Snowed in Gardner/Ashburnham

CatSnoutSoup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the guy that has plowed my driveway for the past few years always was a bit sketchy as to what time he would show up, but he always showed up.

Well yesterday he did not show up and has not responded to phone messages.

With falling snow and drifts we ended up with about 14 inches or more on our 180 foot long driveway.

Used the Plowz website this morning to get a guy to come out to plow and he gets about halfway up the drive and gets stuck, his truck did not have a lot of ground clearance. He called his friend with a bigger truck to pull him out. And then that guy tries to complete the job but of course the first truck left a big pile in the driveway and the second guy also gets stuck, but manages to get himself free.

In the end it was clear they could not do the job, they left no hard feelings and they got paid.

So now besides the snow cover I also have a 3 foot tall mound of snow blocking the drive where the truck (blade) stalled out.

At this point it looks like I am going to need a front loading tractor to come out and shovel the snow into piles.

If anyone knows anyone in the South Asburnham/Gardner area please message me.

By the way did I mention my big ass Toro snow thrower is in the shop. [crying]

🐯

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
That is why I have an old backup snow blower in case the main one decides to shred the belts again. I smelled some burning rubber this morning so pretty sure they are shredding.

Oh, don't buy an Ariens.

CatSnoutSoup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it like medicine where they get paid for effort and not results?
He got paid by the contractor, I got a refund. The job was to big for his truck but I give him credit for trying.

The plot thickens...

I say screw it I am going to have something to eat and sit down for a minute.
No sooner do I sit down then my wife says there is a truck in the driveway.
It is the guy who originally was supposed to do the job and has run up the driveway and caught stuck.

He has been trying to dig himself out for over an hour now. My wife and I helped for a while but this was my second time today trying to shovel a truck out and I am partially disabled.
If he had come out yesterday none of this would be an issue, so I can't say I am sorry for him. I am sorry he is blocking my driveway.

🐯

Mark from MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I feel your pain. 25 inches here today.400 foot driveway. I would usually plow overnight but the sumb weather slut said additional 2-4 inches.
I was afraid to get the plow truck beached so I usedmy old snowblower to do the whole thing and at least get it opened up.

What a fxcking disaster this is. Took these two days to hunt and ill be moving snow the whole time and then some.

Mountain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I can't believe the guy who made the 3' pile didn't take the effort to clear enough of it to make a pass with the blade. That's a dick move to build a pile like that and just leave it, especially if you aren't physically able to clear it yourself. Now I hate snowplow drivers even more than I already did.

Chris

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
Feel your pain!

I spent all summer rebuilding Big Blue. (1968 Ford 5000 tractor) Was then laid off just as I was about to pull the trigger on a snowblower for it. One more season with the walk behind.

On a good note, come spring I should have a better selection of blowers as contractors are switching to the new Cyclone style blowers and selling off the older style which are perfectly find for my needs. (new design leaves less snow each pass, so it makes for a much faster job and more driveways per hour)

Next year, snow chores will be dealt with this:

1575391062430.png

Nothing like an 80" 50hp snowblower. (^_^)

CatSnoutSoup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plow guy got dug out after 1-1/2 hours of digging. He swooped without a word and has not been seen since, despite originally saying he would be back with a machine.
We made a couple calls asking if folks had a backhoe/front loader but have not had a call back. If you know someone PM me.

Top it off power went out here about three hours ago, we have been running on backup generator using fuel that also heats the house which I ordinarily would not worry about except that we would not be able to get a propane truck up the drive to fill our tank if needed.

The saga continues ☃⛄

🐯

blindfire

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So the guy that has plowed my driveway for the past few years always was a bit sketchy as to what time he would show up, but he always showed up.

Well yesterday he did not show up and has not responded to phone messages.

With falling snow and drifts we ended up with about 14 inches or more on our 180 foot long driveway.

Used the Plowz website this morning to get a guy to come out to plow and he gets about halfway up the drive and gets stuck, his truck did not have a lot of ground clearance. He called his friend with a bigger truck to pull him out. And then that guy tries to complete the job but of course the first truck left a big pile in the driveway and the second guy also gets stuck, but manages to get himself free.

In the end it was clear they could not do the job, they left no hard feelings and they got paid.

So now besides the snow cover I also have a 3 foot tall mound of snow blocking the drive where the truck (blade) stalled out.

At this point it looks like I am going to need a front loading tractor to come out and shovel the snow into piles.

If anyone knows anyone in the South Asburnham/Gardner area please message me.

By the way did I mention my big ass Toro snow thrower is in the shop. [crying]

🐯
The effed up part is this is that cement snow. That shit SUCKS to shovel. My buddy just finally got my driveway done. He plows for the local business park and makes serious bank doing it. He does his close friends' driveways when time permits. $40 for a 120ft driveway ain't too bad in my book.

blindfire

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry for your snow dilemma! Can you tell us why you don’t like Airens? The reason I ask is I’m on my second one since 1969. No problemo 👍
It's a white supremecy snow blower! It's right there in the name!!! lol

Seriously tho. My next snowblower will be a Cubb Kabota (sp?) An NES member did my yard a few years back when I needed a path cleared to the oil pipe on the side of the house. His Cubb was freakin' amazing. That thing was chucking snow like 50 feet into my treeline. I think it was a 3 stage or something like that. Had an auger in front that sucked the snow into the main impeller. Freakin' sweet machine.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
You have a driveway that long and you don't have a tractor with a loader on it or a skid steer?

At a minimum for that kind of deal I'd have at least one backup snowblower!

-Mike

GaryO

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Yeah...no. I'll take the snow over living in FL. :)
Enjoy! I'd rather be fat dumb and sweaty than fat dumb and frostbitten. All kidding aside, with all the metal in my spine the cold stormy weather is hell for me. We just figured that we will wait until my son is out of school.

Koolmoose

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other side of the bridges behind the iron curtain
Cub Cadet has a triple feed model. The front of the auger has an impeller like device in front of the standard auger to help feed snow to the impeller. They look cool. They’re now made by MTD though, so I wonder about the quality. Does anyone else have one of these machines?

i will say that my Airens machines were professional grade and I can’t speak to lower grades quality.

You have a driveway that long and you don't have a tractor with a loader on it or a skid steer?

At a minimum for that kind of deal I'd have at least one backup snowblower!

-Mike
^^^^ This X 100! I only have an 80 ft driveway, four cars wide at the top and I’ve got an old Toro 8/24 as a backup machine.

Stryker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
That is why I have an old backup snow blower in case the main one decides to shred the belts again. I smelled some burning rubber this morning so pretty sure they are shredding.

Oh, don't buy an Ariens.
I am in the hunt for a new snow blower - what issues have you had with an Ariens? Are there better brands out there?

TC McQuade

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
You could rent what you need if you or somebody you know could operate it. You need somebody that knows how to operate it without tearing up the blacktop.

Bobcat, Front end loader $255.00 Day

Excavator, 31 h.p. $295.00 Day

CatSnoutSoup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the first guy attempt to push the snow up the driveway, or did he try to make the first run through with the plow halfway up?
He was attempting to push the snow up the driveway, in a narrow area where you can't really push it off the side. Didn't have the ground clearance and beached his frame, he had tires in the bed of the truck with 20" rims that he had just swapped out for 17" because someone told him low-wide tires were great. :rolleyes:

Got a call back from someone with a loader, they said they are flat out with their commercial jobs and could not do mine before Friday.

🐯

CatSnoutSoup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could rent what you need if you or somebody you know could operate it. You need somebody that knows how to operate it without tearing up the blacktop.

Bobcat, Front end loader $255.00 Day

Excavator, 31 h.p. $295.00 Day
Thanks, in my younger days I operated lots of equipment. And it use to be simple to call Taylor and have them drop off a machine, that is until someone decided that homeowners needed a hoisting license to rent for work on their own property. In any event I thought of it as an option and their machine was not available.

🐯

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The effed up part is this is that cement snow. That shit SUCKS to shovel. My buddy just finally got my driveway done. He plows for the local business park and makes serious bank doing it. He does his close friends' driveways when time permits. $40 for a 120ft driveway ain't too bad in my book.

What would your buddy get for a 180 foot drive where he gets stuck and also leaves a giant pile of snow halfway up?

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I am in the hunt for a new snow blower - what issues have you had with an Ariens? Are there better brands out there?
I don't know what brand to get, but I haven't been pleased with this Ariens I got in 2012. To be fair, part of the initial problems with it were that I got it at Home Depot. Bad idea. I should have gone to Shepherd's off of Route 119. Home Depot doesn't know how to assemble stuff, so the cable tensions were all wrong and skids set to zero height. Thus, the chute control was hard to move and it was jumping all over the place hitting the ground the first time. I'm like WTF this can't be right, and I managed to adjust those properly.

After that, there have been a bunch of problems. I had to have the carburetor replaced the second year, which is nuts. It has shredded the belts twice that power the auger.

And, the main problem is it is really hard to control. This "auto turn" feature is the worst and doesn't work. You can go to forums filled with Ariens fan boys who will argue with anyone who dares to speak ill of the auto turn feature and will make claims you're just using it wrong. Sure, I guess it works if what you snow blow is an ice rink with perfectly smooth surface, and 12 inches of powder snow on it that hasn't hardened up at all. Who does that? How about real life use, on driveways and lawns, up hills and at angles, with stuff at the ground level that has frozen up and made bumps. Using the effing thing leaves me feel like I was in a fight and got beat up after I'm done. Either the auto turn wants to keep trying to turn when I'm going straight, or I want to turn and it has no interest in actually doing a turn. So I'm constantly tilting up the front end, rotating it with my own strength (what little there is), putting it down again and having to continue on my way.

I did manage to improve the "auto turn" issue a year or so go, thanks to recommendations from others here. I replaced the skids with these new skids; I forget what they are called. I also had to set the skids up about half an inch, otherwise the frame of the snow blower keeps catching on every imperfection on the ground and trying to turn, which leaves the surface not fully cleaned, but it is better than catching the frame on the ground all the time. Anyway, with these new skids, it more or less cooperates and lets me go in a straight line. Turning still isn't too easy though unless the ground level below the snow happens to be slippery.

It also does other weird stuff like after a lot of use, something happens and it starts to lose power to the wheels and it doesn't want to go up hills anymore, but it will go if the surface is flat and there isn't much resistance. The engine is still going fine... but it's just like "nah... I'm tired, I'm not gonna turn these wheels for you". I think the friction disk is getting wetness on it and making it have troubles, but I'm not sure what to do about it. When it happens, I'm basically like well I guess I'm done with this for the day, and I go get the backup to finish up.

My backup is a Craftsman from year 2000. It's old, looks bad, can't throw snow as far, has less ergonomic controls (no quick chute movements for me!), but is otherwise easy to handle and works. I recently had the carburetor replaced, and I once had to replace the chute because it broke off (it's plastic) and I've replaced a couple of bolts that had connected the traction drive together that had snapped. But, that's it, and nothing surprising for a 19 year old machine.

Top Bottom