standard State Dept issued SW M19, which happened to be a 2 1/2 inch snubbie.

When would you be issued an SW M19? Seems like a damn small gun for most marine security guards to carry - if you were a guard that is. (And I mean no offense by the term "security guard"; I was one in the USAF.)

I know you guys had to qualify with shotguns and MP5s, if I'm not mistaken

Back
Top Bottom