Snub nose revolver help

Do you think that if I brought my pistol to my friendly neighborhood gun shop, that they can do this type of modification? I watched the video and it looks like I would have to buy some specialized tools to do this work and truthfully I would rather let someone who has the tools and know how to do it.

You can check with Remsport in Ludlow they used to do Apex kits.

Do you think that if I brought my pistol to my friendly neighborhood gun shop, that they can do this type of modification? I watched the video and it looks like I would have to buy some specialized tools to do this work and truthfully I would rather let someone who has the tools and know how to do it.

No, take it to a good gunsmith. Doug at Swift River Gunworks can probably do it. It isn't hard -- I've done three J-frame trigger jobs myself and I'm a goonsmith, not a gunsmith.

But you don't want someone to bugger up the side cover because they don't know to tap the frame to get it off.

http://www.sr-gunworks.com/

Doug is in Belchertown.

Last edited:
I'm a woman too, and I carry a J-frame 638, I try to practice with it twice a month. I shoot at 25 feet, usually 2 boxes of .38spl 125 or 130gr ammo. I can get most of the shots into the bullseye. I've found that the lower grain ammo is key to enjoyable shooting with the snubby. I have medical issues with my right arm, but the lower grain ammo doesn't hurt at all.

Dark Horse Gunsmiths in South Hadley does good work, too. The scandium snubbies are great for carry, but painful for practice. As others have said, think about finding something a little heavier in .38/.357 or maybe even in .22 to work on your skills. There used to be old police-issued .38s in every gun shop, but not so much any more.

In a barrel that short is there any real difference in terminal ballistics between .357 and .38spl+P?

Serious question.

Yes. 10%+

Velocities are based on 10-shot strings of fire about 10′ from the chronograph screens.
Ammunition Average Velocity (ft/sec):
Federal .38 Special 129-grain Hydrashok +P: 846 ft/sec
Winchester .38 Special 158-grain LSWCHP +P: 858 ft/sec
Remington .357 Magnum 125-grain SJHP (Full-house load): 1243 ft/sec
Handload: Rucker 158-grain CSWC: 1100 ft/sec

Notes:
7.0 grains Unique
Winchester Small Pistol Primer
Starline Case

Dark Horse Gunsmiths in South Hadley does good work, too. The scandium snubbies are great for carry, but painful for practice. As others have said, think about finding something a little heavier in .38/.357 or maybe even in .22 to work on your skills. There used to be old police-issued .38s in every gun shop, but not so much any more.

I think a takeaway I am getting from all of this is 2 things:

1). trigger job for the snubby.
2). Find myself a nice .22 revolver to practice with. I would want another revolver since I feel that's closest to a defensive weapon.

No wonder this is such an expensive sport to get into :p

This....I don't think you get much advantage out of shooting a .357 down a smaller pipe. What you do get is a lot of flash, flip and sore hands.

My go to carry piece is a 686. in 4". Yeah. I know, way too big, way too cumbersome....but the frame weight makes the recoil of even the hottest loads manageable and keeps me on target for follow ups. If I was to go to a snub again, I'd buy my ancient model 60 back - .38spl only and let me tell you, it was plenty powerful and accurate.

I still carry Hornady's critical defense in .38spl for my 686 - with 2 speedloaders of 185gr black hills JHP .357 in tow.

My advice is to forget about .357 magnum ammo altogether. Don't ever put it in your gun again, ever. Get yourself some .38 special 125gr JHP +P or 158gr JHP +P ammo and call it plenty good enough. Next, get yourself a set of Crimson Trace Lasergrips. They make 2 or 3 models for your revo. If you plan to concealed carry, I recommend the cheaper, hard plastic grips. They won't pull or drag on your clothing. The more expensive grips make for more comfortable shooting, but when carrying
under clothing they tend to
pull or drag and that makes for printing, which you don't want. Don't really worry about this because the gun is meant to be carried a lot, but shot very little. Once you put the lasergrips on and shoot another 25-50 rounds to practice with it you are pretty much done shooting that gun. It's a carry gun, not a range gun. It's meant for distances out to about 25 feet, to save your life. You shouldn't be shooting in a self defense scenario at anything 50 feet away so don't worry about it too much. If you want to do a lot of shooting/practice, get yourself a bigger, heavier revolver and shoot that. The mechanics are the same so your skills will improve without beating yourself up.

Enjoy
-Cuz

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner instead of Tapatalk.

- - - Updated - - -

if ever any doubt, don't do it yourself! your ass depends on that weapon for life and limb - don't let your unskilled limbs compromise either.

Yes. 10%+

Velocities are based on 10-shot strings of fire about 10′ from the chronograph screens.

Notes:
7.0 grains Unique
Starline Case

Outstanding. Thank you sir.

I think a takeaway I am getting from all of this is 2 things:

1). trigger job for the snubby.
2). Find myself a nice .22 revolver to practice with. I would want another revolver since I feel that's closest to a defensive weapon.

No wonder this is such an expensive sport to get into :p

If you are considering a 22, check out the model 351c or 351pd. They are 22mag, a round that is also more than capable of being a self defense round. You may like carrying it in the future. That platform is basically the same as your 340 in size and dimensions, just a different round and probably the lightest J-frame made.. I don't carry mine often, but when I do.. I feel pretty confident..

if ever any doubt, don't do it yourself! your ass depends on that weapon for life and limb - don't let your unskilled limbs compromise either.

It's really not that hard. You need some properly sized screwdrivers and a Kuhnhausen book helps. Some extra fine grit sandpaper. A set of lighter springs. A rebound spring tool helps, but even with that getting the rebound spring back in place is a PITA.

It may not make sense to get the required tools if you've only got one j-frame to do. But it isn't all that hard to do it yourself. I did three and I'm not that mechanically inclined.

If you are having a gunsmith do the trigger job, also have him chamfer the charge holes. That is cheap and will make it easier to reload quickly.

Try some padded shooting gloves like these for practice. I'm not endorsing this particular glove, so do your shopping: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1125191321/past-professional-shooting-gloves-fingerless-leather

Finally, look into getting a trigger job. There's almost nothing good about a stock j-frame trigger.

I just wanted to give you a personal shout out :) I was in the new Cabela's and picked up a pair of shooters gloves and that did the trick. My little snubby went from a handful to comfortable with just gloves and nothing else. In fact if anything I was able to improve my accuracy since I did 2 things: I didn't spend too long pulling the trigger, and with the gloves I feel I had a greater control. In actuality I could have blown through the 50 rounds of ammo I had with me. The only thing that stopped me from doing that was that today I finally got to shoot my M&P 15 and all I can say is wow, what an awesome rifle. Now I know what people love about AR15's. I think I may actually have found something that is truly fantastic. I had a blast shooting up some pumpkins today and even plinked a little with the handgun (at 50 yards no less) and left the range with no pain or anything. I think before I spend any money on another handgun I would rather do a trigger job on the 340 and then try it again. I can honestly say that either the stars were all lined up and it was a good day for me, or I finally enjoyed myself :) In any case, you have my thanks!

I just wanted to give you a personal shout out :) I was in the new Cabela's and picked up a pair of shooters gloves and that did the trick. I can honestly say that either the stars were all lined up and it was a good day for me, or I finally enjoyed myself :) In any case, you have my thanks!

Your very welcome! Glad I could help. You're on your way now...no turning back! [thumbsup]

I would ask the shop that sold you the piece if they can install the Apex kit. Whoever does it ask them for your old springs back in the small zip-pouch the kits come in.
I do my own installs and put the serial no. on the Apex card in the pouch. Insist on the Apex Kit, I've tried the Wolff Springs and they are not as good.

Best of luck.
~Matt

Not to belabor the thread, but a snubbie... I don't look at the sights, it's a point and shoot 10 yard gun to get you to your rifle. I love revolvers, and a snubbie is a great pocket or holster weapon. Besides, if you ever are in danger you will not feel the 357 recoil but hopefully the dangerous animal attacking you will...

Enjoy shooting!

. Besides, if you ever are in danger you will not feel the 357 recoil but hopefully the dangerous animal attacking you will...!

To be accurate with a handgun, particularly one as hard to shoot as a snubbie, you have to practice with it. You have to practice with a lot. And you darn well will feel the .357 recoil while you practice. And if your gun hurts to shoot, you won't practice with it very much.

You could try a padded fingerless shooting glove.

That's what I ended up opting for and they seem to work very well. I want to get to the range this weekend and try them some more but unfortunately I have to work and Fast and Furious 7 is coming out :) I know my priorities are out of whack lol.

FWIW- Before making any mods to your snubbie I recommend taking the snub revolver class with Michael de Bethancourt.

http://snubtraining.com/

I took the course years ago, and recall that he spoke about modifications,
and the implications of various mods. Plus we learned how to overcome the
snubbies inherent shortcomings, and how to capitalize on a snubbie's advantages
..some apparent.. some not so apparent.

IMHO the course is well worth the time.

To be accurate with a handgun, particularly one as hard to shoot as a snubbie, you have to practice with it. You have to practice with a lot. And you darn well will feel the .357 recoil while you practice. And if your gun hurts to shoot, you won't practice with it very much.

Ah well my mistake I must be an exception to the rule, a snubbie lightweight 357 was my third gun after 2 9mm... Took to it like a fish to water. Shot it maybe 100 times and was proffficent to 12 yards. My advice stands, vettegirl, load her up with 357 and carry with confidence!

Ah well my mistake I must be an exception to the rule, a snubbie lightweight 357 was my third gun after 2 9mm... Took to it like a fish to water. Shot it maybe 100 times and was proffficent to 12 yards. My advice stands, vettegirl, load her up with 357 and carry with confidence!
If you are not shooting it regularly, then you're not proficient with it, IMO. 100 rounds through any particular gun isn't enough IMO.

That's what I ended up opting for and they seem to work very well. I want to get to the range this weekend and try them some more but unfortunately I have to work and Fast and Furious 7 is coming out :) I know my priorities are out of whack lol.

The glove really tamed down my 4 3/4" Freedom Arms .454 to manageable. Its a beast without the glove. It should work wonders for your snubby.

I got Pachmayr grips for my Ruger Speed Six because without them the metal backstrap would slam into the bone in the base of my thumb and hurt like a mofo.

If you are not shooting it regularly, then you're not proficient with it, IMO. 100 rounds through any particular gun isn't enough IMO.

I would agree, except I don't. I will take a 3 inch group after 100 rounds than a 2 inch group after 1000. Saves time, money.

vettegirl, your weapon choice is excellent. I am sure that all this wise advice pouring in is well intended, but hit your target in a 6 inch group and unless you are retired and have nothing better to do, you are gtg for defense. If you have time on your hands, then ya it's fun to get those sub moa groups but really do you are about that?,

So, just wear shooting gloves all the time I guess?

Also, carrying a gun with loads you can't handle in practice, in the hope that under stress you will be able to manage the recoil, is not wise. Under real-life stress your ability to mitigate recoil and get off accurate follow up shots will be reduced, not enhanced.

It's a cool revolver (I own one), but it has sone characteristics that make it a sub-optimal choice for a new shooter:

- very heavy, long trigger pull
-very short sight radius
-very strong recoil (with .357s)

Although I have many comments I could make on this thread, I will add one.

Find a pair of grips that fit your hand first and your use second. If you would like any more info or help, contact me.

Yes. 10%+

Notes:
7.0 grains Unique
Starline Case

So with a snubby at close range ( less than 30 feet) do you think the benefit of .357 over +p .38 is worth it? Noticeable difference in performance?

So with a snubby at close range ( less than 30 feet) do you think the benefit of .357 over +p .38 is worth it? Noticeable difference in performance?

Worth it? If you're proficient with .357, and comfortable using it, sure.

Noticeable difference in performance? Yes, superior ballistics, even in a short barrel.

That said, don't discount .38+P. It's a formidable round.

Back
Top Bottom