• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Sniper - History Channel 9PM tonight

Monadnock

NES Member
ATT. Mod ...UPDATE: Whoops ...it was a dupe, sorry 'bout that. I know that I used "sniper" in the search terms. I don't know how I missed it. Must have been a minor stroke.

Maj. Boom Boom beat me to it by a couple of days!

P.S. It was a great program, that included details about equipment and techniques.

northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86719

---original post below this line---

I searched, and could not find a citation, so this is just an FYI. It looks like it'll be an interesting program.

Sniper: Inside the Crosshairs

The science and psychology behind some of the greatest shots in military history; snipers deconstruct their missions, ranging from Vietnam to Iraq and Afghanistan; a Canadian sniper recounts hitting a Taliban fighter from 1.5 miles away.

Last edited:
I actually SAW Mawhinney's rifle at the USMC Museum. It was turned in with the rest of his gear and disappeared into the bowels of the weapons processing system.

Some intelligent leatherneck decided to look up the SN of Mawhinney's gun, then track it down. He was successful - the gun was found, virtually as turned in. It is now in its "as-used" state in a special display.

I highly recommend touring this museum.

There's a book called "Shadow Team" out there that covers that crew and is written in first person. Pretty good read, google it.

Duplicate Post Alert

ATT. Mod ...UPDATE: Whoops ...it was a dupe, sorry 'bout that. I know that I used "sniper" in the search terms. I don't know how I missed it. Must have been a minor stroke.

Maj. Boom Boom beat me to it by a couple of days!

P.S. It was a great program, that included details about equipment and techniques.

northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=86719

---original post below this line---

I searched, and could not find a citation, so this is just an FYI. It looks like it'll be an interesting program.

Sniper: Inside the Crosshairs

The science and psychology behind some of the greatest shots in military history; snipers deconstruct their missions, ranging from Vietnam to Iraq and Afghanistan; a Canadian sniper recounts hitting a Taliban fighter from 1.5 miles away.

One minor tecnical nit to pick. When dealing with longer barrelled rifles such as sniper and target rifles, slower (not faster) burning powder almost often results in highner MVs.

While the program was great, I just get a feeling the Army got slighted.

While the program was great, I just get a feeling the Army got slighted.

I agree. While the show was great, I could have skipped the re-creation segments, and included somebody like

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2003-12-26-sniper-usat_x.htm
By Matthew Cox, Special for USA TODAY
SAMARA, Iraq — The sun was sinking at the desert's edge when Sgt. Randall Davis, an Army sniper, spotted his target: an armed Iraqi on a rooftop about 300 yards away.
"It was just getting dark. I saw a guy step in front of the light," Davis, 25, recalls.

He says he knew he was watching another sniper by the way the man stepped back into the shadows and crept along the roofline to spy on a squad from his unit, B Company of the 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry Regiment, known as the "5-20."

"Most people, when they get on a roof, will just move around and do what they've got to do," Davis says. "This guy was moving slowly, trying to have smooth motions, trying to stay in the shadows."

From his own rooftop position, Davis tracked the man through the sight of his M-14 rifle.

He didn't have to wait long before the enemy sniper made another mistake. "He silhouetted his rifle from the waist up, trying to look over at the guys in the courtyard."

Davis fired one shot. "I hit him in the chest. He fell back. His rifle flew out of his hands."

It was Davis' eighth confirmed kill. Earlier, he had killed seven enemy fighters in a single day.

The story of seven in one day is quite interesting, but am having trouble finding it now

Back
Top Bottom