• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Snapping Turtle? Woodchuck?

Hey guys,

As I was perusing the abstracts this year, I noticed that a few animals have year round open seasons. Seeing as I'm really bored, and it's getting nice out, I kinda want to get out in the woods/field again, and do some hunting.

My question is this....does anyone know where in Central MA one can find snapping turtles or woodchucks? Public land would be most preferable.

Thanks!

Take a look at a few WMA in the area where you want to go. Obviously you need water. Were you planning on shooting the snapping turtles?

I'll bet Leominster State Forest and LSA's land is littered with woodchucks. I'm a member at LSA if you're interested. I'd love to get out there with my 10/22.

OPEN SEASONS
The following species may be taken year-round (except during shotgun deer season) by licensed hunters with no daily or seasonal bag limit: English sparrow, flying squirrel, red squirrel, chipmunk, porcupine, skunk, starling, weasel, woodchuck.

Yup. I realize snapping turtle season is open year round. I cited the other open seasons as the OP seemed unclear as to what other animals have an open season.

I know how to read.

The only ones that interested me were snappers and woodchucks, hence those are what I asked about.

And thanks everyone for the suggestions!

has any one eaten wood chuck? is it good? I have tried beaver and was surprised it was great, i would imagine wood chuck would be close

I realize this isn't central Mass, but I've seen some huge snapping turtles on the Ipswich River in Topsfield.

Any good locations in Eastern mass or the Cape for woodchuck?

You should be able to find landowners who would be happy to have you reduce their woodchuck population. Just look for anyplace with nicely maintained rock walls.

OPEN SEASONS
The following species may be taken year-round (except during shotgun deer season) by licensed hunters with no daily or seasonal bag limit: English sparrow, flying squirrel, red squirrel, chipmunk, porcupine, skunk, starling, weasel, woodchuck.
I suspect porcupine would be tastier than snapping turtle or woodchuck.

has any one eaten wood chuck? is it good? I have tried beaver and was surprised it was great, i would imagine wood chuck would be close

Beaver is delicious, but make sure you remove the fur and clean it well before getting it heated and eating it.

If it's snappers you're after, I can only offer the advice of cleaning it well. I hear that it almost cooks in it's own juices and tastes pretty good, assuming you can get past the swampy taste that they get as they age.

Lake Rohunta on Rt 2 in Orange for snappers. I believe the world record came from there.

508563.jpg

Growing up in Illinois we used to catch snappers all summer. We would nail a big rat trap to a dock about 6-10"s above water, put some chicken liver on there and check them throughout the night while we were frog gigging. Turtle cooks up real nice. Just cook it slow. If we had some real big ones in the area ( 50-60 pounder's) we would use a metal trap. For woodchucks, see if any local golf courses would let you take care of their problem. We have shot a lot of them at local courses.

If I kill all the golfers, they'll lock me up and throw away the key

[video=youtube_share;ocoOqgVwkTE]http://youtu.be/ocoOqgVwkTE[/video]
With all the chemicals they use, I'm not sure I'd be willing to eat a golf course woodchuck.

If I kill all the golfers, they'll lock me up and throw away the key
<(Long-lost YoutUbe video)>
With all the chemicals they use, I'm not sure I'd be willing to eat a golf course woodchuck.
It's a deeply intertwingled ecosystem.
Dateline Lomira, Wisconsin
WKOW-ABC Ch. 27: Sheriff: Bullet intended for woodchuck hits nearby golfer

(On Police Blotter Fax Friday,
it was reported that the woodchuck's name was "Ernest").

Back
Top Bottom