Snow 2019 - 2020

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We barely had a dusting Sunday night, and about an inch Monday night into mid-day Tuesday.

I keep telling people how great it is up north. We don't get the huge dumps that people get when they're closer to the ocean.

Jason m

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
37 hours plowing in the loader, between Sun when I got up till 5pm Tues im running on 4.5 hours of sleep. But the money will def help with Christmas coming up. And why doesn't Groton have a Cumberland farms or at least a DD open past ten o'clock, had to drive to Pepperell for my wake up juice.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
We barely had a dusting Sunday night, and about an inch Monday night into mid-day Tuesday.

I keep telling people how great it is up north. We don't get the huge dumps that people get when they're closer to the ocean.
I bet the snow that you do get, is closer to the real stuff too than the wet cement garbage everyone down here gets...

-Mike

SpencerT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m half a mile outside the center of Townsend and got a solid 22-26” of snow. I’ve snow blowed and shoveled 4 times this storm and will have to clean the plow berm at the end of the driveway before it turns to ice tonight.

best part is I just paid for my plow last week. Install is next week.... FML

Reactions: TLB

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'd say we got at least 15-16" in Pelham. Final tally: plowed my neighbors driveways twice, mine three times. Shoveled three times, snow blowed the trails around the yard and on the patio twice.

Backed into the chain link fence next to the house this morning when my daughter distracted me, and then caught my blade on the retaining wall and pulled out 8" this afternoon doing cleanup. Threw my back out shoveling too. I'd rate this as my worst day of plowing in 25 years. At least it was my own property damaged.

CoastieRon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I'd say we got at least 15-16" in Pelham. Final tally: plowed my neighbors driveways twice, mine three times. Shoveled three times, snow blowed the trails around the yard and on the patio twice.

Backed into the chain link fence next to the house this morning when my daughter distracted me, and then caught my blade on the retaining wall and pulled out 8" this afternoon doing cleanup. Threw my back out shoveling too. I'd rate this as my worst day of plowing in 25 years. At least it was my own property damaged.
The worst . My back is smoked too, but the wife was nice enough to let me in the she shed (hot tub was great)

Blackmore

NES Member
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Only about 14" total which is unusually little for us in these sorts of storms. Snow-blew three times including an area usually plowed but still too soft with no frost in the ground. One shear pin replaced Monday -5 minute fix - but yesterday spent an hour on the floor in the garage replacing the bolt that holds the axles together. Luckily I had a rated bolt the right size.

allen-1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
6" to 8" here in Metrowest. I've been sick for the last couple months - doctor can't figure it out - but I have fatigue and muscle weakness. I lost control of my Honda snowblower when I hit the berm and then fell over the berm head first. Considered lying head down in the street until someone drove by but after a couple of minutes I struggled to my feet to see my wife coming down the driveway. She still cares about me when she needs the driveway cleared. :)
You might want to see another doctor? Seriously. Because that sounds awful.

garandman

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 87.5%
7   1   0
I agree. Problem being the national weather total versus the actual total is a 14 inch differential?
Newport NH averages 70” of snow a year. Mount Sunapee, 5 miles away, averages 125”. Last week in NH it was snowing everywhere about 1,000 ft elevation and raining at 996’ (per GPS).

If you drive up Route 3 in MA, when you get near Billerica, it will be snowing there and no place else north or south.

In the same storm three years ago, Logan airport got 7” we got 11”, West Roxbury got 16”. And the Blue Hills Observatory got 19”. From our house to Logan is 4.8 miles.

There are all sorts of microclimates when it comes to snowfall. The significance is the same stations report each storm, and keep records.

GomerPile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Last night I learned something important about electric cars and snowblowers.

The charge cords DO NOT SNOW BLOW!!!! Instead, the cord tangles itself in the auger, then it rips the socket out of the side of the car, then it rips the cord out of the charge station....then I realize what just happened and turn off the auger....about 3 seconds from start to finish.

:mad:

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
The paper's headline was 8" in Taunton. Sure. 8" over 2 sets of the storm with a pile of rain in between. And wet roads and grass. So we're left with about 3" of snow on the ground. Hell, I think we had more snow on the ground at 11am than at 2pm yesterday. It just sorta slumped. The temp must have come up enough.

Not complaining. Not at all. Very happy the southern Tauntonian area got very little. Looked like Dig-town and Slummerset got very little snow as well.

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
There are all sorts of microclimates when it comes to snowfall. The significance is the same stations report each storm, and keep records.
Good point. I am about three miles from Westover as the crow flies. They reported about 19.6" and I got an estimated 12-13".

radioman

NES Member
Rating - 96%
24   1   0
I’m half a mile outside the center of Townsend and got a solid 22-26” of snow. I’ve snow blowed and shoveled 4 times this storm and will have to clean the plow berm at the end of the driveway before it turns to ice tonight.

best part is I just paid for my plow last week. Install is next week.... FML
I’m also in Townsend. I’m at the top of Bayberry hill. National weather
just updated the total for Townsend. 25.2 inches. The only town
listed that’s more than us is Fitchburg at 27.1. So it looks
like we hit the jackpot.

FiremanBob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
We had 26 inches. The snowblower just paid for itself. I put 200 lbs of salt in the back of the truck bed to keep the wheels down. The Jotul is keeping the house at 70+ with great efficiency. I'm about to start a fresh loaf of home-made bread to go with the chicken soup we made yesterday.

Life in NH is good.

Obie1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Good point. I am about three miles from Westover as the crow flies. They reported about 19.6" and I got an estimated 12-13".
Happens to me a lot. I leave work in Hadley where it is raining and 20 minutes later when I get home (1200 feet elevation and generally 8 degrees colder) it's snowing like hell.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Oh they lie. Or they use a measurement so often as to get teh MAXIMUM amount of snow.

NWS is about 2 miles from my house. Microclimate my ass. I've never had more snow than they say. Or the same amount. Maybe a portion-of. In addition, the weather mysteriously warms up faster in my AO than at NWS. 2 miles. They get more sun, too. The difference can be as much as 5 degrees some mornings. Or their instruments suck. I'll go with that one. It normalizes by 9-10am every day. Somehow the area where the temp readings are taken has an ability to hold the cool longer than it should.

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Only about 14" total which is unusually little for us in these sorts of storms. Snow-blew three times including an area usually plowed but still too soft with no frost in the ground. One shear pin replaced Monday -5 minute fix - but yesterday spent an hour on the floor in the garage replacing the bolt that holds the axles together. Luckily I had a rated bolt the right size.
Lifeless Hack # 88 Replace the shear pin on your snow blower with a grade 8 bolt and it will stop breaking every damned storm!

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Not to jinx myself, but I haven't blown a sheer pin in. . . . . 10 years or more.

Hell, I got the local newspaper stuck in my snowblower once. (I almost did it again last night!) Killed the engine instead of shearing the pin. ???? That was teh old blower. But even this new one - nothing. I do keep my driveway and street pretty damend clear though. And Ariens comes with 2 spare pins on the unit for faster replacement.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
50s and rain early next week... Good riddance to the snow at that point, I hope.
That kind of weather is the epitome of why most new england winters are shit. If it just stayed cold and snowed on and off for 4 months it would be much easier to deal
with. Now instead we have douche-rain coming that will melt the snow rapidly and flood basements, etc... and rivers of garbage all over the place which turns into ice, etc. And rivers of wet car-eating schmoo on the roads constantly that wouldn't be there if it just stayed cold. So we will have to go through this bullshit again, again, and again. Plus the shifting temperature basically promotes the existence of potholes. Melt, freeze, melt, freeze, melt freeze blah blah blah

-Mike

TLB

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That kind of weather is the epitome of why most new england winters are shit. If it just stayed cold and snowed on and off for 4 months it would be much easier to deal
with. Now instead we have douche-rain coming that will melt the snow rapidly and flood basements, etc... and rivers of garbage all over the place which turns into ice, etc. And rivers of wet car-eating schmoo on the roads constantly that wouldn't be there if it just stayed cold. So we will have to go through this bullshit again, again, and again. Plus the shifting temperature basically promotes the existence of potholes. Melt, freeze, melt, freeze, melt freeze blah blah blah

-Mike
You should move north, LOL.

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0

-Mike
I grew up on continental climate. Once there is snow, it doesn't melt 'til spring. Every day it's boring same cold weather.

I kind of love this shitshow, it's never boring. Today we get two feet of snow, next week it's all gone and people walk around in shirts and t-shirts. It's friggin awesome!

Plus all the drama, all the doom and gloom of impending foot of snow, the camaraderie of people cleaning up store shelves ... Well, sometimes a foot turns into three and sometimes it's literally nothing. I'd rather not live anywhere else.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I grew up on continental climate. Once there is snow, it doesn't melt 'til spring. Every day it's boring same cold weather.

I kind of love this shitshow, it's never boring. Today we get two feet of snow, next week it's all gone and people walk around in shirts and t-shirts. It's friggin awesome!

Plus all the drama, all the doom and gloom of impending foot of snow, the camaraderie of people cleaning up store shelves ... Well, sometimes a foot turns into three and sometimes it's literally nothing. I'd rather not live anywhere else.
I don't care if it snows once a week, it's the cyclical garbage that gets annoying. I swear the more f***y the winter is the more likely I am to get sick, too. And rain, at 34-40F.... I'm pretty sure that's the 2nd kind of weather in hell. [rofl]

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
We got 24" here. I had to go remove snow 4 times over the 3 days.

But... I was driving through town earlier today and it suddenly dawned on me what's good about all this snow. It covered up all the effing passive aggressive hateful "hate has no home here" signs! None left! All buried! I hate those effing signs. Each time I see one, I'm like "I know what you mean. You hate anyone who didn't vote for Hillary". Well screw you too! At least I don't virtue signal about it.

Top Bottom