Snub nose Marksmanship

Dave6

Banned
I have a 2 inch snub nose revolver and I have been using it at a 10-15 yard shooting course and I have been doing pretty good with it hitting target.
I just tried it at a 50 yard line and had more of a struggle. Still made it on target 30 -40 percent of the time but had more of a struggle. It was a windy day on top of it.
Should I expect the same performance from a snub nose as I would from a 4- 6 inch barrel?

Jerry can do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerry can do it.

Alright how about this. How far away can I fire a snub nose and reasonably be on target. And I am of course no Olympic level marksman like Jerry. This man in his life time has fired millions of rounds at the range. It would take me two or three life times to be like him of course. I can handle 15 yards and I am starting to get a handle on 50 yards. just wondering how far i can take it and should I expect to struggle at a 50 plus yard line or is it becaue i am a newbie

Last edited by a moderator:
Only you can determine the distance you can maintain accuracy at, but my hat's off to you beyond 75 yards with a snubbie. That's where I can't even hit the paper.
The roscoe you chose will have much do do with it as will the ammo, your eyesight, wind...

It can be done. I think you can do it.

Best,
~Matt

It's not designed for "long distance", just like a target gun is not designed for CC.

the only answer is: are you happy with its performance? If it's a personal protection gun, do you think that you'll be engaging targets at 50 yards? 25 yards? 7 yards? Up close and personal? That's were you need to have acceptable (for you) accuracy.

MY bet is your going to smell the bad guys rancid breath when you Belly Bust him with that .38..forget about beyond ten yards..I have a S&W 442 I carry in my coat pocket and have shot in a IDPA side match with it , hitting anything smaller than a 8 "pie plate at 25 yds. is hit and miss.

Dave, becoming proficient with any and all guns you own can only have a positive outcome...

Manage your expectations, the sights on a snub nose are meant for quick ballpark body mass acquisition. Pick up a 5 inch barrel gp100 and you'll be amazed how much your accuracy increases. Don't get discouraged that your not like the you tube guys, I'm impressed that your attempting long distance shots with a snub nose, that's a challenge...

Steve

Honestly, I'd be perfectly satisfied hitting a regular sheet of paper with my snubnose at 25 yards. Chances are you'll never have to go anywhere near that distance in a self-defense situation and if you do, well, you should've brought a bigger gun [smile]

No. You can not expect the same performance from a 2" that you do from a 4" or 6". The 2" can be shot accurately at long distance but it requires more practice. It also produces less velocity. I'm working my way down starting with a 6" revolver shooting at a 10" plate at 100 yards. I've made it down to a 2 1/2" revolver and I'll try a 1 7/8" next. It's difficult because the snubbies are very unforgiving but it is possible with lots of practice.

What are the sights like on it? If it just has a plain ramp front and rear notch, you can dress them up a bit with a base layer of appliance paint and green or red paint over the ramp, just don't go down too far on the ramp as it will exaggerate the tendency to shoot high. Mark the rear notch with a fine point black sharpie and you will be surprised at what a difference it makes.

I have never tried my snubs at past 25 yards. Hats off to you for even trying. 10 yards is where i practice with my snub nose carry guns. Im comfotable with that as imo they are designed for bad breath distance

We shoot a 3 inch barrel or less shoot every year at my club and you would be surprised at how well they can shoot . We shoot at 25 and 50 feet .

You might not have a life time to shoot as many rounds as Jerry but you have a lot of info available to you to help you along. Balistic calculators will help you determine your hold over. Of course you need to know your muzzle velocity. I think Jerry could get most anyone with some good fundamentals hitting paper @ some distances . Using the impacts on the berm I can get enough hits on clay targets to be fun
My best so far with my cz82 is 6 in a row at 100 yards. Using PPU hollow points. Crony test has a,average of 1017fps.
Just to hit the SR 1 target I was using I had to hold a touch over the target frame and the drop was about 12-15" I was lucky enough to shoot at 200 yards and I had to aim what felt like 4' above the target to hit the 50" SR target 3 out of 10 after finding the hold. All 3 where low 5ring left 7 ring right and just out of the 5 ring center....
Its fun and something you have to really practice if you want anything more than some lucky misses like me. Now forget windy! The range I shoot is well sheltered.

Last edited:
You wouldn't walk out the door and run a marathon with out working up to it. Start at a distance that you are comfortable with and get your groups tight. Next step it out a few more yards and do the same thing. Get your groups nice and tight and to the point that you are comfortable. Push out a few more yards and do it again.

Each time you go to the range start at a closer distance than you ended with the last time. Fire a few rounds, move out further, fire a few rounds, move out further and so on. If you just start at the distance you were shooting at last time you were at the range you will struggle and get frustrated. Starting at a closer distance will help build your confidence.

Regardless of the distance that you are shooting the basics are the same. Stance, grip, sight picture, breath control, trigger squeeze.

I'm sure that the gun itself is accurate -- it will shoot where it is aimed out to a considerable. The problem with shooting a snubbie is that the short sight radius makes it very difficult to aim properly. That is all down to your eyes and your skill. Personally, I suck with a snubbie.

I can hit paper with my LCR if I take my time and shoot patiently and properly.

I never bother doing that with that gun. It's not it's intended use (for me). It's a 'get off me gun'. The rear sight could probably fall off and I wouldn't notice it missing.

Snubs are what they are and for most they are not target guns past 7 yards. I agree with Gerry's approach and start long barrel and work your way down. I tried a snub 686 at 100 yards last week, only hit the cardboard once out of six rounds but at least I hit the berm every shot :) Good luck!

I have had good luck with my S&W Model 60 out to 25 yds. These guns are pretty accurate but the rudimentary sights and short sight radius make them difficult to shoot accurately at any kind of distance without a lot of practice.

We shoot a 3 inch barrel or less shoot every year at my club and you would be surprised at how well they can shoot . We shoot at 25 and 50 feet .

Ummm, that's what most here are talking about so it would come as not to much of a surprise.. Those are about 8+ & 16+ yard ranges.

I normally go 7 and 15 for snubs. Though as mentioned, they are accurate to much further distances but it takes practice. It's not the pistols failure but due mostly to the short sight radius. The shorter they are, the more pronounced the angle off is on paper.

50 YDS is a lot to ask of a 2" barrel revolver. if you are consistent at 10-15 yards you are probably doing better than most. I have a 36 and with my old eyes and unsteady hands 7-10 yards is about my limit. The sights on the 36 also leave a lot to be desired. I think it is more of a point gun than an aim gun.

If you really want to see what your iron-sighted revolver can do at distance, try it from Creedmore.

N.B.: There'll be some soot on your pants; don't try to do it while wearing shorts, or anything silly like that.

Last edited:
Way to go! Nice to see you have had some success and are working on longer distances. Best of luck for further improvement.

For myself, I need the heaviest snubbie possible. That's because the only way I can possibly stop a bad guy would be to throw it at him. I'm a decent shot and do well in rifle competition, but I don't think I could hit the proverbial barn door with a snub nose.

Back
Top Bottom