Snow... Who's heading out anyway

A little late but I am finally heading out tomorrow, looks like it is gonna possibly snow/rain. Now I have hunted prior to and after snow, but never during. Anyone like or dis-like hunting during the snow. I know the time before usually makes the deer more active, but unsure what active snow will do to them. I'll probably head out regardless since I can't put the time in this season that I am use to. Thoughts... Thanks

I've never had luck. They seem to bed down if its bad. I got enough snow yesterday that I'm excited to head out today to track.

A little late but I am finally heading out tomorrow, looks like it is gonna possibly snow/rain. Now I have hunted prior to and after snow, but never during. Anyone like or dis-like hunting during the snow. I know the time before usually makes the deer more active, but unsure what active snow will do to them. I'll probably head out regardless since I can't put the time in this season that I am use to. Thoughts... Thanks

Keep you feet and head dry. I like the snow/rain thee deer seem to more comfortable moving. Get to a spot an hour befor sunrise and stay quiet for the first hour and a half after. It also helps to keep your scent down which is a good thing.

Good luck!

Sent from my mobile device.

I am in the same boat as my wife has been on crutches since the beginning of September. All I can get in is PM Saturday hunts so I will be out there. I may hunt some private land in Connecticut with the xbow.

Good luck all.

Bob

Thanks for the advice... I should stay pretty dry, I am going to use a blind I just got a couple of months ago... will sure beat the old walk n' stalk method, I hope! Good luck

I don't know enough about deer behavior to say whether it's good hunting in snow or not, but it sure does make it easy to find tracks. If you find a bunch of tracks in one area, and none elsewhere (e.g. near my blind), then it may help you determine where to set up the next time.

Last edited:
I hunted Tuesday during the snowstorm -the weather was garbage and I'm deer mostly bed-down. But, that was the day my pa had off. The snow is also bad once it gets icy and crunchy, hard to move quietly. Now I hunted yesterday after things had warmed up and was able to move very quietly in the wet grass and leaves. Dang, was planning on maybe going out tomorrow, will have to look at the forecast again.

I don't know enough about deer behavior to say whether it's good hunting in snow or not

One thing I know for sure is that you can't get a deer while laying in bed at home [wink]

If someone figures it out though, please let me know.

One thing I know for sure is that you can't get a deer while laying in bed at home [wink]

If someone figures it out though, please let me know.

I have a buddy who has deer in his backyard all the time if he moved his bed he could do it. He also could do it from a hot tub on his deck!

As far as snow I have had a lot of luck in situations like it is now very lite snow in the early am. I think the deer look for food before the ground is covered... but if it is snowing hard and there is a good covering on the ground I stay in bed

I'm getting a late start but heading out in about 15 minutes. I didn't see anything yesterday, so hopefully the floodgates will open today. Keep warm everyone

Beautiful morning. Heard some movement but never came directly to me. Deer seemed to be on the move this morning though, heard many shots in the distance. Spending some time with the wife and son, then back at it by 1:00.

I saw And heard nothing but squirrels in the 3 hours I was out. My toes were so cold they started to hurt. The cold beat me today.

I saw And heard nothing but squirrels in the 3 hours I was out. My toes were so cold they started to hurt. The cold beat me today.

Me too. But it was my fingers. Not even hand warmers helped. Actually, they made it worse because the warm mittens melted the snow so they got wet. Need to waterproof them.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

My "staying warm routine" is as follows: long underwear, a 2nd pair of long underwear, 2 layers of moisture absorbing long sleeve shirts, 1 AP realtree sweatshirt, i pair of insulated farmer johns (realtree AP), 1 hand muff you wear around your waist and i throw 2 hand warmers in it, 2 warmers stuck to the bottom of my wool socks, a complete carbon lined face mask with a hat on top of that. It sounds like a lot but im stream lined, mobile and warm all day in the stand. Toes: you need to move them to keep them warm, stand up and wiggle them for a couple minutes strait. My woods have been very quiet since shotgun started. Shot at 2 bucks during bow and had twig interference each time. Had a pair of does come in last week that stood behind the only uncut brush around my stand and ran off. Not sure where the deer are lately??

We jumped a group of 6 does and a buck. Ended up pushing them twice in a large area. The jumped the river we circled around to push that area it was well covered by other hunters we heard 3 shots and I'm sure they were at the deer we moved.

saw 10 does and a spikebuck tonight, coulda dropped them all, had 2 does about 4 feet from my natural blind looking at me

Well all I ended up with this afternoon was a deep chill and a new bottle of JD! Was definitely raw today. Wood stoves cranking and JD is poured. Even though I had no action this morning and afternoon, really was a beautiful day to be in the woods. Life is good

Well all I ended up with this afternoon was a deep chill and a new bottle of JD! Was definitely raw today. Wood stoves cranking and JD is poured. Even though I had no action this morning and afternoon, really was a beautiful day to be in the woods. Life is good

Eerily similar to my day, including the fire and drink.[wink]

My "staying warm routine" is as follows: long underwear, a 2nd pair of long underwear, 2 layers of moisture absorbing long sleeve shirts, 1 AP realtree sweatshirt, i pair of insulated farmer johns (realtree AP), 1 hand muff you wear around your waist and i throw 2 hand warmers in it, 2 warmers stuck to the bottom of my wool socks, a complete carbon lined face mask with a hat on top of that. It sounds like a lot but im stream lined, mobile and warm all day in the stand. Toes: you need to move them to keep them warm, stand up and wiggle them for a couple minutes strait. My woods have been very quiet since shotgun started. Shot at 2 bucks during bow and had twig interference each time. Had a pair of does come in last week that stood behind the only uncut brush around my stand and ran off. Not sure where the deer are lately??

What are Farmer Johns? Pants?

Yesterday stayed in ground blind for about 3 hrs. Heard some shots but saw nothing. Decided to pack up blind and walk the area. Spent the next two hours seeing nothing but other hunters, who some of which said they saw deer, no shots taken. I think they bedded deep in the woods yesterday.
Stayed pretty warm with exception to hands. They were fine in wool mitten in the blind but can't wear em when I'm out stalking. Have a thin pair of neoprene hunting gloves I stick a small pair of synthetic winter type gloves in to add too but a lot of the time it does not cut it. What do u guys use for warm gloves to hunt in? My hands always due me in. Looking for something I can wear and shoot in. Rest of my attire is fine.

Nagano, I use a pair of thin gloves over shelled with a larger pair of fingerless gloves that have a mitten that flips over the end that is outside of that glove. So if I am sitting still I can have the mittens, or I can even just leave my trigger finger out of the mitten.

For the mitten gloves I use something like this... http://www.amazon.com/Fleece-Fingerless-Mittens-Gloves-Regular/dp/B001I0846I

Nagano, I use a pair of thin gloves over shelled with a larger pair of fingerless gloves that have a mitten that flips over the end that is outside of that glove. So if I am sitting still I can have the mittens, or I can even just leave my trigger finger out of the mitten.

For the mitten gloves I use something like this... http://www.amazon.com/Fleece-Fingerless-Mittens-Gloves-Regular/dp/B001I0846I

Same here. Ho really cold days I put a hand warmer in each finger pocket.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom